Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a deposit down on a 2002 MDX Touring w/NAV but cancelled and decided to go with the Audi allroad. I currently drive a 1999 A4 Avant but it is getting small, especially with 2 kids in car seats. I liked the MDX for the extra space and third row, roomier than the allroad, nice power in the 3.5 liter, comfortable seats, slightly better gas mileage, great Navigation system, and Acura excellent reliability (I previously has two Intergra's. However, there were some issues that put it in second place.

I found that the driving position to be a bit awkward even though the seats were comfortable. For instance, the headrest is not tiltable, there is no place to put your left foot (no dead pedal), and the center console sits up to high which is uncomfortable when you need to shift into other gears. I also thought that with two kids in child seats would make in difficult for a 3rd row passenger to get in and out. You would either have to put both kids right next to each other and hope they don't kill each other or take one of the childs seats in and out every time you had a 3rd passenger, or the 3rd passenger could climb through the back. I thougt all that would be more of a hassel than it's worth. Some other minor stuff too was lack of one touch up/down for all windows, xenon lights, and headlamp washers, and a hand brake.

The allroad has everything the MDX is missing and has a nicer interior and handles better with more power. I didn't feel the turbo lag like I do in my 1.8T A4. And being a current Audi owner, my lease payment works out to be $75 per month less than the MDX even though the MSRP is $6800 more. I got the allroad at $2650 under MSRP and an interest rate of 3.19%. The MDX was list price at bit over 5% interest. Plus Audi gives you free maintence for the lease term.

The MDX would have been my second choice. I ruled out the Volvo XC (not enough power for the price) and BMW 325xi wagon and X5 and Audi A4 Avant (not enough room), and the Audi A6 Avant (not enough power). I think the allroad was the best choice for what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Does the Allroad come with a third row of seats? If not, doesn't that defeat the argument that having two child seats doesn't give you access to the third row? Just wondering... if it does, I guess it is designed better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
waaay to go !!

i think the allroad is a great car, my other car being an M3, I wanted the allroad so badly. but my wife likes the MDX

I think the MDX is a great car, its the best value in its class and i am very very happy with it, and yes looking back it was the more practical choice, we needed the cargo room.

but i would be happier with two turbos under my foot.

:D

i think the third row seats is optional.

jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Third row seat.

MDXtrous,

Yes, the allroad has an optional third row seat which faces the back window. I did not opt for it as it only seems accomodating for children 6-10 years old. My wife wouldn't sit back there and she would feel unsafe about putting our 2.5 and 1 year old there too. Plus there is no cargo room with passengers back there. At least with the MDX you can have one third row seat folded down and still have enough cargo space. But the allroad bench is a two seater which, again, leaves hardly any additional cargo room and it has to be removed if you want access to the whole trunk. The main reason for wanting the MDX is for the 12 times a year we bring me wifes grandmother on trips. She sits up front with me and my wife squeezes between the two kids. In my A4 Avant my wife is really squished and has hardly any leg room, and she is only 5.1' and 98lbs! She'll have a bit more room in the allroad, about 1 inch additional width and 2.5 inches of additional leg room. So I was willing to sacrifice some additional room for more luxury and perfomance. Besides, I'll never be sitting in between my kids!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Car seat in third row?

Couldn't one of the car seats be placed in the third row? I believe that Acura provides hooks for the car seat in the third row also. That way there would be no squishing :) (I don't have a kid yet, so I don't know if it would be feasible practically, but in theory it could work....)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Third row seat.

MDXTrous,

You could put a child seat in the third row but in would be cumbersome. Getting a child back there and buckleing them up would be difficult. Moreover, unless you left it there permantley, it would be difficult to remove it in and out to put in my wife's Subaru Forester. We could get 2 more child seats, one set for each vehicle, but that would be expensive. We like the Britax Roundabout which sells for $200.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I guess I'm just trying to put a round screw into a square hole. Just trying to justify something that does not work for everyone. Oh well, enjoy the Allroad!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congratulations! Great choice. My wife drives our 2001 MDX but I have a 2002 allroad. The allroad is better in snow, more fun to drive, has a better interior and most important you can get a 6-speed stick. If you need more space, get a Thule or Yakima box. You can actually reach it on the allroad roof. I also owned a '98 A4 Avant and love the additional space in the allroad. See you on the allroad forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking at the Allroad also before buying my MDX 2 months ago. No offense but the Allroad look like a station wagon with bigger wheels. Audi has good reputiation of luxuries but not on reliability. I think the Allroad is same the thing as a sadden but higher of ground. Their not in the same category "SUV".
At least the X5 and Rx300 look like an SUV.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're right, the allroad is not an SUV. That is what most allroad owners like about it. Lots of space with the handling of a sports sedan. As for reliablity, I have owned 5 Acuras and all were very reliable. I have also owned 3 Audis, my '96 A4 had a few problems that the dealer easily fixed and my '98 A4 never had a problem over 150k miles. So far my allroad has been perfect over 12k miles. Not sure I understand your comment regarding "higher of ground" but the allroad had more ground clearance than the MDX when set to its highest level.

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah, watching the allroad go up and down is pretty wild....and it does get up there, i think the specs are equal if not more ground clearance than the mdx

what i liked most about the allroad was the performance, its a notch above the A6 avant, a little of the "S" power in a wagon without getting an S6.

BUT, the primary reason for me choosing the MDX was the cargo space which with 2 dogs was desperately needed especially if we ever have a child...

jeff

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jeff, I have to agree about space. My allroad is fine for weekend ski trips with a thule box on the roof but my wife's MDX is far better at hauling stuff inside the vehicle. We have found it most useful on the beach, which requires hauling a grill, lawn chairs, cooler, folding table, blankets, towels and our yellow lab. I really enjoy the look of amazement on pick-up truck drivers as I load plywood flat into the MDX at Home Depot. What makes the MDX so great is that it can haul so much, gets decent mpg, handles well and is easy to park. (unlike other behemoth SUVs like the Suburban or Expedition)

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
Owwdi

Great choice! Think the AA is one of the better looking "Sport Activity Vehicles out on the market. Good to know that you have had trouble free Audis. I never had the guts to pony up for the Audi brand due to all of the CReport ratings and a cousin who had a very bad experience with Audi. I think the AA is a brilliant design, again great choice, you're lucky to own an X and the AA!

·
Registered
103 Posts
It seems to be a common situation...many allroad forum members have the allroad and MDX in their garage. Don't be afraid of Audis. Since '96 quality has really improved. Just don't buy a new model the first year it is out. They do a great job of engineering and quickly work out bugs by the second model year.
If you have the luxury of leasing you will be fine. (I drive 40k miles a year and can't) Audi pays for all maintenance and repairs for 50k miles, so if you lease it for 45k miles it shouldn't cost you a penny no matter what breaks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've got to second Paul S.'s thoughts here...we've had an Audi since 98 and it's been an excellent investment. Great drive, nice looks, and reliability!

Only problem is it's a magnet for accidents lately for some reason. I got hit twice in two months in the car--the only 2 times I drove it in the 2 months! I think it's other cars trying to bang up the poor thing out of jealousy...

Really, time to put that reputation of unreliability to bed...

Rob :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Robyjo
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing