Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone want to know how you can get a deal on a MDX. Well first everyone thinks that the dealer want discount the MDX, because they don't have too. Well I know of one dealer who has 18 MDX in their inventory right now. They will have to discount those MDX"S to sale them. The reason they have them is because another local dealer is discounting the MDX and has been all year. This is a big secret to the consumer but not to the other dealer. You see when you think that your market is greater you want do anything for the customer.(discount) But when the customer gets smart and call around,their surprise that there are discount out there. They just have to keep checking.:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discounting in some areas, like the Bay Area, is offering MSRP. Because other dealers are forcing options.
Locale is a major factor. In a large metropolitan area, where there are a good number of dealers, each has a large market share and will do whatever they can get away with. Would love to see a dealer near me with 18 sitting on the lot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
DaleB is right on about Northern CA.

DaleB said:
Discounting in some areas, like the Bay Area, is offering MSRP. Because other dealers are forcing options.
Locale is a major factor. In a large metropolitan area, where there are a good number of dealers, each has a large market share and will do whatever they can get away with. Would love to see a dealer near me with 18 sitting on the lot.
Could not agree more with DaleB. I found 3 dealers out of 10 at MSRP with a wait list and rest had a couple (not many) of 02's on the lot for 2-5K over MSRP in ADM or overpriced options or both. It is all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!:4:

·
Registered
216 Posts
just my opinion,

MSRP is not a deal just because certain dealers are jerking people by charging above MSRP ... which is why raymdxking says you need to shop around ... MSRP should be the starting price no if ands or but ... if i see 40k on the sticker and a salesman tries to tell me its really 44k ... im off to the next dealer ... if you let a dealer talk you into buying even $1 above MSRP ... you need to find someone who knows the market to help you shop for a car ... which brings me back to my famous phrase "someone needs to smack the sh*t out of Acura" basiclly for getting the consumers for thier extra cash which is not needed ... anything above MSRP is just GREED...!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
RE: modern times...

I'm going to probably piss somebody off, but I don't care.

Used to be, you went to buy a house or something equally expensive, as in it would take a big chunk of income for a long time, you needed to sweat for the cash. Meant that if were going to seriously make an offer for the house, you didn't want to give more than a nickel more the the lowest the seller would except...

Along comes the internet boom. Kids not even old enough to drink are starting companies and crazy people through stock offers at 'em that make 'em godzillionaires... They decide not to crash in a dorm room. Instead they want a crib worthy of MTV. Something on the market? Make an offer above that just so you don't waste time. Same twisted logic eventaully invades lower ranks of the market, and WHAM run away real estate values... Those run away values meant that even folks who DID sweat to earn a living have a GIANT pile of 'free money' called home equity right under their butt

Same kind of mentality has WARPED the usual shopping process for "in demand" vehicles. Dealers can't be blamed for trying to get a pslice of pie that idiot consumers are serving up.

I just saw a thread on edmunds about somebody who bought a Pilot with AFTERMARKET leather, seat heaters, an moonroof -- ONLY paid $34,300. Um, EXCUSE ME, you gave up warranty time, features, luxury nameplate for $400!

Fools and their money...

mymdxiscoming said:
just my opinion,

MSRP is not a deal just because certain dealers are jerking people by charging above MSRP ... which is why raymdxking says you need to shop around ... MSRP should be the starting price no if ands or but ... if i see 40k on the sticker and a salesman tries to tell me its really 44k ... im off to the next dealer ... if you let a dealer talk you into buying even $1 above MSRP ... you need to find someone who knows the market to help you shop for a car ... which brings me back to my famous phrase "someone needs to smack the sh*t out of Acura" basiclly for getting the consumers for thier extra cash which is not needed ... anything above MSRP is just GREED...!

·
Registered
33 Posts
cut a deal if vehicle has miles on it

my acura had 103 miles on it, in fact i got
1100$ discount.
i guess the average new vehicle will have 8-16 miles on it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dealers in NJ offering MSRP now

Most dealers in NJ are offering 02 models that are left in the lots at MSRP. But I think you can get a below MSRP plus some accessory like wheel lock and BSM with that. ;)
I got mine 02 T+Nav at Springfield Acura in NJ at the discount, and they still have couples of 02 model, range from base to T+nav left in the lot. Ask for Lu, he is my sales rep. Let him know that Frank recommand you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2003 MDX

Could you let us know how much discount you got, as I am in the market for an MDX. Any information from fellow forum users buying in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsilvania would be helpful.

·
Registered
216 Posts
what was the exact discount ...?

·
Registered
117 Posts
BDMDX

BDMDX said:
Could you let us know how much discount you got, as I am in the market for an MDX. Any information from fellow forum users buying in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Pennsilvania would be helpful.
BDMDX,
I live in Central Jersey as well and I have an order in for '03 at Precision Acura in Princeton. They are selling at MSRP, no forced options.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Deal in NJ

Everybody.
ONLY 2 dealership offer 03 at MSRP.
Precision Acura at Princeton, and Monclair Acura. Monclair Acura have to wait 6 months to get a car, they got 30 cars a month, and has over 130 ppl in the list waiting for the car. I got my at Precision too. Unfortunately, I can't wait any longer for the car. the waiting list is shorter at Precision and they don't add forced options.

Ocean Acura--> Just greedy, ask 2k over MSRP for 02 still on 10/3.
Brunswick Acura-->got varies models, Base, Base+Nav, T+Nav @ MSRP. Don't like their sales attitude.
Bridgewater-->has no 02 now.
Springfield Acura-->have 7~10 02 in stocks. Ask MSRP, But I got a discount for $700 off, but added BSM for extra $70. Added a Window Etch upgrade insurance for $300 (5 years, offer you $5000 besides the insurance coverage). My sales rep is Lu, Let him Frank sent you there. He is very nice, but you may have to bargain with them a little bit. I was initially hoping to get $1500 off MSRP for 02 as someone posted here before. But that is what I could get so far. I just love the Navi, has no regred for missing the 20 extra hp, and engine refinement.
Hope this will help anybody that shopping for 02 models now.

·
Registered
216 Posts
if you get any where near $1500 ... please let me know ... i live in delaware and castle acura is asking msrp on 03's ... no 02's in stock ...

also is the possible $$1500 off for 03 or 02 ...?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: RE: modern times...

renov8r said:
I'm going to probably piss somebody off, but I don't care.

Used to be, you went to buy a house or something equally expensive, as in it would take a big chunk of income for a long time, you needed to sweat for the cash. Meant that if were going to seriously make an offer for the house, you didn't want to give more than a nickel more the the lowest the seller would except...

Along comes the internet boom. Kids not even old enough to drink are starting companies and crazy people through stock offers at 'em that make 'em godzillionaires... They decide not to crash in a dorm room. Instead they want a crib worthy of MTV. Something on the market? Make an offer above that just so you don't waste time. Same twisted logic eventaully invades lower ranks of the market, and WHAM run away real estate values... Those run away values meant that even folks who DID sweat to earn a living have a GIANT pile of 'free money' called home equity right under their butt

Same kind of mentality has WARPED the usual shopping process for "in demand" vehicles. Dealers can't be blamed for trying to get a pslice of pie that idiot consumers are serving up.

I just saw a thread on edmunds about somebody who bought a Pilot with AFTERMARKET leather, seat heaters, an moonroof -- ONLY paid $34,300. Um, EXCUSE ME, you gave up warranty time, features, luxury nameplate for $400!

Fools and their money...

No quarrel here, babe...

You forgot that the masses aren't spending real money... their LEASING or financing. (Talk about foolish)

There's a thread here where someone purchased their MDX 3 months ago for $47,300 PLUS TAX, and now owes $48k?!?!? (He put a few k in options on...) He wants to sell it for his loan amount.....

Ard

Did I miss something or has no one asked ray WHERE these 18 MDXs are located???

·
Registered
185 Posts
mymdxiscoming said:
if you get any where near $1500 ... please let me know ... i live in delaware and castle acura is asking msrp on 03's ... no 02's in stock ...

also is the possible $$1500 off for 03 or 02 ...?
Do you have to pay sales tax in Delaware. I thought that is a tax free state. You will save 3k in tax. Why buy it in NJ?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: RE: modern times...

ardvarkus said:

You forgot that the masses aren't spending real money... their LEASING or financing. (Talk about foolish)

What's the problem with leasing or financing if you are not sacrificing real property over your head, and a sound investment portfolio?

Even in todays economy I can make more in bonds than the interest rate on a typical car loan.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
2003MDX.

Not sure how it works where you are but we pay the tax of the vehicle based on where you live. In Georgia, they have differnet tax rates from county to county so if someone had a dealership in the lower tax county, the other dealers would never sell. I would assume the same is true up there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You pay State Taxes when you register your vehicle, does not mater where you purchase. I would like to confirm that it is the same way with leasing also. Other wise every one will buy the vehicle from states like DE and NH where there are no sales tax. You can enjoy no tax on purchase if you reside in those states, which by the way has higher property and other taxes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's the same with leasing - found that out the hard way. I leased my current Explorer when I lived in Alabama, but then just a few months later moved to Illinois. I got hit with a double whammy - in AL, the tax was not very high and was part of my monthly payment (I think it added like $5 or $10/month). In IL, the tax was higher AND HAD TO BE PAID IN FULL WHEN I LICENSED THE CAR!!! :eek:

So, I had to write a check for something like $2-3k to get my plates.:3: I suspect it might be similar in other states...

(OK, I'm done venting now...) :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Re: Re: RE: modern times...

DaleB said:

What's the problem with leasing or financing if you are not sacrificing real property over your head, and a sound investment portfolio?

Even in todays economy I can make more in bonds than the interest rate on a typical car loan.
No problem IF you actually have the money to invest in other instruments...

(I'd quibble with you that bonds are paying more than Acura financing rates....Wer'e not talking mitsubiushi 0.0%)

But my point was, investment scenarios aside, folks aren't looking at $40k or $45k out of their pocket, they look at "monthly payments" to determine if they can afford the vehicle.

I use the rule of thumb that I can afford it if I can pay cash. If I can, THEN I decide how to deal with investments and cash flow.....

Ard

·
Registered
216 Posts
ardvarkus:

thats a good way to look @ things ... @ least if you want to stay out of debt ... thats something i follow when im looking to buy a item ... and to add on to what you said ... i also believe the only true thing that a person should pay monthly on is a Morgage(excluding bills of course) ... due to the cost of home VS the amount of money the average person makes .. it is unlikelly for them to pay cash or considering it as a cash item ...

the mdx will be the first automobile that i financed ... i'm not looking forward to making monthly payments ... but its just something im going to have to do ... just as a "can i handle responsibility type deal" ... i've always dodged it buy paying cash for my cars(none of the MDX caliber ... just ranging from 1k to 3k) ... so hopefully i can proove to myself that i can handle that type of weight on me and also help boost my credit rating when it time to buy a house ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts