Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call today from a dealer in Southern California (Valenica Acura) saying they just got in the car I want (MBP w/ NAV & RES), and asked if I wanted it. I knew before that Valencia has a forced option of wheel locks, cargo tray & cover for $500, which is basically double what you can get for these items. I told him another dealer estimates receipt of the same car in about a week for $500 less through the Costco Auto Program. Of course, he said there's no such discount. Sheesh, what is it with these guys questioning me!

Anyway, I told him I can wait a week to save $500 and not be overcharged for the forced options, although I told him I'd buy it at MSRP if he included the options. He checked with someone and he came back with MSRP plus $350 for the forced-option. He also said that the DMV (Dept. of Motor Vehicles in Calif.) WILL BE TRIPLING THEIR LICENSE FEE IN 2003! I told him that would be a big influence for me to buy now instead of later. I then told him that I wanted to speak with the wifey real quick, and that I would call him back. I actually called the DMV instead. The DMV said that the only 2003 increase that they are aware of is for an increase in the late payment fee! Can anyone confirm or deny this supposed increase that the dealer mentioned? Right now, I feel like I was just being played with....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I HATE DEALERS!!!:3:

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
Another dirtbag, waith the week if you can. In either case, I would contact your local Better Business Bureau and contact Acura's Customer Service too.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
While it's true that our illustrious gub'ner may re-instate the VLF rollback from years ago, in essence tripling DMV fees, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. It'll be part of the budget package. Months away if it does happen.

That dealer is more than ripping you for the inflated accessories.

Wait for your Costco deal.

But just to have fun, I'd call Valencia back (tomorrow) and tell them you'd love to help them make their December and year-end numbers if they BEAT your other deal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hey markable,
Don't be the screwy be the screwer, read on. When I was shopping for my X, a dealer in New Jersey tried the same crap on me. He told me the car came with three options I wasn't interested in. I said "Thanks but I'm not interested." He said "All MDX's leave the dealership that way." At first I thought "Wow, what a coincidence, everyone wants the same options." I said "Oh, hey, if you want to give them away then you know my motto, if it's free it's for me." He said "No, it will cost you x amount of dollars." I said "Okay, take them off, and sell me the car. At the price I want." I followed with "Who's policy is it to rip off customers. He said "The manager, er I mean we're not ripping anyone off. The Manager configures the cars this way and..." I cut him off and I told him to go fudge himself with the accessories I'll be calling Acura and purchasing my car elsewhere. I called back an and hour later and and asked him to hold the car for me I would be there in three days. I had him call me back a good two weeks all the while I told him I would be there in a day or two, then a week because I was going out of town on business. I screwed them a good three weeks in a row! You get the car you want with what you want on your terms. And don't forget to call Acura.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hmm interesting

MY salesman told me in Oct that there is a car blk/blk (what I want) with tour/nav coming but with XYZ accessories, if you take that, it will be yours in a couple weeks. But if not, you would have to wait till Jan. I told him politely to screw off and I just want the car MSRP no accessories at all (bought the chrome Acura steps from haworld.com already). Geez they were charging 959 for the regular acura steps alone! And to think, I got the CHROME ones for $440 inc. shipping. Give me a break.

Well, I don't want to suspect playing around here, they were probably right about the early car, and he showed me the list of orders and what not. No black cars at all. Mine would be the 1st in the list now for blk. So I guess I believed him, whatever, didn't car, no need for car in Nov/Dec.

Now I just have to be, try to be, smart and get a free accessory or two! Not wheel locks, that is stupid crap, and like I care, go ahead steal my wheels, I will replace them in under 12 hrs and insurance will pay. Or it would be good excuse to buy those 19 inch wheels with 255 rubber I always wanted!
:cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: LOL

ndahbar said:
wassup Ray. :p
I ordered my chrome steps with the weathertec mats... What's up with you? working tomorrow?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Markable,

I'm sorry to read that you had a problem w/ Valencia Acura, though I'm surprised about the forced options you mention. In my case, I told them I didn't want some of it, and they took it off and deleted it from the price. In addition, the options I added were at invoice. Our overall experience with Valencia Acura was outstanding.

Maybe you're working with a salesman who is playing you for the best deal? Why not call the sales manager direct and tell him what you're looking for? It couldn't hurt....

Best of luck to you - I hope things work out.

Ever the optimist,
Lib

·
Registered
840 Posts
Ray,

Yes I am! I have to work on the 31st (tomorrow) *AND* I don't have my 'X yet. What's this world coming to? :D

Cool about the steps. Mine are still in box.

Thread starter: Yo that dealer is just messing with you about the DMV fee.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried ....

Have you tried another dealership?
I've purchased mine at Thomas Acura in West Covina, Ca. Their prices are reasonable, also I received a refund from them for being over charged on the DMV licensing fee.:eek:
Today I received my DMV renewal for my MDX that is due on 03/10/03 for $267.00 in California!:2: :4:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rate The Dealer On This Forum

This would surely qualify for the dealer rating area. Be sure to rate this dealer.

It's only be being proactive that the dealers will stop this kind of behavior.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I hate dealers like that. Mine doesn't even have the coutesy to let me know whats going on with my X. Sometimes they won't even return my calls. :28:

And what do I think of them so far? :30: :moon: :14:

2003 SS MDX - still waiting :3:

·
Registered
293 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
I HATE DEALERS!!!:3:
my sentiment exactly ... although i'm happy with my acura dealership that everything went fairly smoothly. i wish there was a way to puchase directly from acura, especially in the case of purchasing a MDX ... most of us went and FOUND our dealership, most of us knew (and still know) MORE than our sales people, not really sure why the dealers deserve all that profit.

-henry

·
Registered
122 Posts
Valencia eh!

Run, don't walk, RUN from this dealer. I was dealing with them forever, literally 8 months. We agreed on a price, got the financing settled, done right? No. The car comes in and BAM! forced options. WTF?

I dealt with Tyler. Total snake, and not a nice guy, or a good liar, or very smart for that matter. He lost a sale.

If you want an MDX in So. Cal, call Eddie at Pasadena. He'll sell you an 03 naked for 500-700 under sticker right now, and they have tons on the lot.

6267927979. He's who I bought from. You can get the 3.49% right away too, pretty nice.:2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts