Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new MDX last Thurs, and just received a letter in the mail telling me I'll be receiving a "rate the dealer" survey from Acura. The letter's from the dealer and signed by the salesman who handled the purchase. He says that he would "...appreciate it very much..." if I would indicate the highest level of "Very Satisfactory" on all of the questions asked, because anything less would be viewed as negatively by Acura. (Well, duh!) They also had the audacity to include an example of what the survey would look like all filled out as they suggest. The letter goes on to ask that I address any complaints, umbrages or perceived slights directly with the dealership, and allow them to make it right. IOW, don't whine to Acura; whine to them.

This has me wondering:

Does Acura really want the unvarnished truth, and do they somehow "act" on less than Very Satisfactory ratings? Is this an opportunity to give the dealer a tune-up? (pun intended)

Or...

Is this a new opportunity to try to retroactively sweeten my purchase?

So, what did everybody else here do with their survey?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
OK (will full cynacism) - I think it the only piece of the MDX puzzle in which the consumer finally has the power (i.e. you already have your car - they cannot delay, misrepresent, make you fell insignificant, etc. anymore). It seems that through the buying process many posters feel that the dealer really didn't care and always had the leverage - finally when the tables are turned the dealer gets all concerned about a rating (it allegedly is a factor is allocation - how many MDXs that dealer gets). If it's really important to them I think it should have been reflected in service and info throughout the process, not just right at the end. I decided right away I was going to be honest with an average score for a category getting a 3 or 4, good service a 5 and anything below average getting a 2-3.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I basically told my sales guy and his manager that..."Hey if you are gonna be stingy on cutting the deal and selling me the MDX...Than expect me to be stingy with my evaluation of your dealership and staff...."

Am blunt to the point and am a "there's no such thing as a FREE lunch guy." My deal is...if you scratch my back I will scratch yours. If you help me I will NEVER forget your help.

Needless to say...the sales guy and dealership sold me my MDX $250 under MSRP. And in turn....my evaluation of him, the staff and the dealership got ALL high marks!

Leveraging the power of negotiations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's a good technique, Fireblade6 :D!

Luckily, I haven't experienced any bad service yet, but I would worry about marking down a poor rating if you intend on returning to the same dealership.

It's fine if they say if you have a beef take it up with them first--let them fix it. But if you give the dealership a poor rating to Acura without giving them a chance to rectify it, what if the dealer finds out what you submitted? How is it going to help relations? How willing will the dealer be to help you with your problems when they see you walk through their door?

If you can find a dealership that you can keep a good relationship with, it pays in the end.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stargazer said:
That's a good technique, Fireblade6 :D!

Luckily, I haven't experienced any bad service yet, but I would worry about marking down a poor rating if you intend on returning to the same dealership.

It's fine if they say if you have a beef take it up with them first--let them fix it. But if you give the dealership a poor rating to Acura without giving them a chance to rectify it, what if the dealer finds out what you submitted? How is it going to help relations? How willing will the dealer be to help you with your problems when they see you walk through their door?

If you can find a dealership that you can keep a good relationship with, it pays in the end.
Interestingly enough....the survey can be addressed as anonymous if you want...and trust me on this...chances are...the dealer will not know who sent the survey in. This survey is to help the dealer get better allocation of MDX, other cars and better discounts on accessories and such...so it behooves the dealer in listening to us when it comes to them getting good rating. As for them knowing who did it... I doubt it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
From a salespersons point of view:

Unfairly many of our pay programs are based on those surveys, I can't do anything about the MDX price, accessories, financing, interests rates, negotiating, trade-in value, the questions that have nothing to do with me are used to figure my total score. And it's me not my dealer that gets the brunt of bad surveys, by being removed from selling new cars, MDX's etc.

It's not your job to give me something I don't deserve, but I do let my customers know how important that survey is and if I have done my job I can only hope my customers give me a perfect survey. Fortunately my surveys are very good, but when I get a bad one it sure bothers me.

I do not like the way the system is set up, but it is what we have to work with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe Roger W. , as an Acura salesman, can clear up a possible sore point with me. I bought an MDX almost 6 months ago in the Orange County(CA) area. I have yet to get a survey from Acura. I called the dealer to tell him I had not received my survey and wanted one. He said they are sent out randomly and he guessed I won't get one. I would like one since I have "things" to say - some negative(management sales practices on prices that fluctuate wildly over MSRP-$600 to $2000) and some positive(friendly lower level sales people, great SUV). Any idea how to get this survey??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Fortunately my delivering dealership didn't "advise" me on how to complete the survey. My salesman said I would be receiving a survey in the mail and asked if I could complete it & return it at my earliest convenience. Nothing else was said.

I agree with Roger that it is unfair to penalize the salesperson for items beyond his/her control. If you didn't like the deal, but bought the car anyway because you wanted it, or for whatever reason, and the salesperson was polite & honest with you, then don't take your frustration out on the sales person for accepting a "bad deal" - simply because you took it.

I do disagree with "coaching" and showing a customer the survey & telling them how to answer it. If that was done to me - I would refuse to complete it - and tell them so.

·
Registered
426 Posts
sideburns,
I could get in trouble over this one but what the heck.
If that was a sorepoint, this is really gonna p*** you off. First of all, everyone is suppose to get a survey.

One of four things happened:

1. Your car was RDR'd in someone elses name, family/friend of the dealer. The dealer wanted it to show it as sold to Acura to show numbers. Usually this done to get more allocation or to meet certain goals for Acura. I've seen many dealers do this at the end of the month or end of the year. I've have seen as many as 50 cars in inventory that are reported sold (not my dealer). The problem with this practice is when the car is RDR'd, that is when the warranty starts on your car. This is not a big problem with the MDX because of the short turn over. And even if it is another vehicle you can get it straightened out but that should not be something you have to deal with. This also probably means you didn't get the little credit card looking things with your vin number on them for identification.

2. They knew you were going to give them a bad survey, so it was RDR'd to someone else, family/friend of the dealer, they get a perfect survey.

3. Your car may have been a cancellation that was already RDR'd to the original person who ordered it and the dealer jumped the gun a little when the vin came in.

4. The dog ate it.

Having said all that it is my understanding Acura has made some changes in the past couple of months to assure that practice is over with. I hope so. This has been going on for years at many dealerships.

·
Registered
47 Posts
dealer survey

My dealer offered to waive the excess milage charge on my previous lease if I would give him a good rating after some pretty unpleasant experiences with him. I turned him down and coincidently I never received any survey- JD Powers or Acura. This is the first time I bought a new car and didn't get overwhelmed with surveys. Just coincidence???????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roger: I don't have Auto sales "lingo" down pat yet. Can you explain RDR. Can I demand a survey if dealer already "RDR" it to someone else? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sideburns,
RDR just means we registered the vehicle as sold to Acura. The problem with the system in the past has been, your contract goes to the lender not Acura, Whoever does the RDR's at your dealership can put anyones name and address when registering to Acura, they get the surveys the little identification cards with your vin # on it, and mailings sent out by Acura. Because the warranty with Acura goes with the vehicle this is never caught.
Where the problem arises, lets say some ugly colored RL was sitting on the lot that had been RDR'd 6 months ago. You won't find out until you go in for warranty work your last six months of warranty and you find out the warranty has expired 6 months earlier than you thought. The problem can be corrected and probably without you knowing the difference.
As far as getting a survey, they don't come from the dealer so you will never get one. The survey comes from Acura itself. Every vehicle gets RDR'd, so someone has filled out a glowing survey on your MDX. If you plan on persuing this you need to contact Acura Coorporate. And PLEASE don't use me as your reference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roger: I'll give Acura Corp. a call. Don't worry, your name will never be mentioned by me. Hopefully no corporate "hack" is reading this web site. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RGWomack said:
From a salespersons point of view:

Unfairly many of our pay programs are based on those surveys, I can't do anything about the MDX price, accessories, financing, interests rates, negotiating, trade-in value, the questions that have nothing to do with me are used to figure my total score. And it's me not my dealer that gets the brunt of bad surveys, by being removed from selling new cars, MDX's etc.
Roger,

That seems to be the case here. My pre-survey letter said in part:

"...The purpose of this form is to give Acura an accurate individual report of my performance, as well as pinpoint areas in the sales and service process that may need improvement. I would appreciate it if you would kindly check VERY SATISFIED on all of the questions asked. Anything less that very satisfied will greatly affect my grading. If for any reason you feel that my performance was less than very satisfied please contact my manager, or myself and together we will do our best to ammend any dissatisfactions.... Thank you for your business. I hope to see your survey soon."

This is nothing short of blackmail! The dealer has a gun to the salesman's head, and is saying to us, "score less than very satisfied on that survey, and the salesman gets it."

Frankly, I'd be willing to come across with the scores they want, if they'd be willing to sweeten the deal with something after-the-fact. But the salesman hasn't got the power to make this happen -- he's got to [allegedly] get everything okay'd by his boss. And this puts me right back into the haggling game.

So, how do we give Acura feedback on the dealer without trampling the salesman in the process? I mean, the problem's with the dealer and his business model. Surely Acura can't expect us to be able to register complaints with a process like this?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
dealer survey's-----BRIBED

i was actually bribed by my dealer to fill out everything on the highest levels and i would get my 7500 miles check up for free. if they want you to fill it out fraugently you should at least get something for free!! just joking i think they should be filled out correctly so acura will get an idea what customers have to go through to get this vehicles. but the dealer's make it hard to do when they offer a free $150 maintenance check. i'm on my second survey which by the way have not been bribed on, watch out acura here comes the truth hope your listening!!!!!:D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Grape-Nutz,
Acura corporate does want honest feedback on those surveys, the problem is they score everthing and each item has a certain percentage affixed to it, some questions weigh more heavily than others but the total score becomes my average. I don't like it or feel it is right when it is something out of my control, but there is no way to completely separate me from what my dealer does when it comes to that survey. I wish they were separate then they would get a true survey of my performance verses what the customer thinks about the dealership. Because this is the norm for the automobile industry Acura is not going to change it if all the other manufacturers don't, that would put them on a different grading system than other manufacturers These surveys are used by JD Powers and other collaters and collectors of information to rate the overall dealer experience, problems etc., which has a direct effect on auto ratings, re-sale and many other things. As far as filling out the survey, you have to do what you think is right. I just hope this gives a little insight as to what we have to deal with. If your salesperson did a good job and you don't want your feelings to reflect on him/her, send an attached letter stapled to your survey, it will come back to the dealer with the survey.

·
Registered
26 Posts
SURVEY

I am also a Sales rep for Acura for the past 11 years. If you have a problem call customer relations and let them know. Also write a letter to owner or G.M. They need to know how to make things better. We are not perfect and not going to make everyone happy. Acura just went to a phone survey only!! So you can still rate the salesperson very satisfied and make comments on what could have been done to make things better.

Tony Bellomio
Proctor Acura
Tallahassee,FL

·
Registered
26 Posts
SURVEY

I am also a Sales rep for Acura for the past 11 years. If you have a problem call customer relations and let them know. Also write a letter to owner or G.M. They need to know how to make things better. We are not perfect and not going to make everyone happy. Acura just went to a phone survey only!! So you can still rate the salesperson very satisfied and make comments on what could have been done to make things better.

Tony Bellomio
Proctor Acura
Tallahassee,FL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts