Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had to get the third row seat handles replaced on my 17 mdx. The dealer seems to have scratched the bumper during repair. The dealer is refusing to accept responsibility for the damage. Does the damage seem to be from backing into something or dropping something heavy on the bumper during repair. Inputs appreciated. picture attached. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
There is no way to know that. It doesn’t look like something was backed into. The bumper would be out of alignment. When you bring a car in for service. You and the SA should have done a walk around the car to check for damage. If you didn’t do that,it’s hard to prove.

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's plausible that it happened recently and you just noticed. There is a hyper awareness after you get your car back from being worked on, so techs and service writers are used to being blamed for all sorts of issues that existed when you brought the car in. It's also possible that the tech/dealer did cause the damage (or a customer backed into it), but unless you did a walk around at the time of drop off or have some other form of proof it will be a tough go to assign blame.

In light of that your best course could be to see if you can work with the dealer on some kind of shared cost on the repair?

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I always make it a thing since a dealers car wash scratched my car. Do a walk around with the service adviser. For both in and out. Also if you get a loaner from them do the same. Honestly it looks like a upward motion. But how it was done impossible.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
It kind of looks like it might be something other than backing into something the way there's a tear there but it's hard to determine.

How certain are you that this was caused by the dealership and not, for example a day or two prior or afterwards? If you're certain it was done at the dealership then keep pursuing it with them. Leave yourself out of the argument and ask them if their vehicle check-in process includes a walk-around inspection by the service advisor and if it does, ask to see the report where they wrote the condition on the work order. If the walk-around is part of their normal procedure and they either skipped it on yours or didn't note any damage then I think you have a strong case for this being the responsibility of the dealership and you should fight it with them. Be sure to escalate up their chain if they refuse it - it might be that the SA skipped the walk-around he/she was supposed to do and doesn't want to get nailed for it, which might be why they're refusing it. Go to the SA's manager and then on up from there including the dealership manager and then Acura. It all depends on how certain you are that it was done while at the dealership.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you look at the photo closely, it's definitely backed into. Look at the scratches on the lower parts of the bumper - straight line down from the top one. Even appears like a little scuff below the chrome exhaust finisher. Looks almost like it was backed into the edge of a lift or something that's a square angle all the way down. Too specific of a line to be a car or even something dropped.....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
If you have no pictures from before you submit your car to the dealer and immediately after, you're SOL unless your dealer does it on good will. This is especially true if you've already driven away.

I never let them have my car without taking pictures first inside and out each appointment and i never leave without first inspecting every inch. The process has gotten door dings repaired, wheels and tires replaced, and even the entire lining of a trunk replaced. None of these things should have ever happened, but they do. Humans are careless.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does the shop have cameras that can be reviewed? My wife’s MDX was backed up into while parked iand luckily they had video we could easily see whodunnit. It was a slam dunk - I found out the insurance co and submitted the claim to their insurance covered 100%

This looks like it was being backed up and it hit something like a dumpster or a lift. The stuff on the side of the shiny exhaust is throwing me off. It’s certainly looks fresh, the paint is still peeled and bunched up.

It’s not impossible that they did it and it’s not impossiablr that you didn’t notice it before you dropped it off (unless you know for sure you did a walk around which would be impossiable to miss)

It seems lame and time consuming but we all have video cameras on our phones so this is a good lesson for all of use to slow down and take the precautions before we give our car to someone. But man imagine videoing your car when you drop it off the valet at a wedding. You’ll be the talk of the wedding. And there’s no way any valet will admit to damaging a car unless it’s bad!

Sorry to see you going through this.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi, I had to get the third row seat handles replaced on my 17 mdx. The dealer seems to have scratched the bumper during repair. The dealer is refusing to accept responsibility for the damage. Does the damage seem to be from backing into something or dropping something heavy on the bumper during repair. Inputs appreciated. picture attached. Thanks!
Did you do a walk around with the dealer when you checked the car in? This is standard practice with my dealer. Your car could have been hit by a lot boy or another anyone else for that matter. Claim it as a hit and run and have your dealer pay your deductible.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That looks like impact damage, I don't think that could happen while repairing the back seat.

As others stated, so long as you inquired about the damage when picking up the car, there shouldn't be any question about assigning the dealer blame. However, once you take possessison of the car it's your word against theirs (unless you have access to their camera footage).

That could've happened to the car while parked, someone else could've bumped into it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
you need to be able to prove where it happened and how. Is there a photo of your car being pulled into the shop? Would they let you look at it? Worst case call your insurance company, tell them what you THINK happened,and see what they want to do about it. Sorry about your loss. Stay cool - maybe talk with the service manager or GM. Remember - a satisfied customer is worth another sale to them but a dis-satisfied client is worth the loss of 10 customers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't take any pictures when I left the car with the dealer. I also failed to do a walk around when I took delivery. I noticed it as soon as I got back home. My insurance is fixing the damage, the bodyshop wants to replace the entire bumper and all the trim. Seems to be a $1500-1800 repair

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't take any pictures when I left the car with the dealer. I also failed to do a walk around when I took delivery. I noticed it as soon as I got back home. My insurance is fixing the damage, the bodyshop wants to replace the entire bumper and all the trim. Seems to be a $1500-1800 repair
we were rear ended in my 2014 right after buying it. Cost about $2200 by ins company. Caliber Collision locally was both Acura and USAA certified. Had to paint the new bumper twice because pearl is very hard to match - it might look light at one angle, then dark at another because of the angle of the pearl flakes. Make sure the color matches to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we were rear ended in my 2014 right after buying it. Cost about $2200 by ins company. Caliber Collision locally was both Acura and USAA certified. Had to paint the new bumper twice because pearl is very hard to match - it might look light at one angle, then dark at another because of the angle of the pearl flakes. Make sure the color matches to your satisfaction.
will do, thanks for the advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts