Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'm gonna share my experience at the dealer today. The dealer is David McDavid in Austin.

I went to change the oil so I thought I'll have them check the doubling MPG glitch and see what they can do.
Well after about an hour the guy called me and gave me a little teaching:

The the doubling MPG happens because supposedly I need to turn off the AUTO reset after EVERY gas fillup.

He said I put mine on AUTO all the time! I should press OFF as soon as I fill up. What a moron! I held my sanity and kept calm. So told him that the manual said choosing AUTO resets by itself after fill up. OFF is reset anytime I want. He didn't listen, even the supervisor joined in and that's when everything heated up. He thought the service person is right!

I pulled out my PDA, showed them the database # posted here and insist they check it and man, you should see how quite they are.

The supervisor came back and told me I can get software update if I want. I have version 2.04.

Do i need to upgrade? with 2.05 will it get worse? I don't have the "black screen" after I choosed to turn off breadcrumbs, restaurants and gas. Only the DMPG problem.

Anyway, I can't believe how ill-informed those guys are and they have the guts to tell you stories thinking customers coming in for service are ignorant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good heads up

Thanks for the post. I've only got about 900 miles on my "X" that I bought at DMC in Austin so first service is down the road.

But this is a great heads up for possible technician ignorance and arrogance. Regular readers and posters to this forum are far more informed than most people at the dealership.....especially DMD.

Do you remember the supervisor's name? I'll try to avoid him on my first service visit.

Regardless of the incompetence of the dealer, I LOVE this vehicle. It gets me around Austin very nicely and in style.

How do you like those 652's? I'm thinking of adding them as well. They've got to be an improvement to the Bose.

·
Registered
285 Posts
you can fight back...

i recently visited DMD in plano, texas (dallas area)... trying to tell them that the alignment of one side of the bsm wasn't right... and of course, i was told that it was supposed to be so according to 'their' molding template.... i was very much pissed....

then, a week later, i got a call from the service guy asking about my experience.... man, did he get an earfull..... i almost kind of yelled at him expressing my unsatisfactory.... he told me to bring in the vehicle again anytime i want and they would try to make it right or show me how they determined it was supposed to be aligned like that....

then the very next day i got a letter from the dealership thanking me for taking the MDX for service there and guess what, they ask me to give them top scores if i receive a survey form from acura..... in the letter they said acura would send out forms to a certain percentage of the customers for their experience at the service dept (in addition to the sales dept experience survey)....

if i ever get the survey form, i will post the phone number here so that you guys can just call up the acura survey dept and tell them straight how you feel about the service in DMD in austin... wouldn't that be great? :D :2:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Good heads up

fvince said:
Thanks for the post. I've only got about 900 miles on my "X" that I bought at DMC in Austin so first service is down the road.

But this is a great heads up for possible technician ignorance and arrogance. Regular readers and posters to this forum are far more informed than most people at the dealership.....especially DMD.

Do you remember the supervisor's name? I'll try to avoid him on my first service visit.

Regardless of the incompetence of the dealer, I LOVE this vehicle. It gets me around Austin very nicely and in style.

How do you like those 652's? I'm thinking of adding them as well. They've got to be an improvement to the Bose.
I can't remember his name but can still remember his facial expression when I gave him a good teaching. I'll be back at the dealer Monday. They want Thurs but we are out camping starting tomorrow (Inks Lake) :1:

I like the 652's a lot. Its a great improvement paired with a powered sub but after listening on it for a while I think I needed more power to drive the speakers.
And speaking about the speaker upgrade, the same dealer service personnel told me that the glove box misalignment is because I upgraded my sound system. :mad: Go figure!

So I sarcastically told him, "I didn't disassemble the dashboard to install a speaker on the door, do you?"

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I prefer to buy and service my vehicles at the same dealership. I maintain a professional relationship with the sales manager and I make sure he knows that I am in the service department whenever I go there - you see, I have purchased five Acuras from the same place in the last three years, and if I have any service issues I go directly to the sales manager, not to lodge a complaint, but to simply let him know that I have a service issue. That way, if and when I am treated improperly in the service department (and it has happened twice) I don't have to 'tattle' on him I just go to the sales manager and let him know I am not please - things really get done right after that! The two times I did this, the sales manager told me to never go directly to the service department, come to him first and he'll set things up for me. Boy do I get good service, and he gets a satisfied and return customer.

I know it's not always possible to follow this approach, but I do it whenever I can. If I need to go to a different dealership for service, I hold my breath and hope for the best - they have very little riding on poor service since you are not going to be a repeat customer.

Of course, if all else fails, there's always the general manager, or the owner. If the service department stinks, they want to know about it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? One Software upgrade CD for dealers??

I went to the dealer today to upgrade the Nav software from 2.04 to 2.05E and they gave me a loaner car because the car will stay for two days. The dealer said the truck should be physically at the dealer before they can call to order the upgrade CD because there's only one being passed around?! I've read this post before and thought its all "dealer stories" but here I am heared it myself.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Really? One Software upgrade CD for dealers??

cardingtr said:
I went to the dealer today to upgrade the Nav software from 2.04 to 2.05E and they gave me a loaner car because the car will stay for two days. The dealer said the truck should be physically at the dealer before they can call to order the upgrade CD because there's only one being passed around?! I've read this post before and thought its all "dealer stories" but here I am heared it myself.
About the only thing I'd believe from a dealer is if they said aliens spacecraft have landed and forced them to give all their vehicles away for free or face being sent to Andromeda... :16:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Really? One Software upgrade CD for dealers??

cardingtr said:
Are you refering to updating the DVD disk that runs in the player under the passenger seat? To update to a new release (currently 2.05, released 9/1/01) go to Acura.com, in the Engineering section, to order a new disk. No need to get service involved.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not updating the DVD disc as I mentioned. I am updating the Nav SOFTWARE.

And as an update, to update the software, you don't really need the disc. You only need another truck with updated software.

Software update is free. Nav is I think $200 from Tim. But not sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
DaleB said:
Pardon my ignorance, but does this mean every time a new year model of the MDX comes out you will need to hook up to one to get the latest software?

The fact that the dealer would do a download with a updated master disk is making more sense.

Again, speaking of internal software, not the disk.
But the fact remains, why in the heck would they only have one DVD for the NAV SW?!?! for the whole USA!! I said it once I'll say it again. Why can't Honda a multi-billion dollar company, make at least 10 Discs for each region for its freaking Luxo division. a burner is what 400 dollars, blank dvd disc what 15 bucks. Shhhheeeeshhh!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My understanding is that each new release of the DVD updates not only the roads and points-of-interest, but also has updated programs and logic for the operation of the system. Every time you start the car, the operating system (like Windows 95, 98, XP) is loaded from the DVD.

Dealers don't keep discs in stock for sale because the latest version is available direct from Acura's website; we never have obsolete inventory. Maybe they needed your car for two days in service so they could order a new disc, delivering your car with the 2.05 disc you could have bought yourself.

I could very well be wrong, but that's what customers of mine have told me Acura suggested when they complained of system or logic problems that our dealership couldn't debug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts