Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SS/Quartz 03 Touring arrived at the dealers today. We went to see it (sort of like having a baby) and really like the Quartz interior.

We also looked at some dealer options I would like to get some opinions on:

Side Mouldings at $350.

RoadBlock by Autobahnd at $595 - this is clear plastic like material put on the front and outside mirrors of the MDX to protect it from "road rash".

Simoniz system5 at $495 - this Simoniz product includes a Teflon Surface Protector to protect the paint from tree sap, bird waste, insects, UV rays fron the sun and acid rain. It is guaranteed for 5 years with an insurance from Travelers Ins. Co.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
JackL said:
My SS/Quartz 03 Touring arrived at the dealers today. We went to see it (sort of like having a baby) and really like the Quartz interior.

We also looked at some dealer options I would like to get some opinions on:

Side Mouldings at $350.

RoadBlock by Autobahnd at $595 - this is clear plastic like material put on the front and outside mirrors of the MDX to protect it from "road rash".

Simoniz system5 at $495 - this Simoniz product includes a Teflon Surface Protector to protect the paint from tree sap, bird waste, insects, UV rays fron the sun and acid rain. It is guaranteed for 5 years with an insurance from Travelers Ins. Co.

Thanks for your help.

Jack
Congratulations JackL,

Your in for a lot of fun with your X. Now down to business...

Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT pay anything near $350 for BSM's. I can't believe anyone quoted you that price with a straight face. Tim at www.hondacuraworld.com sell them for $98 shipped.

I can't speak for the Simoniz, or RoadBlock, but if the BSM quote is indicative of their pricing structure, than I strongly recommend purchasing accessories elsewhere.

Please research this forum by using the search function before you purchase anything for your X. Don't give your money away!:4:

·
Registered
40 Posts
There have been debates over the teflon issue, which you can find if you do a search under "teflon" on this site. Basically, DuPont has said that the only way to bond teflon onto a surface is at extremely high temperatures, and thus applied "coats" of teflon are a gimmick. I would be very careful about exactly what is guaranteed and how such things are quantified.

Side mouldings: Whoa, nellie!!! $ 350, wow!
At www.acura.com, they are listed at $160, INCLUDING install time at $77/hour

You can buy them at www.hondacuraworld.com for $110!

Roadblock: Can't comment, not sure if this is a useful product.

·
Registered
391 Posts
$350 for side moldings - no way! My dealer wants $187.00, the suggest price on the Acura web is $160.80. But there is a disclaimer that the dealers labor rate for installation may be higher than they used for their calculation.

That said, you might try getting them from hondaacuraworld.com. Several people have said they are very easy to put on, I just didn't want to try it myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops -

Maybe I'm wrong about the price of $110 - but that is the price the site currently lists. Is $89 the group purchase price?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Your dealer is taking you for a long ride. My dealer is selling and installing my BSM for a combined total of $120!

As for the mirror protector film, a complete kit by 3M, covering most of the front areas of the hood, bumper and mirrors sells for about $450 pluss installation. Installation cost anywhere from 75 to $100.

Your dealer is a crook!:3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
MDX-Ray said:
Oops -

Maybe I'm wrong about the price of $110 - but that is the price the site currently lists. Is $89 the group purchase price?
I believe I paid $98 (my memory may be failing me). Initially I transposed the numbers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
After my experience with the dealer on options, I'd never buy any options from a dealer, unless I just couldn't install it myself - and probably not even then!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BSM Questions

Thanks for the info.

If I buy the BSM from Tim are they painted SS or are they that gray color? The dealer provides color coordinated BSM. Also, I am not sure I could install them correctly.

Jack

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: BSM Questions

JackL said:
Thanks for the info.

If I buy the BSM from Tim are they painted SS or are they that gray color? The dealer provides color coordinated BSM. Also, I am not sure I could install them correctly.

Jack
The BSM's are already painted/color coordinated. If you don't feel comfortable installing them, any bodyshop can install them in minutes for next to nothing..

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
JackL,

Congrats.

BSM comes in body color (you do need to specifiy when you order). Install is a snap ... Acura provides a "mounting template" ... Clean the car of wax (alcohol), stick the template to the car (e.g. masking tape), apply BSM (self stick tape) ... DONE. If you still don't want to do it yourself, buy from Hondacuraworld.com (approx. $100) and have your dealer install it (anything more than $50-60 is a major rip off). Got the picture, dealer was gonna make $250+ just on the BSM. Beware of this dealer.

Teflon Wax ... From what I understand, it's all hype. Read up on Zaino on this board ... either the users are totally nuts or it is one of the best waxes in the world (probably latter, not former!!). Additionally, I have NEVER read any credible report about any auto wax, poymer, etc that lasted 1 year, let alone 5 years.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
srpbep said:

Teflon Wax ... From what I understand, it's all hype. Read up on Zaino on this board ... either the users are totally nuts or it is one of the best waxes in the world (probably latter, not former!!). Additionally, I have NEVER read any credible report about any auto wax, poymer, etc that lasted 1 year, let alone 5 years.
Good points, the only honest ad I saw about a poly coat was one car wash/dealer around here (Tan's we discussed before under touchless washes) who does offer such a service.
Here's what he says:

Polymer II/Polymer Shine can be applied in the place of Hand Wax. Polymer II/Polymer Shine last and is guaranteed for up to a full five years (wax must be reactivated every 6 months).

There you go! I am sure his price is much less than a dealer, but I think you get the idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts