Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Dealer Nightmare

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Kanuck 
#1 ·
This is my nightmare. Back in Feb 2001, I ordered a Granite Green MDX with Side steps.I knew the wait would be about six months and I had no problem with it. I was not in a big rush.
Well in September I get a call that my car was finally in. I call my dealer to finalize the lease numbers and he gives me a quote that is about $70.00 a month more then he originally quoted me. He tells me that he used the wrong sales tax figures in the original deal. He was giving me the business.
I then decided to purchase the car and we came up with a figure.
The day before I was going to pick up the car the dealer calls me up to tell me that they put running boards instead of side steps on my Car. I said fine I could live with that.
The next day I go in to pick up my car, I pass a Burgandy Mdx with running boards that is parked in front of the dealership. I see my salesmen and ask him where my car is. He tells me, "I just walked by it". I could feel the veins in my neck pulsating. He had ordered the wrong color.
He tells me to take it or leave it. That is when I lost it....
I have to go now. To be continued tomorrow. (All My MDX'S)Haha

#2 ·
WarpSpeed said:
This is my nightmare. Back in Feb 2001, I ordered a Granite Green MDX with Side steps.I knew the wait would be about six months and I had no problem with it. I was not in a big rush.
Well in September I get a call that my car was finally in. I call my dealer to finalize the lease numbers and he gives me a quote that is about $70.00 a month more then he originally quoted me. He tells me that he used the wrong sales tax figures in the original deal. He was giving me the business.
I then decided to purchase the car and we came up with a figure.
The day before I was going to pick up the car the dealer calls me up to tell me that they put running boards instead of side steps on my Car. I said fine I could live with that.
The next day I go in to pick up my car, I pass a Burgandy Mdx with running boards that is parked in front of the dealership. I see my salesmen and ask him where my car is. He tells me, "I just walked by it". I could feel the veins in my neck pulsating. He had ordered the wrong color.
He tells me to take it or leave it. That is when I lost it....
I have to go now. To be continued tomorrow. (All My MDX'S)Haha
Dude-

If that happens to me...I take that sales punk to the back of the alley and beat his ass in....There is NO ROOM for MISTAKES when it comes to ordering an Acura MDX knowing the waiting time.

#3 ·
Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. I'd be madder 'n hell too!

Can you tell us the dealer's name? Perhaps it will spare some other members going thru the same.

#4 ·
Warpspeed:

It really doesn't matter who screwd up, but you do realize that you loose. GG is at the end of it's life, go get the one you need as soon as possible. Bring it up to the Sales and then the General Manager to see if they could get you one soon. Else, there was a member who posted that he had a GG coming in soon in Florida.

Do post your experiences on the dealer ratings, and never deal with the deaership again. I used the ratings to decide on which dealers to deal with.

#5 ·
I got back early, so I can finish my story.

When he told me to take it or leave it, I went off on him and the other salesmen had to seperate us. It was ugly. They threatened to call the cops on me.
As you probably guessed, I left with no car and a check for $38,000 in my pocket..I was really bummed. This was a saturday and there were no managers around. That monday I called the dealership and spoke to the General Manager. All he said was that he would look into it. There was no apology even after I apoligized for losing my cool and explaining all the mistakes the salesman made.
The salesman calls me a few days later and again doesn't apologize for his mistakes. He tells me that he was not the one who ordered the wrong color, it was one of the girls who does the paperwork.
He offers to get me a 2002, for the same price as 2001 and add some accessories at cost. "I should get it in late Nov early Dec". I agreed, and of course the car doesn't arrive until Jan 25. I am picking it up Jan 31.God willing. I will give you guys the dealerships name after I pick it up. You never know...

#6 ·
WarpSpeed said:
I got back early, so I can finish my story.

When he told me to take it or leave it, I went off on him and the other salesmen had to seperate us. It was ugly. They threatened to call the cops on me.
As you probably guessed, I left with no car and a check for $38,000 in my pocket..I was really bummed. This was a saturday and there were no managers around. That monday I called the dealership and spoke to the General Manager. All he said was that he would look into it. There was no apology even after I apoligized for losing my cool and explaining all the mistakes the salesman made.
The salesman calls me a few days later and again doesn't apologize for his mistakes. He tells me that he was not the one who ordered the wrong color, it was one of the girls who does the paperwork.
He offers to get me a 2002, for the same price as 2001 and add some accessories at cost. "I should get it in late Nov early Dec". I agreed, and of course the car doesn't arrive until Jan 25. I am picking it up Jan 31.God willing. I will give you guys the dealerships name after I pick it up. You never know...
Warp-

"Once bitten...I NEVER forget.." What I recommend is to do the following. Have them type up a letter in THEIR dealership letter head promising you a 2002 for the SAME price with accessories per your negotations. Within that letter have them also put in the EXPECTED date in which your vehicle arrives on THEIR parking lot..NOT when the expected build date is. Once that is done have them put in writing that they will GIVE you the VIN(Vehicle Identification Number) once the vehicle is set to be on its way from Canada. Remember...CYA(COVER YOUR ASS) if the dealer can make that mistake...they will make it again.

What troubles me is this...Car sales men are compensated base on closing a deal. If I was that car salesman...I would make sure that I over see the paperwork to make sure that my clients get what he paid for. Afterall...sales are base on walk ins, call outs and such...AND MOST importantly...more sales are base on your service to your first client and referrals from the happy clients that get excellent service from you...So the notion of this guy not apologizing and not getting it right the first time tells me that he is a novice!!! What a joke! No wonder he is selling cars and not other ticket items that are MUCH more important to the world...Am not saying that cars are not important..Hell what will I do if I dont have a nice car to drive in...But...man...this is one sales guy that possess no managerial or sales management skills. He needs to go back to salesmanship school.

Good Luck..Warp take my advice seriousl if you are planning to take delivery of that vehicle. I dont wann see you let down again.

#8 ·
WarpSpeed said:
... He tells me that he was not the one who ordered the wrong color, it was one of the girls who does the paperwork.
Based on my buying experience (a fairly good one by the way) at the dealership, I came to learn that certain colors are not as "preferred" as others. From what I heard, the GG is one of those colors that would go in and out of style quickly. My good fellow salesman even advised that they (the dealership) would make VERY sure that you really mean to order that color. What I am hearing is that, say, if you walk away from your order, they are stuck with a odd-color MDX that is harder to sell.

Color is a matter of preference.. in my case the gorgeous and beautiful mystique red rock :p but keep in mind dealers know what is best for them to sell. You can take it from here.. since I am just guessing. Sorry for you about your experience.

#9 ·
More than likely, someone cancelled on that MA/SL and your salesperson or his manager figured if they got you to come in you might get excited about anything. I can't figure out how anyone could make that mistake. Then put running boards on it?? Something is fishy there.

#10 ·
It sounds similar to the story on another post that a dealer would say they have the VIN number but Honda must have deliver the car to another dealer... Yeah.. right. :mad:

#11 ·
At two large Acura stores here in NJ, Granite Green has been they're most popular color. The waiting time for Red Rock is currently about a month and a half, while Granite Green is running over ninety days. The dealers here get about 20% of their MDX’s in GG and about 8% in Red Rock. So I wouldn't classify GG as an "odd color" or one that would be "difficult to sell".

#12 ·
I think alot of people are getting GG and EG(emerald Green) confused. EG MDX's were slow to sell, and therefore Acura decided to not offer EG from 2002 on.... GG is very popular, and selling well.

#14 ·
BarryH said:
.. The dealers here get about 20% of their MDX’s in GG and about 8% in Red Rock. ..
It's good.. The rare the red, the better for us the RR crowd. :)

Your point is well taken. I was using that scenario as a possibility... I can't say what color would be popular in your area. However, you get the idea.. That was exactly what my dealer told me. As I recall, another odd color they mentioned was the upcoming VBlue. The idea here is that some color go "trendy" very quickly and two years later.. the color goes out of people's favor.
;)

#16 ·
I finally got my MDX

I picked up my MDX on Friday and I love It . It only took one year from the date I ordered it. Can you believe that. Don't ever order fom Denville Acura in New Jersey. They are the worst.

#17 ·
Somebody needs to give warpspeed a medal or something. It must feel great, especially after waiting one year......I can't recall waiting a year on anything (tangible). SALUTE!:D

#18 ·
WarpSpeed,
Other than the time you had to wait, what was the problem with Denville Acura? I actually found them more trustworthy than other dealers in the area because they wouldn't take the 2-4K over MSRP "bribe" as most dealers around here do. They also quoted me reasonable prices for accessories and for my trade-in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.