Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I question the business ethics of the dealer that installed my tow package. When I purchased my MDX last month, it was stated that there would be no markup on dealer installed options, whatever that means. Although I desired a tow package, the quoted price of $975 was way too high. After coercing, the dealer agreed to honor the estimated retail price published by Acura, $780.

The installation was performed yesterday. Could you believe that the bill totaled $975 plus tax? Needless to say, they were reminded of our deal and I won the argument. Expecting a conflict, was was sure to bring a price printout from the Acura website. It's too bad that we must go on the defense just to keep from getting ripped-off. I'm looking forward to having my Acura serviced by a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is one expensive tow package.
And to think you could of bought a Hidden Hitch for ~$120 and an Acura tranny cooler for ~$80.
Definately the route I will be taking.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandman1, The hitch package from Tim runs $503. Labor, $260, seems like a bargain and is not something that most of us want to take on. Peeking into the maze just to get a glimpse of the coolers is enough for me.

Regarding non-OEM hitches, you may save a few bucks. From my readings on other threads, they don't quite approach the quality of the OEM, but they are good enough. As far as coolers go, saving a few bucks is not worth it. Why take a chance by going against Honda's mandate of requiring both PS and transmission coolers? Of course, if you can buy a transmission cooler from Acura for $80, you don't need my advice. They wanted to charge me $80 just for the box.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
DaleB said:
Your experience is not that unique. Acura dealerships (a few exceptions) have not risen to the standard most would expect for this vehicle as well as the Acura line in general.
Hey, where's hockeyplayer!?

I hate dealers
:19:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
LOL, mdxxxx. We need a new "smiley" code that acts like a macro...

:hockeyplayer:

It'll just insert "I hate dealers".

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
TheWorm said:
LOL, mdxxxx. We need a new "smiley" code that acts like a macro...

:hockeyplayer:

It'll just insert "I hate dealers".
Good idea. Maybe a smiley that borrows the Quantas Airline mascot/motto... "I hate Quantas" A Koala Bear hugging a tree!:D :D

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
;) Too funny!! Unfortunately my next vehicle is going to have to be a Saturn so dealer antics will not come into play:( :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your opinion please

Let me explain. I ordered my X last fall throughout a rental financing company that handle all of our vehicles at the office.

I only stated the color (the blue is so nice), the side steps, the remote starter and I also asked for a hitch. I'm not sure if the guy that I was dealing with ever asked me about the towing packing but if he did, I probably refused.

The fact is that I will only tow a light trailer tent (1,800 lbs) 2 weeks this summer. I also did so several years ago with a Plymouth Voyager without any coolers and everything went flawlessly. And the Voyager were not really famous for the durability of their transmission.

In other words, it never crossed my mind that a luxury SUV would require a tranny cooler for such a light duty. I only found out recently about it. :11:

During my (long) wait for the 03 model to come in, I had the chance to speak several time to the dealer where the car had been purchased. We went trough the list of options together and he never mentioned anything about the required coolers. Knowing it, I would have ordered the towing package for sure. I'm now stuck with a situation where I would need to pay the full amount (remember this vehicle is rented) for a device that will probably be needed only once.

I later complained to the dealer about it and it became obvious that he was not aware of the fact that the specs had changed on the 03 model. He checked with the service manager and called me back telling " there is no problem to tow a 2,000lbs trailer, Acura now require the towing package because they had warranty problems in the past with customers that were towing over 2,000lbs without having one installed". :mblah:

What do you think ?

What would you do if you were me ? :1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The MDX is rated at 2000 lbs without the tow package. That said I'd be very careful about towing the 1800 lb tent trailer. I towed a 3000 LB. boat and trailer with my pickup and it was not unusual to my surprise to have over 1000 lbs. of camping stuff in the boat on trips to the lake.

I have always believed in playing it safe and would go with the coolers if it was me. However, you will be leasing so that changes the whole picture. In that case I'd probably not get the tow package but would be real careful about the gear I packed on camping trips.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everywhere I look, the towing rating for a non tow package equipped MDX is zip, 0, nothing.

I just found in Handa accessories web site a RED note about the hitch installation:

Trailer Hitch
Includes harness
-Acura requires that both coolers be installed with all hitch installations

check by yourself http://handa-accessories.com/mdx.html

Any other information that contradict this ?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Mite66 said:
Everywhere I look, the towing rating for a non tow package equipped MDX is zip, 0, nothing.

Just looked in my manual and you are correct. No mention of any tow limit with out the tow package.

I thought the manual said 2000 lbs w/o tow pkg? Before buying my MDX I took a test drive in a 2001. That could be where I saw the 2000 lb limit? Or it could be another vehicle I looked at. Maybe someone with a 2001 can check on this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
;) Too funny!! Unfortunately my next vehicle is going to have to be a Saturn so dealer antics will not come into play:( :)
I know you're joking about the Saturn, but Saturn probably has the worst "dealer antics" in my opinion. Eveyone thinks they are getting the best deal possible on a Saturn because of the "no-haggle" pricing, but if you look at the profit for the dealer on each vehicle, it is one of the industry's highest.

But...I digress. This is an MDX site afterall...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are victims of sloppy journalism. I too recall reading mention of a 2,000 lb tow rating for the 03. Although I can not say where, it was on one of the many web based auto comparison sites. The rating did specify that it was for vehicles not equipped with a special tow package. The review also posted a 240 hp rating for the 03.

It is reasonable that the MDX could handle 2,000 lbs without coolers. However, Honda is not going to validate the claim publicly. Honda is just too conservative and their transmissions are just too fragile. If you're going to hook-up to anything larger than a bike rack, go with the OEM coolers. That said, power, traction and stability makes the MDX is very good tow vehicle. My only concern is busting that dang transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really considering to install the tranny cooler myself now

I'm confident that I can do it. I think I can live without the power steering cooler though.

It goes for $167 at handa accessories. BUT THEY DON'T SHIP TO CANADA. ARRGHH :8:

Does anybody know a source for a 2003 MDX transmission cooler in Canada or that can ship to Canada. Or do you think an Acura dealer would sell it to me at a reasonnable price ? :confused:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: I'm really considering to install the tranny cooler myself now

Mite66 said:
I think I can live without the power steering cooler though. . . .
Why do you think you can if Honda/Acura thinks you can't?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Just looked in my manual and you are correct. No mention of any tow limit with out the tow package.

I thought the manual said 2000 lbs w/o tow pkg? Before buying my MDX I took a test drive in a 2001. That could be where I saw the 2000 lb limit? Or it could be another vehicle I looked at. Maybe someone with a 2001 can check on this.
Ahh... for TWO WEEKS in October of 2000, the 2001 MDXs were shipped with a manual that stated 'no coolers required for less than 2000 lbs'.

I had one of those vehicles.

When I went to buy a hitch, they said I needed coolers. I said 'no I don't, read this'. "But, but, but...." Long story, Acura corp involvement, ....

They paid for the coolers. My total cost was $280 installed.

AFAIK, all MDXs 'require' coolers... just to cover Acura's butt.

(You see, if the trans comes in fried, with a hitch and no coolers, how do they know you DID'T haul 4500lbs to Alaska?)

In a panic, they over-labeled the owners manuals with the corrected language... I was told that dealers were supposed to do this on all their stock- mine 'slipped through' since I picked it up on day 1.

ON USING A NON-ACURA HITCH:

I personally believe the electrical interface to be worth the extra bucks- yes, even if it is $150... I just hate aftermarket splices.

Now if you're just going to put a bike rack on it, fine- the next owner can then screw up the electrical...

Ard

PS If I hadn't worked the deal with Acura, at $500 including the coolers, it is a no brainer- coolers are good to have regardless. (BTW, sandman- there are two coolers required, not just ATF.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
After turning the trailer package down, decided finally to have it done by the dealer:

Price in Canada is 1142 cdn or 742 us installed.

Job was well done!!

Price from hondacuraworld is 550 plus 55= 605 plus extra charges by ups. And I would have to install it.

Feel that the dealer price is competitive in this

case only.

The price rest of the Acura accessories is certainly too high!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
ardvarkus said:

Ahh... for TWO WEEKS in October of 2000, the 2001 MDXs were shipped with a manual that stated 'no coolers required for less than 2000 lbs'.

I had one of those vehicles.

Ard, thanks for clearing that up, I was beginning to think I was imagining things again. I was almost certain that I saw the 2000 lb limit in the owners manual of the 2001 MDX that we took for a test drive. It was a Canadian model being sold by Hertz, had 18000 miles and they wanted $36999US for it can you believe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts