Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went in for my 30k service a couple of weeks ago on my 2012 MDX and the dealer forgot to refill the rear differential fluid. As a result it broke down last week and messed up my vacation big time. Questions for you experts:

What all parts should the dealer replace?
Is the drivetrain affected or damaged?
The engine?
Transfer case?
The tires?
The operation of the AWD?

Should I ask for the warranty to be extended?
How dangerous was this? It could it have frozen up completely while I was driving? Thanks for your insights. I am a neophyte on the technical end and need to understand the implications of this deal mistake.
-nivenor1

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you plan on bringing any legal action, you might not want to discuss this on an open forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would say what's damaged depends on what "it broke down" means. We're missing a LOT of information here.

If your SH-AWD light came on after only driving 5 miles and that was it, you're probably OK.

If your rear diff froze up and something snapped...hard to say...depends on what snapped.

So, with the information given, I'd say let your dealer replace what they say needs to be replaced. Then get a buddy (and maybe a Bud) and find a very slick piece of land. Given it's summer here in the Northern Hemisphere, I'd say find some good muddy grass. A loose, gravel road would be fine. Snow would be ideal (but, again, it's summer).

Turn off VSC, then have your buddy watch (from a safe location, please) as you punch it. The idea here is to get power to all 4 wheels and have them slip. Your buddy is there to make sure your rear wheels are spinning right along with your front.

Another, harsher test would be to get your front 2 on a loose/slippery surface, with your rear two on solid pavement and repeat.... Making the front wheels slip with the rear doing most of the work would give more stress across the system. Just don't be doing this all day - you'd have the potential to burn up even a healthy car. But one good test should be handled OK. Here, I would expect your front to slip just a little until power gets transferred to the rear, at which point you'll take off.

Again, be safe. Make sure you're not going to hit anything or anyone, or fall of a cliff/into a ditch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think the least they owe you is a new differential assembly. I think the most they owe you is a new differential assembly.

Since it doesn't sound like it "locked up" and sent you skidding across the road, and like most all here, you were probably driving on dry pavement vs. the muddy jungle, there really was no stress on any parts outside the differential case.

Since opening up the differential is considered component repair, which most if not all Acura shops won't do, I would think this is exactly what you will get, a new differential.

I realize it may have screwed up the vacation plans, but let's be real, you didn't die, or suffer injury, they made a mistake, and they should pay for it, but they really shouldn't be liable for your lost vacation if that's what you are implying.

I do think that it would be entirely reasonable to ask for the warranty extension, just as a good faith for the inconvenience of the whole situation. Any truely reputable dealer will offer you something beyond the no cost repair, but how much and what is a wide road.

Please understand my universal written language to emotional intent decoder is broken right now, so I don't know what you think you should get from them.

ON EDIT: I do think they should cover any and all towing fees or similar expenses you incurred to get the vehicle back to them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts