Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

05 MDX.

I had my alternator die on me while at work so just decided to drop it off at the dealer which is walking distance. While getting that done they claim my oil pump gasket is leaking and if not taken care of can leak on the timing belt and cause it to slip or fail. I had a look around and do not see where it could possibly be contacting the timing belt, am I missing something? Can this type of leak really get on the timing belt some how?

PS, the leak is very very small basically have not had any noticable oil loss since last oil change 6k miles ago.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yes it can, Timing belt cog literally sits in front of the Front main seal..
The timing belt cover is perfectly shaped to become an oil pool for the Timing belt itself.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I agree with skirmich (as usual). A main seal CAN oil up your timing belt. Of course, there is a slinger on there that should keep trivial leaks from being a real problem, and dealers are infamous for helpfully offering to fix trivial problems for big bucks. I guess I'd suggest not getting your knickers in too tight a twist unless your car is leaving a puddle of oil on the floor when parked. With an '05, you're possibly due for a timing belt change anyway, and replacing the front main seal is cheap and easy to add to that task (since you've stripped away almost everything in front of the FMS anyway by the time you get the old belt off).

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is no actual gasket for the oil pump, its sealant. Just get it resealed the next time you change timing belt unless they meant only the crank seal is leaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
on the 3.5, is the front crank seal a 2 piece or 1? and from my experience, once the fibers (cords) in the S-belt become oil soaked, it wont be long until the rubber separates from them. But that usually only happens with older belts that have begun to show cracks... yeah... in which case, past time to replace them. sorry for interrupting. going back to my corner now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Here's a link to the ehonda store for a 2005 MDX oil pump. The seal is #22.

http://estore.honda.com/acura/parts/view-acura-parts-catalog-detail.asp?m=2005-mdx-5-tourpkg-nav-5at&sn=&b=E++1301&dl=

Two more links that show the pump and a diagram of a Honda V6 - might not be exactly your engine but the arrangement of the seal behind the crank timing cog will give you an idea that if it leaks, it has a good chance of getting on the timing belt.

https://www.google.com/search?q=acura+v6+engine+timing+belt+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsrNunnNDWAhXmiVQKHdhAAtYQ7AkIQA&biw=1280&bih=893#imgrc=DPojGXV2ayEwtM:

http://belt.bcome.us/2004-honda-accord-timing-belt-diagram/

You didn't mention how much the dealer wants but if you're shocked at the price, well first if the diagnosis is correct, it's a lot of work to get to and put back together and second, it's a dealer. Maybe get quotes from independent shops.

It's also not an easy thing to check for a leak in that location. The oil could be staying in that region or on the belt because it could be getting spun around as it leaks from the crank. There might be a notch (no promises) at the interface of the engine and very bottom of the lower timing belt cover that would allow pooled leaking oil or coolant to get by. An easier inspection (again no promises) might be to look in the peep hole of the cam sprockets with a flashlight and see if the belt is shiny, wet, maybe run a rag past it. The peep holes are tear drop shaped rubber grommets you can pull and spin out of the way.

This is one of those situations if your wrong and ignore it, will result in major engine damage if that belt breaks. You'll also have the trouble and hassle of an unexpected breakdown. It's probably worth $75-$150 to have a mechanic at least inspect it and show it to you to be leaking or good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Front Main Seal in All J-Series is a 1 piece, RMS as well.
IIRC I haven't seen a 2 piece Main Seals on a Honda Engine, Perhaps the C-Series had it? I dunno.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Couple things: a closer look at the ehonda diagram and a picture of the oil pump does show a weep hole notch where oil could seep out. However, there's a boss that could block the oil somewhat. Picture attached.

Also just looked under the hood of my 06 X and you might be able to see the notch area if you removed or bent the plastic shroud out of the way. If the peep hole in the cam gear cover is too hard to view, taking it off or at least removing the 3 upper bolts and bending it out might work. Then again, a pro might have a better, faster, easier way to check.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts