Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While buying my X the dealer informed me of a program that they had where they would fill out a practice survey with all "5" and "yes" and if the Acura survey matched they would then pay for my first oil change. The idea being that anything that wasn't a "5" would be addressed on the spot until you felt that you could give them a "5". I had a good experience with them and intended to give them a positive survey but I was bothered by their tactics.

I'm wondering what a perfect survey is really worth to the dealer. Does the salesman get a monetary bonus?

Also, I'm wondering how many of you were offered, either directly or indirectly, something in exchange for a positive survey. I don't care if you took the deal but I am starting to question the validity of customer surveys.

Lastly, what would you charge for a perfect survey? Wheel locks? Side steps?

I look forward to your responses.

Bnuke

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to post a poll on this topic but I think that it might be interesting if someone did.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do a search on "dealer surverys" Many here have been bribed by the dealer with free cargo net, trays, etc... for all 5s on the survey. From my guess, the dealer's commissions from Acura coporate depends alot on the survey and also their allocation of cars/trucks.
IMO, I would contact Acura corporate directly and tell them of this type of bribery. But as you had a good experience perhas you can just let it go and get the free oil change.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have seen previous threads regarding "surveys" and it has been discussed. As for myself, I was not bribed in any way directly or indirectly. The dealership did however go over the rating system with me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
This survey is a 'double edge' sword.

A friend of mine have resigned from Honda (after 2 yrs. on the job) because he was being penalized (he has to pay $150 and not get his full commission) for not getting a perfect score on one or two of these survey. It's unfair, this guy has a family to feed. And the thing is there are people that you can not fully satisfy no matter what.

On the other hand, this is the only way the customers can protect themselves against abusive and incompetent salesmen.

I can't think of any other good alternative but maybe some of you guys have one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jonnygoodboy: Those threads made for some interesting reading. Thanks for the info.

I guess I need to find out how much the first oil change costs and see if I should continue negotiations. I find it kinda funny that they had me by the [email protected]$ when they made me pay MSRP and now I got them. I'm gonna have fun with this :)

BTW, I LOVE my new X! Tim, did you get my sidestep order processed yet?

Bnuke

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lots of other makers have essentially the same survey program (BMW is one), with the same 1-5 scale, and the same result if you give anything less than a 5. I wonder what marketing "genius" came up with this useless system? It's probably Honda's goal to get their true sales and service satisfaction to high levels. But how they cannot have a clue that this system is a joke and needs to be replaced is beyond me. If anyone uses it to compare dealers, all it shows is the dealers that are most effective at bribes or pleading for high scores. Any dealer that attempts to run the survey system honestly by not telling the customer what to do will come out with relatively poor scores. After all, I would be frequently inclined to give a dealer a 3 or a 4 on a survey, as a perfectly happy customer. Three is average. Four is better than average. Five should require truly going above and beyond the call of duty and should be a rare grade. Ones and twos are what the dealers should be punished for, not fours.

But I guess it's like grade inflation in schools these days, where the average is now A- in some schools. A B is actually a little below average. Straight A report cards are no longer a rarity, and many parents are deceived into thinking Junior is a genius when he can barely read and has trouble with math. It's also not fair to the kids who really deserve an A grade. Same with car dealers.

But it's a good feeling living in a country where 100% of car dealers are well above average.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Bnuke said:
I guess I need to find out how much the first oil change costs and see if I should continue negotiations. I find it kinda funny that they had me by the [email protected]$ when they made me pay MSRP and now I got them. I'm gonna have fun with this :)

Bnuke
That's what I thought but after 7 weeks I still haven't received the survey and the dealer never went over it with me. In fact, no mention of it at all. Do you think they would fill it out "as me" and never send it "to me"?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The dealer cannot fill out the survey for you. Some indpendent outside contractor will call your home and do the survey. Some here have also received a survey mailed to their home in addition to the phone survey. I got both. The phone and then the mail survey.

·
Registered
32 Posts
crmsnidol said:

That's what I thought but after 7 weeks I still haven't received the survey and the dealer never went over it with me. In fact, no mention of it at all. Do you think they would fill it out "as me" and never send it "to me"?
I purchased mine from the same dealer as crmsnidol. I haven't received the survey yet even after 5 weeks. My thinking is similar to crmsnidol's. I donot want them to rate themselves.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
mantrika said:
I purchased mine from the same dealer as crmsnidol. I haven't received the survey yet even after 5 weeks. My thinking is similar to crmsnidol's. I donot want them to rate themselves.
You bought from Precision? Who did you deal with? How was your dealings with the finance manager? He's the only negative in the whole process for me. Jeff Casole, the Sales Manager was fantastic and who I dealt with through 95% of the process. My salesman was Michael Thomas. Nice enough but provided incorrect information on two occasions only to have Jeff call me immediately after to clear things up.

I would give them all 5's with the exception of the finance mgr dealings.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
The only bribe should be doing what is expected in the first place, everything else is BS in my opinion.

·
Registered
476 Posts
When I took delivery of my MDX this week, the salesmanager cornered me beore I could get into thew car and said "how did we do". Yada yada, We need all fives, etc. But no promises were made to me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My salesman made sure that I understood how important it was that I rate the deal with all "5"'s. And it was a "5" - except for the finance manager when it came time to sign for the deal. I couldn't beleive that on a 80% cash deal, he would still try to screw me by trying to slipa 5 year extended warrenty, paint protection, and a much higher interest rate on the 20% balance I did finance. When I cconfronted the salesman with what the finance mnager tried to do, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "he's the Finance Manager - what can I do?". Even buying an "X" is so hard to do.

·
Registered
32 Posts
crmsnidol said:

You bought from Precision? Who did you deal with? How was your dealings with the finance manager? He's the only negative in the whole process for me. Jeff Casole, the Sales Manager was fantastic and who I dealt with through 95% of the process. My salesman was Michael Thomas. Nice enough but provided incorrect information on two occasions only to have Jeff call me immediately after to clear things up.

I would give them all 5's with the exception of the finance mgr dealings.
I did not have to deal with the finance manager as I did not finance it. My sales person was Pat Marotta who was good. I would not say he was fantastic. He provided me with whatever I needed. Even though they did not make me feel like a winner, they did excel in delivering what they promised.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I was not bribed, but service writer made a big point about wanting the dealership to be rated excellent on surveys. First time I used this dealerhsip, and while they were fine overall I thought they overcharged for an oil change when I brought my own oil and filter.
($25, previous dealer was $17).

While it was only a few bucks, ethical, legal, etc. why would I rate them excellent in a fair price category? I have no intention to do so should I get the survey.

This is the 3rd time I've brought the X in for routine service but 1st time I used this dealer. No other dealer mentioned the survey with regards to service. It was only mentioned once by the selling dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not rating this dealer 'low' by any means.
But afterall, this is an Acura, as in Accurate, or Accuracy..why would I be otherwise?

In the future I plan to do my own oil changes anyway, so this is not a big deal to me. But I fail to see how fudging on a survey does anybody any good in the long run. Least of all future customers.
Maybe I'm just a bit miffed because they didn't try to bribe me...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
HARDROCK said:
My salesman made sure that I understood how important it was that I rate the deal with all "5"'s. And it was a "5" - except for the finance manager when it came time to sign for the deal. I couldn't beleive that on a 80% cash deal, he would still try to screw me by trying to slipa 5 year extended warrenty, paint protection, and a much higher interest rate on the 20% balance I did finance. When I cconfronted the salesman with what the finance mnager tried to do, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "he's the Finance Manager - what can I do?". Even buying an "X" is so hard to do.
Take 5 minutes, write a letter to Acura Corporate in Torrance, Copy the General Manager at the local dealer-explain why they won't get a five... the salesguys shouldn't take it in the shorts for the sniveling finance manager....

(He who controls the gold is king, and the finance guys is the last hand to get into your wallet.)

Ard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts