Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why the dealer always used 5 quarts of engine oil to fill up for the oil change for EVERY acura models? Maybe they think it is OK? Maybe I would do the same just buy a 5-quart jug and fill the whole thing in and don’t have to worry about running low on oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Maybe they round up to charge more?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you sure they are using 5 full? Or does the invoice just say "5qt"

Most dealers don't use oil from jugs unless you ask for a specific oil. Dealers have 55 gallon drums of the common oil for the vehicles they typically service. These use an electric pump, hoses, and guns to dispense the oil. The gun has a counter so they can meter how much they're putting in. Most dealers offer a set price for oil change which includes "up to 5 qt" of oil. They typically charge extra for vehicles that require more than 5 qt, but don't give a credit for vehicles that require less.

If your dealer is actually using jugs/bottles (rare, unless you demand a specific brand/viscosity other than their shop supply) then they're going to charge you in full-bottle increments. If you only need 4.5 or 4.7 qt you're still getting charged for 5.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The invoice said “5”. The real question is: Is it OK to fill 5 quarts on the X engine?
A 2011 MDX should need about 4.5qt of oil to refill after draining the pan and replacing the filter.

I am an engineer, by trade, and believe in doing things with precision. Consequently, I would use 4.5 qt and check your dipstick.

However, if you did over-fill by 0.5qt I do not believe any damage would result. Given the propensity for the 2nd gen MDX to burn oil, some people may prefer to (slightly) over-fill to elongate the interval by which they must top-off the oil.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 2011 MDX should need about 4.5qt of oil to refill after draining the pan and replacing the filter.

I am an engineer, by trade, and believe in doing things with precision. Consequently, I would use 4.5 qt and check your dipstick.

However, if you did over-fill by 0.5qt I do not believe any damage would result. Given the propensity for the 2nd gen MDX to burn oil, some people may prefer to (slightly) over-fill to elongate the interval by which they must top-off the oil.

I am engineer as well ( EE), worked in the development and testing of computer hard drive and data storages and backup

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I am engineer as well ( EE), worked in the development and testing of computer hard drive and data storages and backup

Are you still currently working as an Electrical Engineer, and SILMUTANEOUSLY driving for UBER on the side??? you must be rolling the the $dough$?!!! :laugh:

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you still currently working as an Electrical Engineer, and SILMUTANEOUSLY driving for UBER on the side??? you must be rolling the the $dough$?!!!

Got lay off and doing Uber just to get by for now. I am doing some stock trading while driving Uber. You have any good stock picks? I made a pit stop to trade stocks if they are on the move and said the fuk with Uber!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Got lay off and doing Uber just to get by for now. I am doing some stock trading while driving Uber. You have any good stock picks? I made a pit stop to trade stocks if they are on the move and said the fuk with Uber!

sorry to hear about that, and I admire you for keeping afloat with UBER/stock trading :29: (be careful with the latter!!- we're all riding a tremendous wave right now that set's for a correction anytime now :(....with that being said, most of my $$ is in mutual funds with some individual stock owned in Proctor & Gamble....after missing out on the Bitcoin sweepstakes 10 years ago (wish I had invested $10K in that instead of JC Penny!!!! DOH!!!!) :surprise:
.....I am keeping my eyes on GNZUF (Guangzhou Automobile Group Co., Ltd.)- traded on the Hong Kong stock exchange- they're set to invade the USA sometime next year, offering affordable electric cars that will likely sell like hotcakes...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
To completely answer OP question.. Running 5qt of oil will not cause damage.
Dealerships though sells you quarts of oil not exactly 4.5q of oil so even if they used 4.5q they will charge you the full quart so its 5 in total in the receipt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.