Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the service done to a MDX, I saw that they used a BG product for a transmission fluid as part of the service.

Has anyone else used BG Additives? I know the BG 44k fuel additive is good but never heard of it for a transmission.

It seems a lot of honda/acura dealerships us BG products.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It seems strange to me for a dealer to use anything other than the manufacturer provided/recommended fluids or add any additives - which many manufacturers recommend against.

Did they charge you for this additive? I wonder if it's just a way to up-charge you or if for some reason Acura actually wants the additive installed and directs the dealers to do so.

Personally, I never use additives in anything and never had an issue as a result on my high mileage vehicles. Many articles I've read have indicated most of them don't really cause an improvement and some can cause actual harm but they all will hit your wallet somewhat but they make some people feel better - like a placebo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not ask for it but I do know BG are good products. When I went to the parts counter, I saw bulk BG products. It was part of the service and was not charged as it was a CPO and I was reviewing the history.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd like to use full synthetic transfusion fluid, but alas, there isn't a lot of support across any Honda / Acura vehicles for replacing DW-1 with an alternative. (If someone disagree, please post a link to where there is good information.). Anyway, my 2006 transmission had shudder that completely resolved with a single drain / fill with new fluid. My 2015 6-speed shifts like silk, so it's hard to mess with something that is so smooth. I'll likely just continue to use OEM fluid... and it kills me to say that as I know there are better fluids out there and I know the dealer overcharges out the as*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts