Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dangerously close to closing in a deal on a certified 2015 SH-AWD Advance + Entertainment with 12,500 miles on it. The dealer has it listed for $51,900, but I'm having some success negotiating that down. I'm basically targeting $48K, but my trade-in is also a moving target of negotiation.

My wife and I don't have huge interest in the rear entertainment and likely wouldn't pay for it if buying new. So a regular Advance SH-AWD with a $56K sticker is the other option.

The Certified is the dark grey with Graystone interior while new is dark grey with ebony interior. I'm sort of split on which I prefer. I like the durability of black and it looks a better match with the dash, but graystone pops a bit more in contrast and since the roof is lighter, graystone matches there more.

That said, it seems new cars can be had for close to invoice, but with destination, maybe it's $53K.

So $48K vs $53K for:
2015 vs 2016
6AT vs 9AT (really not sure I prefer the 9AT)
12k miles vs 0 miles
With certified, warranty for both is roughly 4 years
Gray vs Black Interior
Entertainment vs Non

It seems I can save ~$5K and get entertainment on a well cared for certified. We generally don't keep cars too long, but this one we probably will as we just added a child to the equation and my wife really wants a reasonably sized third row SUV. Generally we buy 1 year certified cars over new as they usually represent better values and at least in German cars (Audi/BMW) the certified warranties are notably better. On Acura, it is just 1 year added so not really a big deal. We only drive 5000-7500 miles per year, so length is often more important than miles for us.

Here's the certified one:
Used 2015 Acura MDX For Sale | Houston TX

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it was me, I would get the certified.

- Longer warranty on Certified vehicles

- 12,500 mile is nothing, you save $5k.

- REar entertainment is a huge plus if you have kids

I prefer the 6AT because it's already proven. But you should test drive both to see which one you like more.

Just make sure to check the certified thoroughly for defects before signing. Same with the new one if you choose to get that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! We've test drove both.

On the warranty, it's basically the same. This car was originally sold 08/06/2014 and the Certified extends the warranty 1 year, so warranty expires 8/6/2019 which is almost the same as buying a new car which today would expire 8/21/2019.

The powertrain warranty is extended out to 7 years though, so that is an advantage.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, I'm down to $52K for new. The Certified dealer isn't responding to my last deal, so it's not possible I can even get that deal, they're firm at $49K they said. My wife is leaning towards new just because the price is so close.

Granted we lose the rear entertainment, we gain peace of mind and can get the more preferred ebony interior we want as well as the 9AT (for good or bad) and revised SH-AWD.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'd go for the new car. On a $52k purchase what's $3-4k anyway? Nothing like being the first owner. I've had my car since it had 8 miles on the clock and wouldn't have it any other way ;).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am on the same boat right now. To me, if the delta is less than $5k, go with new. instead of getting a used one. you don't know the full history of the used one.

Here in Denver, the best deal I can get is $1k over invoice. Not in rush, will buy when I can get it at invoice.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The '16 has a few other extra features and if the difference is only $3k I would go new. The '16 should get a little better mpg as well. Rear entertainment is a waste of money in my book and adds $0 value.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went new. Grey Advance SHAWD with Ebony. Got the OEM trailer hitch, all weather Matt's, trunk Matt, wheel locks, rear applique and splash guards.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone confirm how the 2016 SHAWD has been revised/improved. Someone said it was also improved for 2016.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
To be honest I've heard it both ways. Some people claim improved, others say changed for mpg but not in a good way. Nobody has given us any proof of either. Only time will tell. I mean mpg is actually 1 down highway afterall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts