Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen.. ladies, Have a issue with my 2016 mdx need your input. First off suv have original battery. Started the vehicle via remote drove about 30mins and stopped off at the service station to get gas. Now the battery is dead, will not turn the starter over. Light's, GPS and radio all work. Had to get a boost to get moving. Btw the suv was parked 2days prior. Anyone encounter this problem. Had a 07 with the hfl module draining the battery. Was thinking something along that line. Suggestions please

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have Your battery load tested.If good look for parasitic draw.I think You will find Your battery at the end of it's useful life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I cannot understand it started up. One would think if the battery was low on pwr it should not be able to turn over the starter. But I will look into battery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
What I cannot understand it started up. One would think if the battery was low on pwr it should not be able to turn over the starter. But I will look into battery.
There are all sorts of weird power scenarios. Glad you at least got at least one good crank out of her before it gets recycled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thnx will take your advice. Just wanted to know why the vehicle started in the first place and then failed when I stopped. One would assume the battery would have been charged sufficient to restart after 5mins stop with no accessories running.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Original 3 year battery in a 4 year old car? Hummmm. Go buy a new battery.
My Cars with "3 or 4 year warranty batteries"
My two 97 cars (not acura) are each on their second battery. Each has lasted over 10 years
My 2004 Duramax truck original batteries lasted 11 years, Second still going strong
My 2015 duramax is on it's original batteries (5 1/2year) and no indication it is weak.
And on the duramax, the glow plug draw is over 200Amps! not long, 5 or 10 seconds, but still lots of draw, then add 200+ amps for the starter
It's been a long time for me that a battery hasn't lasted at least 8 years.

I'd first look to make sure the OP didn't by accident have an interior light or something simliar on that discharged the battery

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gentlemen.. ladies, Have a issue with my 2016 mdx need your input. First off suv have original battery. Started the vehicle via remote drove about 30mins and stopped off at the service station to get gas. Now the battery is dead, will not turn the starter over. Light's, GPS and radio all work. Had to get a boost to get moving. Btw the suv was parked 2days prior. Anyone encounter this problem. Had a 07 with the hfl module draining the battery. Was thinking something along that line. Suggestions please
wonder if you have a loose battery terminal. Once you try a high current draw, the resistance is such that the starter won't turn over. But when jump starting, you clamped directly to the wires, not the terminal and car started fine. Take battery cables off, clean the terminals with a terminal cleaning brush, reattach and tighten down and see if the problem is solved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  • Mcracer, your logic make a lot of sense. I've just finished cleaning the battery terminals and clamps.. Finger's crossed your suggestion will solve my problem. No worst feeling when you're stuck somewhere and have to wait for a boost. Yu(y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
  • Mcracer, your logic make a lot of sense. I've just finished cleaning the battery terminals and clamps.. Finger's crossed your suggestion will solve my problem. No worst feeling when you're stuck somewhere and have to wait for a boost. Yu(y)
let us know the results!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not all batteries are built to the same spec, so don't expect 8-10 years out of an OEM MDX battery. Loads of MDX owners have posted here about strange electrical issues that have turned out to be the battery failing.

To the OP, if it's not a loose terminal, you probably had a cell fail after you started the car in the morning. Enough capacity to turn on lights after getting gas, but no where near enough to engage the starter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Cars with "3 or 4 year warranty batteries"
My two 97 cars (not acura) are each on their second battery. Each has lasted over 10 years
My 2004 Duramax truck original batteries lasted 11 years, Second still going strong
My 2015 duramax is on it's original batteries (5 1/2year) and no indication it is weak.
And on the duramax, the glow plug draw is over 200Amps! not long, 5 or 10 seconds, but still lots of draw, then add 200+ amps for the starter
It's been a long time for me that a battery hasn't lasted at least 8 years.

I'd first look to make sure the OP didn't by accident have an interior light or something simliar on that discharged the battery
All anecdotal and specific to your vehicles/circumstances of course. Not to imply certain things should not be double checked though.

I do hear you. I have had ‘grocery getters’ with basic stock batteries last well over what is a ‘typical’ lifespan. At other times, I have had to replace my stupid Honda’s dead, two year old battery when the temp was -10F :(. Ugh.

FWIW, I am not aware of that any of my friends who own an MDX have had their batteries last very long per se. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
On the MDX's that have the TWO-WAY remote starter, maybe the car "looks" for a fob every so often (by pinging the remote, maybe) and that can, over time, cause battery problems. Most car makers use one-way remote starts, where you press the remote start button on the fob and hope the car did indeed start. The MDX system gives a green light on the fob to confirm that car is started. It's actually a really nice setup with a VERY long range (I've found). Not suggesting this is the problem, but merely tossing this factoid out there for consideration.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BTDT over the last 20 years. Drive car somewhere and then it won’t start 20 minutes later. Usually a failed cell. Ford, Audi, Honda, can happen to any make. Replace battery, move on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like loose battery terminal. I had the same problem last week with a Nissan Frontier, bad battery negative cable and bad grounding in general. I added new post clamp, new ground wire to motor, another to chassis, and another from engine to chassis. It was throwing weird codes and wouldn’t start, service engine lights, check engine etc. which all started with a bad negative battery post clamp. If you drive in the salt zone grounding can be a headache.

·
Registered
532 Posts
There have been a lot of posts over the years about batteries failing after 4 years with the gen3 MDX; I would consider that normal, depending on usage. You could take it to a shop and have them do a proper test but then you would be obligated to pay them to replace it. Alternatively just go out and buy a quality battery and DIY. Personally I am a low-mileage driver these days and my battery is still working on my 2016, delivered in July, 2015. I know I am on borrowed time. Also it seems typical that when the battery fails it does so as a complete surprise - no warning, no struggling to start the car. It just doesn't start the car, after having worked 100%. I am carrying a lithium jump-start kit just in case, which I have used to start several cars and trucks with big engines - no problem - and a boat with 2 rotax engines (difficult, but there were other problems than just a weak battery). It is a good investment.

As for the fob, the standard fob has a low frequency receiver and a long range VHF (?) transmitter. The car is constantly transmitting a low power, low frequency identification. If the fob receives that (it is constantly listening), which usually requires being within a meter or so of the car, it responds with its matching code. That is how the car knows to let you operate the various door and deck switches, as well as the ignition button. The remote start kit probably adds a long range transmitter to the car and a receiver to the fob. Considering the short range of the car's standard transmitter I doubt that the power draw is significant. The standard fob will need a new battery every 2 years or so - keep a spare in the glove box (I put one in the clear window for business cards in the car's wallet). If the fob battery is too weak to open the door then one can use the physical key to open, then replace the fob battery and go - there is no hardware lock for starting.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What You may not realize is that Honda uses a Dual mode charging system.When there is a need for power it does not charge,like during acceleration.It charges on deceleration and idle.So,Your battery may not have charged much in 5 minutes,depending on how You drove.

·
Registered
134 Posts
What You may not realize is that Honda uses a Dual mode charging system.When there is a need for power it does not charge,like during acceleration.It charges on deceleration and idle.So,Your battery may not have charged much in 5 minutes,depending on how You drove.
"Controlled" charging is becoming a much more common process from many car mfg. Even my GM diesel 3/4 ton truck has the battery charging cycle controlled by use parameters. Normally the charging doesn't start until 5 minutes or more after cold start, and under heavy load the charging rate is reduced or stopped temporarily.

In fact, I'd be suprised if controlled charging wasn't being done on vehicles that must go through the EPA fuel economy testing. It's been pretty common for at least 10 years.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts