Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have an 05 MDX (non navi) with 153xxx miles, just replaced the transmission about 2-3 weeks ago now I'm starting to have battery/Electrical issues. I took the vehicle back within the same week because I wasn't getting ANY heat up front(it was working fine when I dropped it off). I noticed while they were looking under the hood that a thick frayed copper wire wasn't attached to wherever it should be (sorry I'm not car savvy....don't bash me lol). The guy actually waved it around. Ivery been driving for about a week and one morning the car hesitated to start but it did. A few days later....dead battery in the am. I jumped thank you vehicle with my jump box and took my daughter to her business stop. I drove back home to get her violin and the interior lights were extremely dim when I opened the door to get back in. Again a dead battery? Has this happened to anyone else? Could the non connected wire be the culprit?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The problem with a transmission swap is twofold. First, you have to hope that the used / rebuilt transmission is a good one (isn't always the case). Second, SO much stuff gets disconnected / moved / reconnected during the process that there is a host of stuff that can go wrong.

That seems to be what happened to your vehicle.

That "frayed copper wire" is most likely the ground strap that connects the chassis/body to the engine (and therefore, the alternator). If so, it's a heavy (kind of finger-wide flat braided cable) that connects to the body up near the hood release, and runs down to the engine block. If it's not connected, the charging system won't work right since the "loose connection" to the alternator ground will mess up the voltage sensing and the charging current's path. Get that fixed (your mechanic should be more than willing to reconnect it, given he neglected to put it back on), and then see if you still have problems (I'm guessing you won't).

If you have access to a voltmeter, put it across the battery terminals with the car running, and you should see 14.7 volts DC, give or take. If you're getting that, the charging system is OK (do this test AFTER fixing the ground strap),

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Non-connected wire is not likely the problem, sounds like a ground wire. Shops are notorious for leaving bolts loose and wires dangling.

A failing battery (test), or continuous small drain (blue tooth phone is frequent culprit), but could be many possibilities. A drain test (amp draw w/ engine off) is necessary to find the drain if that is problem.

good luck

·
Registered
707 Posts
That sounds like the grind wire at the front of the engine. If it?s the bundle by the washer fluid and nit connected, it?s the ground for many systems so could cause problems.

It wasn?t clear if the battery died after or before the loose cable was attached. Hopefully they rechecked all wires and connections to make sure they are good and fully reconnected once the tranny work was done.

How old is your battery? It should have a sticker on the side. If it?s more than 4 yrs old, it could be dying. Is there any white corrosion where the cables attach to the battery? If really bad, corrosion on the terminal could block the alternator from charging the battery. An auto parts shop might be willing to test the battery, check if your getting 14 volts at the battery while the engine is running, and check if the terminals need cleaning. You might want to call around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.