Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to convert a US spec MDX to Day Time Running lights? Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy Holidays!!!!!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Speedhumps:

___TheWorm’s setup apparently works great …

___Why can’t or doesn’t Acura simply equip the American destined X’s with DRL’s as the Canadian versions come with this solution as a std. feature? I believe it is required by law up North?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
At the time, the mods to the kit were a PITA. Primarily because the kit itself has no schematics -- "just plug it in!". Not so fast on negative switched with no spark plug wires! Once I figured out which wire did what on the DRL module, it was easy enough.

xcel - I agree the car should just have the DRLs standard. One of the easiest and least expensive passive safety features a car can have IMO.

·
Registered
249 Posts
DRL

I am trying to rewire the fog lights to turn on independently of the headlights and thereby be useful as DRLs. Although with this mod the parking lights are on as well and you have to actively turn the fog lights on. Please see the posts in General Discussion if anyone has interest, insights, knowledge, or suggestions.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: DRL

HrdTsk said:
I am trying to rewire the fog lights to turn on independently of the headlights and thereby be useful as DRLs. Although with this mod the parking lights are on as well and you have to actively turn the fog lights on. Please see the posts in General Discussion if anyone has interest, insights, knowledge, or suggestions.
Very easy and does not involve the parking lights at all.

If all you want to do is have the fog lights on whenever the ignition is on, just run a 3A fused line connecting the wht/red wire of the foglight switch to the thick YEL ignition2 wire coming from the steering column. This allows you to switch on the foglights independently of the headlights.

If you want the fogs to stay on regardless of the foglight switch position, use the blu/grn wire instead of the wht/red, and add a conveniently located cutoff switch if you want to be able to turn your DRLs off.

If you want to have the fog DRLs shut off whenever the headlights are on (fog switch still funtions as normal, just the DRLs are cut), as I have done, it will involve more work.

It requires a relay to shunt off the bypassed power to the fogs when it senses voltage from the combo headlight switch. Well worth the effort if you don't want the foglights as DRLs running simultaneously with the headlights. If this doesn't matter to you, just make the one connection described above and you are all set.

While you have the panels removed there are some other mods you can perform conveniently.
Aside and regardless from DRL function, the fogs will automatically cut-out when the high beams are activated. You can allow the fogs to remain functional despite the high beams if you use a 1-1/2 inch jumper to connect blk to whit/blu at the combo light switch harness. You will then have the unique ability to have all three pairs of OEM lights on at once, High, low, and fogs - talk about bright! Comes in handy when following a twisty 4x4 trail along the edge of a cliff during the middle of the night(almost took a 100ft lake dive once, before the light mods).

I can provide more detailed install info if anyone if interested.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for your help

What I am really interested in is running the fog lights with the parking lights as described in the thread below. Note that the color of the wiring appears to have changed in 2003. How would this be done, (ie which wires are involved) with the new 2003 wiring color pattern?

I would consider setting up the fogs as switched DRLs (have them independent of the parking lights) but from your description it may be beyond my limited technical capability.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4495

·
Registered
249 Posts
New wire colors

I tried this mod today with my 2003 Mdx Touring Nav. The color of the 5 wires seems to have changed. Mine has (top to bottom at the fog light switch) :

White/Blue
Blue/Green
Red/Green
Red/Black
Red

·
Registered
180 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts