Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
no need, just turn the headlites on!

did you know, there is an auto-off feature for the headlites when you exit the vehicle and tun off the ignition?
try it!

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you turn the headlights on during the day, the LCD screen dims (thinking that it is nighttime). The obvious solution to that is to adjust the LCD brightness. But, you will have to adjust it manually every time - brighten for daylight, dim for night.

·
Registered
235 Posts
driving lights installed-used as DRLs

mdxuser,

i installed driving lights ( PIAA solitaire blue ion purchased from manus 1980) and use them as daytime running lights by always leaving the switch on.

do a search and you will find specifics.

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
249 Posts
DRLs

I have been trying to figure this problem out for awhile as well. I would like the fog lights to be used as DRLs with the fog light switch to turn them on and off. I even posted a schematic in a prior thread (http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4495&perpage=15&pagenumber=3) to see if anyone can help. Some site members said they would look into it but never posted a solution so far. I think this summer I will try to do this mod probably with some professional help as I am not that technically skilled.

·
Registered
738 Posts
mdxuser said:
Has anyone installed day time running lights on a usa mdx?
MDXuser,

You didn't indicate whether you have an 01-02 or 03. The lighting circuits have changed to accomodate the autoheadlights.

My solution will work on an 03, but the connection will be different and I will need to re-track posted schematics and re-align the modifications for you if you have an 03.

Otherwise, I feel my DRL modifications using foglights works well, and doesn't involve the parking lights that some other users here wanted (but which I can't understand, as I am unaware if any OEM DRL system that involves parking or courtesy lights). They also turn off when the headlights are on, and allow them to be used simultaneoulsy with the highbeams when needed.

Search on DRL and my handle, theycallmebruce which describes my modifications. Let me know if you have have specific wiring questions, but specify what year model MDX you have.

·
Registered
476 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:

MDXuser,

You didn't indicate whether you have an 01-02 or 03. The lighting circuits have changed to accomodate the autoheadlights.

My solution will work on an 03, but the connection will be different and I will need to re-track posted schematics and re-align the modifications for you if you have an 03.

In California, it is illegal to use foglamps in substitution of headlamps. VC 24403. It is also illegal to drive with parking lamps lighted except when they are used as turn signals or the headlamps are also lighted. VC 24801. Foglamps would not qualify as "parking lamps" as they are not amber.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Dont the Canadian models have DRL's? Chances are the 2003's already have the wiring in place.

·
Registered
699 Posts
jthjr said:
If you turn the headlights on during the day, the LCD screen dims (thinking that it is nighttime). The obvious solution to that is to adjust the LCD brightness. But, you will have to adjust it manually every time - brighten for daylight, dim for night.
There's a setting to tell it not to adjust for when the headlights are on. I've got mine set that way and never have to reset it. I don't remember the name of the setting, but it's on the settings screen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jswift2000 said:
Dont the Canadian models have DRL's? Chances are the 2003's already have the wiring in place.
Yup. Canada has had a mandatory DRL law for new vehicles for many years. Hard to argue why you WOULDN'T want DRLs, considering they increase visibility, thereby decreasing your chance of an accident.

You raise a good point though - shouldn't it be relatively easy to reconfigure the USA X to use the existing DRL fuse?

Anyone out there try this?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
For 01/02, the wiring harnesses were different on Cdn and US models. The harnesses, congtrollers, et al were NOT in the US cars. I'd imagine the same for 03's, but someone with a service manual can check.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Spud said:

Canada has had a mandatory DRL law for new vehicles for many years. Hard to argue why you WOULDN'T want DRLs, considering they increase visibility, thereby decreasing your chance of an accident.
U.S. automakers lobbied Congress to raise the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards, because they said DRL caused a slight decrease in MPG. No raise in CAFE, no DRL's, they threatened.

Whether that's BS or not, Honda should have the easiest time of any manufacturer meeting CAFE with or without DRL's. They probably couldn't comply with all states DRL regs at the same time.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Canadian DRL Controller Plug In

TheWorm said:
For 01/02, the wiring harnesses were different on Cdn and US models. The harnesses, congtrollers, et al were NOT in the US cars. I'd imagine the same for 03's, but someone with a service manual can check.
\

Guess who got his '03 Service Manual last night, and read most of it?

The manual says there's a "Daylight Running Light Controller" on Canadian models (only) that plugs into a 14 pin connector behind the dash by the drivers right knee.

IF the '03 U.S. models have an empty 14 pin connector in this location, and IF we can buy the Canadian DRL Controller unit, we MAY be able to turn on the factory DRL features on U.S. cars.

Depending on the cost of the DRL Controller part, I'd be willing to plug it in and give it try.
Tim, if you're out there, can you order this Canadian part?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
This path has been travelled before. Do a search for DRL AND HARNESS for the discussion.

Skeptically yours,

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Worm,
Yeah, I saw most of the past threads on the subject, but there's nothing on the 2003.
TCM Bruce seemed to have about the best DRL install on a non-'03, but he also spent some time making custom harnesses. The "fog light relay jumper" route is another option, of course.
Maybe I'm tilting at windmills, but perhaps the '03 harness has brought the North Americas together. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get along with the same light harness?
I'll look for the empty 14 pin female connector this weekend. Then, if found, I'll test the pins to see if they're hot under different conditions. If that works, I'll email a Canadian dealer, or ask one of our Canadian posters to procure the Canadian DRL controller unit.
Or I might just drink a beer, instead.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
shootist said:
... I'll look for the empty ... female connector this weekend. Then, if found, I'll test ... to see if they're hot under different conditions. ... Or I might just drink a beer, instead.
If taken out of context, this sounds like a plan for a date that may or may not workout. :D

Good luck, either way.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
mgmdx said:

If taken out of context, this sounds like a plan for a date that may or may not workout. :D

Good luck, either way.
LOL :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce said:

MDXuser,

Otherwise, I feel my DRL modifications using foglights works well, and doesn't involve the parking lights that some other users here wanted (but which I can't understand, as I am unaware if any OEM DRL system that involves parking or courtesy lights). They also turn off when the headlights are on, and allow them to be used simultaneoulsy with the highbeams when needed.

Search on DRL and my handle, theycallmebruce which describes my modifications. Let me know if you have have specific wiring questions, but specify what year model MDX you have.
Hey Bruce!

Can you explain your solution for the 03 again or point me to the thread/post?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 88 Posts