Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is dedicated for my MDX build (got approval from mods to start this thread). Now many of you know that I own a 2017 MDX Tech package FWD with Black Copper Pearl exterior and from factory the Parchment interior. Also, many would've known this is our 3rd Honda product, first Honda being a 1999 Accord LX sedan with the F23a1 engine in Satin Silver Metallic with grey interior. Our second Honda product is a 2005 Odyssey EX-L w/ RES and Navi in Slate Green Metallic with grey interior. The Accord was named Lucky, because we kept her for 20 years, even while she was a complete money pit machine. The Odyssey was named Lelu, from the Robin Williams movie RV, where the RV's navigation is called Lelu, and we kept her for roughly 11 years.

As expected with the MDX being so similar to the Odyssey, I've decided to name her Lelu 2.0. I do plan on driving the vehicle till the wheels fall off or if the US government decides to ban the sale of gasoline.

The build for my amazing MDX is kind of simple on the exterior: going for a murdered out look. The interior, its a more complex and expensive route compared to the exterior. But after all I am building this vehicle for many reasons, some being real personal reasons and others, one being which that I want stand out from the crowd of soccer mom mobiles.

With that said, I will be linking each item to its dedicated thread, and just keep the final parts of said item on this one thread. Input on different prices within the state of Florida is much appreciated, but I will be gladly to go outside of Florida if prices are worth it than in-state.

Here is what I am planning to do in terms of modifications for the exterior (going for a murdered out look):
  • Permanent Chrome delete
  • Roof Rails and Roof box (just for the look mainly, and maybe some storage for emergencies)
  • Dark tints (probably looking anywhere from 10% to 15% on windows and sunroof, and looking at 35% on front and rear windshield).
  • Blacking out the head and tail lights
  • Fog lights
  • Aftermarket wheels with a bigger width tire (most expensive item on the exterior list)
  • Air ride suspension (2nd most expensive item exterior list)
  • ASPEC rear bumper swap
  • Decommissioned Japanese license plates (front only; rear plate will be used during car shows)
Here is what I am planning to do in terms of modifications for the interior (theme is luxurious feel)
  • Upholstery leather changing from leatherette to Nappa leather
  • Parchment color gone (will reveal color in the future)
  • Modification to steering wheel to have wood grain and leather similar to seat color
  • Parchment colored panels to become black
  • Audio system upgrade
  • Eventually add a RES system
  • Rolls Royce type of starlight w/ Alcantara headliner
  • Side curtains from the rear two doors
  • Neck cushions
Here's what I am planning for performance modification (honestly, I haven't thought much about performance mods):
  • Custom cat-Back Exhaust
  • Custom headers
  • Cold Air Intake
  • Tune (one for 87 octane, one of 93 octane)
  • 6 Speed manual transmission swap
So how much is this going to cost me? I am not sure myself, but it is going to be more than what a brand new MDX from factory would cost. But so far, as of February 2021, here are the prices that I have gathered for the following items:
  • $2500 for the ASPEC rear bumper conversion (body shop OTD in NYC)
  • $15,000 for custom Upholstery
  • $5,000 for Alcantara headliner with Rolls Royce style starlights and side pillars turning to alcantara
  • $1000+ for custom wood grain steering wheel
  • $10,000 for premium wheels (eyeing on a set of HREs)
  • $3000 for air ride suspension (FlyyAirr, and the founder of said company will be working on it while its at the tire guy's shop)
  • ~$1100 for roof racks and roof box combined
  • ~$500 for darker window tints
  • 2nd row neck cushions
Here's what I have done so far:
  • Painted OEM rims to Gloss Black ($320)
  • Front row neck cushions ($90); This is being redeemed under insurance claim for out of pocket expenses. Refer to accident thread.
  • 35% Window tint with top legal portion of windshield at 5% ($200)
  • Blackvue Dash Camera (not sure if this is a mod, but I'm putting it here either way) from previous vehicle ($250)

Reactions: JTM and mrgold35

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quite the list you have assembled boss! Wow.

I had been considering a heated steering wheel ($350) - not sure how much a stealer would charge to install and also had been looking up p/n's to see if it's possible to swap my instrument panel for an A-Spec one. I like the red look of the panel on the A-Spec. I can't really identify the exact part to swap as the illustrations always shown on websites make it difficult to interpret.

I was gonna go up to 255/45/20 wheels, but I've seen up my PSI in my OEM tires and it's quite a bit better to drive. Maybe when these wear out.

Let us know if you go with the fog lights...I've also been considering them up front.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Personally, I think OP is not being realistic. Especially when you see his talking about turning the mdx into a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I think OP is not being realistic. Especially when you see his talking about turning the mdx into a manual transmission.
What's wrong with MT swapping an MDX? At least I ain't LS swapping it. And that MT isn't high on my priority list as we speak. Its definitely on the list, and its very unusual to see an MT in an MDX. But then again, we are seeing Odysseys with MT conversions. So if there are Odysseys with MT, why can't we do an MT conversion on an MDX?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
What's wrong with MT swapping an MDX? At least I ain't LS swapping it. And that MT isn't high on my priority list as we speak. Its definitely on the list, and its very unusual to see an MT in an MDX. But then again, we are seeing Odysseys with MT conversions. So if there are Odysseys with MT, why can't we do an MT conversion on an MDX?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
The racing conversions are for companies with financial resources well above what most people have. Unless you or your parents have more money that you know what do with, it makes no sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts