Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I recently notice that some tires have date code and some do not. For example, on the set of Continental CrossContact LX20 tires I got 4 years ago, three have date codes and one does not. Has anybody noticed this? I am pretty puzzled. If somebody has a good explanation, I am all ears. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Did you check the other side of the tire?

All tires should have a date code, iirc... but it is only required to be on one side.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Confirmed. Check the inside sidewall for the date code.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 said:
While the entire Tire Identification Number is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current regulations also require that DOT and the first digits of the Tire Identification Number must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Number that appears incomplete and requires looking at the tire's other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Number

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! You are probably right. The tire w/o date code is in the rear and pretty hard to check. Otherwise, I would have checked it already. I can check it next time it is rotated to the front. It is kinda funny that the reason they only stamp on one side is

"The use of a partial Tire Identification Number on the one sidewall (shown above) reduces the risk of injury to the mold technician that would have to install the weekly date code on the top sidewall portion of a hot tire mold."

Well, the one tire that is now different from all others has all sorts of letters on its side wall. Somehow, they decided to skip a vital small piece of info. That is plain strange.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yea, if not on one side then the other.

I just swapped my winter tires for summers on the weekend and noticed that the set which are directional. Two of the date codes are on the inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.