Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well done guys!

You are much braver than I am. I have the same front camera as E92 but will likely just install it low near the display screen / dash area and just have the wire hang down towards the 12V outlet on the passenger seat. My wife is not crazy about the idea of the wire coming down but I'm too scared to undo the pillars like you guys did.

I'm going to do a temporary installation soon and drive around for a few days to see how it looks so low in sunny/rainny/night time/etc before I use the semi-permanent sticker.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can dual screen camera see out the back enough from the front in our cars or is a dedicated rear camera pretty much required?

Any recommendations for camera. Live in south east so I would think I would need capacitor based one. Car is in garage at night.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Can dual screen camera see out the back enough from the front in our cars or is a dedicated rear camera pretty much required?

Any recommendations for camera. Live in south east so I would think I would need capacitor based one. Car is in garage at night.
A separate cam at the back will have a substantially better view than one that has a rear facing front cam - i.e. one that looks through the cabin, with headrests and people and stuff in the back in the way, through the driver's view out the back window. I wouldn't even consider that as any alternative to having an actual rear cam.

Another decision is whether to have a dual cam capable camera for the front, i.e. where the data is stored and it likely would have a display and connect to just a cam at the rear via a cable that runs from the front to the rear, versus doing what I did and having two independent cams - one for the front and one for the rear.

There are lots of decent cams but I went with Viofo. They get pretty high reviews, have high quality video, and are fairly inexpensive. They're capacitor based. I leave the cams in the vehicle so I don't want to leave a very expensive one in there. These Viofo cams are in the $100 range and two of them are less than some of the other cams that are available - especially the dual cam ones.

Disclaimer - I actually had one Viofo A119 fail on me after some years of using it but I just fixed it myself for a couple of dollars by soldering in a new capacitor (which is what failed). I have two other Viofo cams (A129) that haven't had failures.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve never seen a dual screen camera but if they just have a lens pointing forward and another pointed towards the back, it would likely work better in a car than a 3 row SUV.

I have a 2 channel Blackvue camera. It’s essentially what @mdxstang explained above. Both cameras attach to the same unit and record to the same storage device.

There are many options for cameras. I had a cheaper DoD camera in a previous vehicle and it failed so I went more high end with the Blackvue based on reviews. A bit of research should help you make your decision.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts