Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my dash cam installed. Routed it through the headliner and used the 12V outlet as I didn't want any warranty claim pushback from Acura if I did a hardwire. I usually do a hardwire after the warranty has expired. I had to loosen the A-pillar cover carefully to carefully route the cable behind the air bag. I recommend you get a professional to do this if you install a camera.

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It will help when I do mine. I have the extra challenge of where to put the battery pack which I use for Parking mode. They used to fit under the seats in my RDX but there’s a lot less space under the seats in the MDX.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pictures. It will help when I do mine. I have the extra challenge of where to put the battery pack which I use for Parking mode. They used to fit under the seats in my RDX but there’s a lot less space under the seats in the MDX.
No worries! The A-pillar cover is loosened by removing a screw. Move it gently as their is a speaker and wire connected to it. Attached is a picture of my wire routing behind the air bag.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also bought a cheap trim tool kit from Amazon for pushing the wire into the ceiling and making room in the headliner.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Got my dash cam installed. Routed it through the headliner and used the 12V outlet as I didn't want any warranty claim pushback from Acura if I did a hardwire. I usually do a hardwire after the warranty has expired. I had to loosen the A-pillar cover carefully to carefully route the cable behind the air bag. I recommend you get a professional to do this if you install a camera.
It looks great with the 12v power outlet is kind of hidden on the side of center console. It won't look as great on 3rd Gen since it is on top. :(

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
2 Posts
OP - Did you have to disconnect or should you disconnect when removing the A-pillar just in case the airbag might deploy?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OP - Did you have to disconnect or should you disconnect when removing the A-pillar just in case the airbag might deploy?
I didn't disconnect anything. I just carefully created enough room to slide the wire behind the air bag into a wire holder/channel that was already there. I recommend that people get a stereo install shop to install the camera. Working around air bags is dangeorus as they are explosive.

Some people don't take anything apart and run the wire in front of the air bag. I didn't do this as I didn't want the wire to impede the function of the air bag or hit my passenger in the face if it deployed.

I recommend that people not do this themselves. It is much better to get a shop to do it. They charge maybe $50 and it takes them an hour. Most stereo retailers than sell dashcams do the install for a cheap price.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Vancouver - it looks like you did a nice job.

It looks great with the 12v power outlet is kind of hidden on the side of center console. It won't look as great on 3rd Gen since it is on top.
I did a similar install on my 3rd gen and it's very unobtrusive where it goes into the accessory outlet at the very front of the console (the one 'on top' that's vertically oriented), The cable barely is in the open as it routes to it and plugs into a multi-USB jack I plugged into the accessory - so I can plug another USB cable into it as well if I want. It's something most people would never even notice unless they're studying it closely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got mine installed today. I took the A pillar piece off. As mentioned above, there is a screw behind the AirBag logo. It just flips back and the screw/bolt is right there. Once you take that out, the trim piece comes off. Just pull it towards the roof slightly when you feel resistance. There is a connector to the tweeter so be careful not to pull too hard. I disconnected the connection to give myself more room.

The rest was just routing the cables to make sure they go in behind the air bag. I also used the 12v power outlet on the passenger side of the console. It’s hidden quite well. I ended up putting the two BlackVue battery packs under the passenger seat. I put them in from the back. There’s not much room under the seats. They don’t go in as far as I’d like but they are hidden. Theres a child seat behind the passenger seat so no one would have their feet under the seat anyway.

For the rear camera, I couldn’t find a way to route the cables along the hatch to stick it to the window. I stuck the camera to the hard part of the headliner. I’ll see what kind of visibility I get. I think it’s fine. I routed cable along the headliner to the rear door and then down to the trim along the floor so the cable doesn’t interfere with the side air bags.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got mine installed today. I took the A pillar piece off. As mentioned above, there is a screw behind the AirBag logo. It just flips back and the screw/bolt is right there. Once you take that out, the trim piece comes off. Just pull it towards the roof slightly when you feel resistance. There is a connector to the tweeter so be careful not to pull too hard. I disconnected the connection to give myself more room.

The rest was just routing the cables to make sure they go in behind the air bag. I also used the 12v power outlet on the passenger side of the console. It’s hidden quite well. I ended up putting the two BlackVue battery packs under the passenger seat. I put them in from the back. There’s not much room under the seats. They don’t go in as far as I’d like but they are hidden. Theres a child seat behind the passenger seat so no one would have their feet under the seat anyway.

For the rear camera, I couldn’t find a way to route the cables along the hatch to stick it to the window. I stuck the camera to the hard part of the headliner. I’ll see what kind of visibility I get. I think it’s fine. I routed cable along the headliner to the rear door and then down to the trim along the floor so the cable doesn’t interfere with the side air bags.

View attachment 117954 View attachment 117955 View attachment 117956 View attachment 117957
Great job! Awesome workaround on the rear camera. Can you post more photos of the rear wiring? Do you have a 2 channel camera?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great job! Awesome workaround on the rear camera. Can you post more photos of the rear wiring? Do you have a 2 channel camera?
Yes, a 2 channel camera. I’m not convinced of the visibility in that location but I did see some posts of people mounting it there on other vehicles so I’ll give it a shot.

I ran it along the headliner until I got to the rear door and then to the floor using the weatherstripping. Along the floor, up the A pillar, and to the camera tucking the cable into the headliner along the windshield. The cable was just long enough.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, a 2 channel camera. I’m not convinced of the visibility in that location but I did see some posts of people mounting it there on other vehicles so I’ll give it a shot.

I ran it along the headliner until I got to the rear door and then to the floor using the weatherstripping. Along the floor, up the A pillar, and to the camera tucking the cable into the headliner along the windshield. The cable was just long enough.

View attachment 117959 View attachment 117960 View attachment 117961 View attachment 117962 View attachment 117963
Thanks very much!!! Brilliant! Thanks for the battery pack picture. That was my next question. Would there be more room under the second row seats for the battery pack?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks very much!!! Brilliant! Thanks for the battery pack picture. That was my next question. Would there be more room under the second row seats for the battery pack?
The batteries are further under than it looks in that picture. It’s just the angle.

I’m sure I checked the second row. I’ll need to check again. They can be moved fairly easily if I want to change things around……and then there’s the access to the 3rd now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So, I ended up rerouting my rear camera. I wasn’t happy with the view from the camera with it on the headliner. The pictures in a separate post showing how the rubber channels can be removed helps. They just pull away from each side. The hardest part is working the cable through the rubber channel. The one on the passenger side has the hose for the rear washer. The drivers side has a bundle of wires. The one on the passenger side seems to have a bit more room to run another wire. Having something rigid to fish it though would definitely be the way to go. I’ll attach some pictures of the new way I routed It. Between this and my post above it will show a couple different options for someone wanting to route a two channel camera.

Here is a link to the post specific to routing the rear camera.

Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Plant Window
Window Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas Wood
Hood Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Office equipment
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle
Building Window Garage door Door Fixture

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve never had dash cameras, front or rear. Are these for recording hit and run type incidents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve never had dash cameras, front or rear. Are these for recording hit and run type incidents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They record as you drive which is good for capturing the events leading to an accident. With auxiliary power, they can also record when parked.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
A few reasons -

- Hit and run where the other driver just takes off immediately after the accident. A dashcam can capture the license plate.

- In accidents the other person often (maybe usually) will claim it was your fault to their insurance company regardless of what they say at the scene. A picture is worth a thousand words here where you can absolutely prove the other person was at fault (assuming they were the cause). Generally the other person is lying but there are also times when neither party is really sure what happened and seeing the video can clarify exactly what happened and who was at fault.

- Scams. There are plenty of people perpetrating accidents to fraudulently collect insurance payouts. This includes people who actually reverse into your car on purpose and then claim you rear ended them and they now have back and neck issues, where a pedestrian claims you hit them but didn't, as well as many other insurance scams. Sometimes just pointing to the dashcam is enough for them to realize they aren't going to get away with it this time.

Plus sometimes you can capture other interesting things - like a meteorite I captured once, a bunch of (real) turkeys on the road I had to wait for, beautiful drives in Utah and elsewhere, funny looking cars like one with Christmas lights all over it, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts