Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

D light flashing

20K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  grant4561 
#1 ·
The D light starting flashing a couple of days ago.
Checked the next day and all good no flashing light.
It appears this indicates a problem with the transmission so I took it to a mechanic to check fault codes and it came up with code 070_03 Transmission control system.

I can't find anymore information about the fault code and need to know the next move.
Is it just a sensor fault, transmission ecu or something more sinister?

Assistance required team.
It's a 2003 Honda MDX here in Australia.

#2 ·
Looks like Honda HDS code and not obd2 code. From shop manual code 70-03 is Shift Solenoid Valve A stuck OFF.

Manual says first to drain and check ATF for metal debris or excessive clutch material. If found, replace transmission.

There is an extensive diagnostic to rule out other possibilities.

good luck

#3 ·
Thank's.
Hmmm, could be 50-50 how bad it is. A couple of questions though.

- Is Shift Solenoid Valve A internal or external to the transmission as if it is external I can probably replace it?
- Is there a "How Too" on the website for changing the transmission fluid?

#6 ·
Thank's.
Hmmm, could be 50-50 how bad it is. A couple of questions though.

- Is Shift Solenoid Valve A internal or external to the transmission as if it is external I can probably replace it?
- Is there a "How Too" on the website for changing the transmission fluid?
My understanding from reading the shop manual is this a hydraulic fault, but there are electrical checks in the diagnostic.

Yes, it is external to the trans and can be replaced. Procedure is described in shop manual.

ATF replacement is simple; drain ATF crankcase by removing bolt plug, and refill through overhead bolt plug or dip stick.

good luck

#7 ·
Thank's again.

I will change the trani fluid this weekend and hopefully can report back with no problems.

Being in OZ it is nearly impossible to gain access to a workshop manual as Honda appear to have everything tied up here for themselves so excuse my simple questions please.

#11 ·
Changed the oil over the weekend and after inspecting the debris on the oil drain plug and old oil it looks like there are no problems.
There was a minimal amount of clutch debris or metal shavings.
After reading other threads on here on what to expect I would say it was less than what most people have found so hopefully all is good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.