Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 MDX that I bought certified 2 years ago. It has 91000 miles.
The other night the check emissions came on and the engine starting sounding horrible. I took it in and the dealer says that cylinder #1 has zero compression but to figure out the problem they need to tear the engine down, at a cost of $1600. I still have my powertrain warranty and they say that it should be covered but they can not guarantee it.

I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the problems could be and the probability of it being covered.

Also my car is using lots of oil but they say that isn't a problem because it is only a quart per 1000 miles

·
Registered
888 Posts
Your dealer sucks, you should find another dealer.
They should be able to tell what is wrong by looking at the cylinder with camera...
If there is no compression, I would suspect, that your engine self destructed. This is first time I hear of 2010+ engine self destruction. There are 3 Documented cases of 07-09 self destruction....
I really wish you luck, I hope you will get new engine free of charge.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
if there is no compression in the engine then it should be covered under the warranty. It's not a manual transmission where you can over-rev it and drop a valve, and it's not like you starved the engine of oil either!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that something that I should try to have the dealer do instead? Seems odd that they wouldn't have done that as a first step. Any legitimate reasons for them not?

Also anyone have any experience with Acura trying to weasel their way out of engine trouble for powertrain warranties? I'm worried they will take apart the engine and then say it's not the engine and I must pay

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Is that something that I should try to have the dealer do instead? Seems odd that they wouldn't have done that as a first step. Any legitimate reasons for them not?

Also anyone have any experience with Acura trying to weasel their way out of engine trouble for powertrain warranties? I'm worried they will take apart the engine and then say it's not the engine and I must pay

Some dealers are pretty garbage and try to scare their customers into paying/buying things they shouldn't. A cheap boroscope though the spark plug will yield a lot of info. Hell even taking off the valve covers could give some insight into what is going on!

Sounds like the dealer barely did anything...

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would call Honda/Acura customer service first before committing to $1600 for a tear down. Let them know the dealer requires a minimum investment of $1600 only to tell what is wrong and whether or not it would be covered.

Also call other Acura dealers near you and see what they say. Worst case is you have to flatbed it to another dealer that can do a more reasonable cost diagnostic. $100 or less. Dealers are paid by Acura to perform this almost certain major repair. I'm sure they will work with you for the possible chance of doing a full engine replacement.

Hopefully the oil you have in the car is the correct grade, in good condition and of the right level. The last thing you will want is for them to try to use a technicality to get out of it. You may want to make sure this is the case before you take it to the next dealer.

By the way I've used Cerritos Acura and had great results and never a high cost diagnostic. (When my car was under CPO). Although I never had any major issues. You might want to try them.

Oh and 1 quart per 1,000 miles? That is 6 quarts per oil change. which puts you in the hole by 1 as the car takes 5 quarts. My 2007 with 110k miles burns virtually 0 oil. I accidentally overfilled it by .5 quarts and removed the filter to get the .5 out because I knew the car wouldn't consume it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Also my car is using lots of oil but they say that isn't a problem because it is only a quart per 1000 miles
Go somewhere else. Just the fact that they think 1 quart of oil every 1k miles is ok is BS. It def is NOT ok to be using that much oil.

I would call Acura customer care and get them involved. If they are smart, they will want to avoid a potential PR nightmare.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Like people recommended, do a non-invasive inspection first, if you can capture images of the condition, it will be great. You may want a mechanic to open the engine valve cover to see if there are any hints of damage/issues.

You can over-rev (until the limiter kicks in) the MDX if you are in sports mode and in a selected specific gear and you just go at it.

If your cylinder has zero compression, you most likely have a valve problem or a piston/ring issue. The bore scope analysis should tell you what is the problem, for something as bad as your case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer states that they don't have the camera to do the bore scope and it wouldn't provide enough detail. They say they have done the compression tests and the next step requires they take the engine apart and physically see what the problem is

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The most likely outcome is that it will be covered by warranty. The dealer is just making it clear that if for some reason it's not, you'll be on the hook for at least the tear-down. This is true for any warranty repair, this one just happens to be a big one.

I would not take it somewhere else to further investigate because there's potential that someone else could screw something up and void the warranty (or at least give Acura the option to argue such). Obviously this engine needs repaired one way or the other so you can pay them to tear it apart and go from there. What they find on the borescope really won't influence what happens next...one way or another it needs torn apart and repaired. That might be a good option if you were considering just scrapping the vehicle because if the borescope shows massive damage, it might not be worth tearing down. But I don't think that's the issue here. Best case, it's covered by warranty. Worst case it's not, at which point you decide if you want the dealer to finish the repair or you flat-bed it somewhere else.

·
Registered
353 Posts
And a camera is even less at Harbor Freight.

Why pay $1,600 with a the risk of paying more if it is not covered? I'd rather pay $85-100 and get a covered/uncovered decision by another Acura dealer. At that point I can decide whether to rebuild what I have or buy a used low mileage engine and have it dropped in. Just my personal opinion on how to handle it.

A competent dealership would: 1. Use a camera in a spark plug hole 2. drain the oil and examine the fluid and filter 3. remove one or two valve covers and examine underneath

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses.

I ended up calling a couple different Acura dealers and they both agreed that taking the engine apart needed to be done. I spoke with Honda Acura Warranty and they conveyed that absent abuse I would be covered.
So I authorized the work and it seems that it will be covered. They said that it was a burnt exhaust valve and they need to replace it and they will also do refreshing or grinding to the other valves.
Also I think they said that maybe a timing belt tensioner was leaking and they would fix that.

Dealer still says that I may be responsible for some incidentals, they are not sure yet.

Any questions I should ask or repairs that I should make sure that they make? My powertrain warranty only has 9000 miles left.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes you should do the full timing belt service right now while it is apart. T-belt, water pump, tensioner and serp belt. Spark plugs, hoses (if labor is already covered since they have it apart).

Have them check all seals for seepage and replace the ones that are easy to do at minimal incremental parts cost.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Another vote for doing the timing belt while everything is apart. Should save you some labor, particularly if they're replacing the tensioner per warranty.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Burnt exhaust valve? Still trying to figure that one out. Wonder if loose or faulty spark plugs were at play here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They said the spark plug for that cylinder was corroded but neither my family mechanic nor Acura made reference of loose or faulty.

The timing Belt was changed 25K miles ago by dealer who sold me the certified.
I'll ask about checking the seals for seepage. Any guess what an appropriate cost would be?

·
Registered
85 Posts
That 1600.00 is not a cost of repair, just for look and see. Engine taken apart is ransom for $$$. If you have another dealer nearby try them to see what they say. I had 2008 MDX for 7 years. Never had any issues other than incidental maintenance only major jpb being timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's not funny that the dealer can estimate 10 -11 hours of tear-down labor, at about $155/hr, for the removal of the valves.
They are not charging for fixing or replacing anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Car is fixed and covered by warranty. Except after driving back to work I here a sound in the the engine upon accelerating. Turns out to be the Serpentine belt tensioner, but they claim that it's random that it went bad immediately after the work they did.
After much discussion I only have to pay $129 for the part.
So now valves are fixed and so is the serpentine belt.

Driving this weekend for a camping trip the car seems to drive a bit sluggish, like it's lacking in power. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. It was fully loaded with camping gear

1 - 20 of 20 Posts