Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done removing the cylinder head cover? My 2011 MDX is leaking oil through the bolts (one in the front #17, one in the rear #18).
Genuine Acura OEM Automotive Parts Catalog - Bernardi Parts
I would like to replace these bolts/washers/seals. Can I just remove the leaky bolt/washer/seal and install new one in? Is 63 ft-lb torque accurate for this bolt?

Strangely, my mdx and odyssey has oil leak these bolts.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
63 ft lbs is way too much. Don't have the specific number at the top of my head, but it absolutely isn't even a third of that much.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SuperTech, you are correct, 63 ft lbs is way too much by looking at the bolt in my hand. It looks tiny and fragile, and it has an integrated head/nut at the thread (self torque?). If I have to guess, it is no more than 10 ft lbs.

Anyway, I went ahead and replaced the bolt on the Odyssey. I used a 1/4 rachet wrench to tighten the bolt. I tightened it slowly until the bolt was no longer turning. The leak seems to stop now. I'll do the MDX when I get the parts. If anyone is ordering this part, don't order the washer. The washer comes with the bolt. The diagram seemed to suggest you need to order the bolt and the washer separately.

I wonder if these leaks were the result of switching from dino oil to synthetic oil. I switched the Odyssey at around 50K miles; and the MDX at around 50K miles when I bought it and I had no knowledge of what type oil was being used before 50K.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Several times I was shooting alone valve covers. On my covers two screws torn a threaded connection and the screws will not hold the lid. However, no stains no oil.
Under these covers do not have oil pressure and from under the mounting bolts can not leak or anything, if a mechanic put the rubber seals correctly.
Show photo please. Really curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts