Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the 2016 and 2017 MDX's have cylinder deactivation? I heard this feature was removed when they went to Direct Injection.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Do the 2016 and 2017 MDX's have cylinder deactivation? I heard this feature was removed when they went to Direct Injection.
Where did you "hear" that? My 14 has direct injection AND cylinder deactivation. Certainly the 15 and 16 have both.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ That or the almost 400lb weight reduction?
Cuz I get 25mpg at 60mph with 300HP :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the MDX's before 2016 had it, but on my 17, I see nothing coming up when on the highway to tell me it's in "deactivation mode". Shouldn't there be a light of some kind to let you know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
there's no light you can feel try to feel. cruise on hwy for a while then when you the gas slightly you can feel the other two cylinder come on or maybe that's just a placebo effect.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
There was a mod on the Jeep side for the same thing on the HEMI V8..
They didn´t have a light or anything so they retrofitted one so a dashboard light illuminate when it was running on V4 or V6. Perhaps there is a way to do the same here?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
light

There was a mod on the Jeep side for the same thing on the HEMI V8..
They didn´t have a light or anything so they retrofitted one so a dashboard light illuminate when it was running on V4 or V6. Perhaps there is a way to do the same here?
I once drove a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit with the Hemi, and "Eco" would light up green in the IP when there was cylinder deactivation. On a car as expensive as the MDX, we really should have an indicator of deactivation, imo.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The engine hasn't changed much since the 2014 (also DI), so there's no reason to believe that they removed it from 16+

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Modern Jeeps do have it by I was referring to the late +2005 generation, The models with the HEMI came with some kind of VCM but there wasn´t a single light (Not even an ECO Light) to show when it was enabled during cruising so it will help people trying to hypermiling it... I was under the impression that the light for "ECO" in the MDX was to show when the car was VCM it... At least in my friend Accord with VCM the ECO Light is for that.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
there's no light you can feel try to feel. cruise on hwy for a while then when you the gas slightly you can feel the other two cylinder come on or maybe that's just a placebo effect.
I have never felt anything. I just assume that when the mpg is close to 30 that the cylinders are deactivated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts