Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://imgur.com/a/FB6cP

I am having trouble installing the axle seal because of that rather large metal lip on the transmission. Is that metal lip part of the seal that needs to be removed?

Frankly even removing what is left of the old seal is giving me trouble too since it kind of fell apart and feels like it was glued in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The manual helpfully shows removal of that seal from the back side. I really can't imagine that's necessary though - it's just pressed in from the front (outside) so it should also come out that way. You probably need a seal puller tool to get a good bite on the housing, and it might help to heat the area around the seal (but NOT the seal, which you want to keep cool), but don't heat it more than about 212° F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am confused. The metal tab/lip/ring is another seal on top of the cv axle seal that I am supposed to remove? I kinda had to dig out the old rubber with a pick and pliers. The new one I got from the dealership was only the plastic/rubber cv axle seal, without a metal tab/lip/ring.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The manual's not very detailed in terms of what it shows (obviously).

If the new seal is all rubber (no metal "housing") then you should be able to get it in around any reasonably sized lip by deforming it and allowing it to "grow" into the correct position.

If that can't be done, I can only guess that the "lip" (probably the seal carrier) is going to have to come out. Everyone does these differently. I recently replaced the axle seal on my son's Subaru - it lived inside a big screwed-in assembly that not only held the axle seal, but set the preload on the front differential (so it had to be marked and the turns to remove it counted so it could be screwed back in the right amount).

I kind of doubt that "lip" on the MDX sets the preload, because of the fact it's shown being driven in with a flat tool (and in your photo, looks to be flush with the face of the transmission housing). Honda recommends heating the case to get similar bearing and seal carriers out - might help here as well - just don't go nuts with the heat gun and melt something... You'll likely need something more robust than a flat screwdriver to get it out, too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Your explanation was about 1000x better than the dealership diagrams. I had to buy extra seals from them since even the parts guy couldn't even tell which seal went where nor was there that ring in the diagram. I'll just pry it out somehow. Between the hammers and pry bars, I'll figure something out

·
Registered
962 Posts
Many Youtube videos. Here is one example:

https://youtu.be/2CjrE_H62tg

You may be able to borrow remover and installer tools from a local auto parts store.

For installing, often a large 1/2 or 3/4 inch socket will have an outer diameter close to the seal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like you just need to pry out the old axle seal. I replaced an axle on my drivers side recently and the transmission fluid was able to get around the old seal. I had to get a new seal from the dealership. It was like 30$. I had no special tools other than a screw driver to get the old one out. The new one was a tight fit, but required no special tools to put it in. I have an 05 MDX. No leaks for a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts