Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing our 2002 Redrock MDX, the salesman pulled me aside and said that I would be contacted by an independent group doing a customer satisfaction survey in a few weeks. He said that he "expected" to get all 5's (the top mark) on every rating...!!! I asked him what the questions/categories might be and he basically gave a blow off answer. I left the dealer more focused on my $40,000 purchase than on the salesman's arrogance. I figured that I'd wait for the call and give honest answers; if they were 5's great, if not, oh well.

About 3 or 4 weeks passed and I got no phone calls. A letter then showed up from the owner of the dealership (personally signed) that in essence demanded that I rate the dealership a 5 on everything when I was contacted. The note went on to say that if I had any rating or comment that was below a 5, he (the dealer owner) expected a phone call. Still, at this point, I have no idea as to what will be asked....of cousre, I can surmize the types of questions from completing about a 1000 of these for other, previous purchases. I called the dealership and left a message for the owner (as he was in a meeting) asking for a return call to discuss his letter....

Well, it's been over 2 months since took delivery and still no customer satisfaction survey call or return call from the dealer. I keep waiting to get the call, but nothing yet! Anyone else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My dealer prompted me, by calling and asking me over the phone if I had any issues with how I was treated. They said we would like to know before Acura calls you to see if you have any complaints.
Then I did receive a rather simple form from Acura to fill out.
I had a couple of minor issues with regards to the delivery of accessories, etc. which were really an Acura problem not the dealer's.
Never heard back from anyone on the survey, but everything did work out OK.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon:

Thanks! That thread really says it all. So, my experience (sans the actual survey) was not unlike many others have experienced. Now I'm really annoyed!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I read the first page of the 'old thread' and will assume that the rest of the pages are more of the same. I don't particularly like the fact that some dealers are bribing customers for 5s, but to remind the customer that the survey is coming and to please give all 5s is nothing more than smart business. If you are told that the survey is coming, you will (1) tend to not ignore it, and (2) tend to give 5s!

·
Registered
392 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I read the first page of the 'old thread' and will assume that the rest of the pages are more of the same. I don't particularly like the fact that some dealers are bribing customers for 5s, but to remind the customer that the survey is coming and to please give all 5s is nothing more than smart business. If you are told that the survey is coming, you will (1) tend to not ignore it, and (2) tend to give 5s!
Well, I was told it would be coming, and to give all 5's (he he, maybe...i believe in honesty whether it is 5's or not!) ....and someone did call my home to do the survey on phone apparently, and my spouse gave them my work number and told them to call me. I never got the call. And i never received a survey in the mail either, other than on a follow up to a call i made to acura customer serive on an error in my in service date. So, i guess i'd give acura 1's on running their satisfaction survey. Am i being too harsh? I only have the X for three months. hmmmm.:eek:

·
Registered
81 Posts
We picked up our Redrock Base on Saturday and the salesman mentioned the survey. He asked if we could give them a rating of "5" (out of 5) when Acura called. He said that a rating of less than 5 would go against them.

While the dealer was very good, did everything he said he would and I would certainly recommend them to anyone, I do have a concern about giving any dealer the highest marks. I mean they certainly didn't give me a great price on the vehicle (we paid MSRP which appears to be the going rate), the accessories were about average in cost and they didn't give me more than my trade-in was worth. How then could I give them the best rating when they only did what they should and not much more? They were very good, thats about the best I could say.

I guess my question is, should I give them a 5 since they were very good as opposed to other dealers who were aweful (long wait for the color we wanted, charging over MSRP, requiring high priced accessories, etc.)? What does this survey really mean to the dealer? Better yet, what will it mean to the consumer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is possible that the survey process has changed, or is not the same for all locations. After my purchase in May, I received a telephone survey, not one in the mail. Any of my responses that were 4 or less evoked a follow-up question as to why. I think I gave mostly 4s, and one 3 for something like, experience at the dealership at time of purchase.

As I've said previously, my salesman tried to back out of a $500 off MSRP agreement by pretending that it was a manager's oversight. But then, I don't expect a lot (especially honesty) from car dealers.

Louise

·
Registered
191 Posts
I went through the same "all 5s for the survey" issue with my dealer when I purchased my X in June. I was told that a 4 was the same as a 1. I did have some issues with the dealer that I will not get into here but when I received the phone call for the survey I hesitated on giving all 5s. When I questioned the survey taker I was told that my name and scores would be given to and discussed with the dealer. When I mentioned that the dealer asked me to give all 5s the survey taker was interested in this, said it was a violation of some Acura policy and that Acura would take this issue up with the dealer. I really did not want to get embroiled in these issues with the dealer because I thought it may impact the level of service I received from the dealership. I gave all fives and told the survery person not to pass on the info. that the score to be given on the survey was discussed with me. Now, when I have an issue with the dealer I remind them that I cooperated with them on their survey and I expect 5 type treatment. They have been responsive to this and the few issues that have come up have been dealt with in a satisfactory manner. They have been very good on all follow up issues with the X even though the initial purchase experience was not all 5s.

2002 SS Touring w/ Navi. Puchased 6/11/02 with forced options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm. We had the same experience as Bomo....... they didn't plead with us to give them all 5s, but casually mentioned that we may be getting a survey in the mail, and if so, they "hoped" we would give them good marks." They also indicated that according to Acura, anything less than a 5 is considered to be a negative rating. Also, our dealership always follows up a service appt. with a phone call a day or so later, then a form letter less than a week later wherein they express their hopes that all was satisfactory with our service experience.

One time a year or so ago, we took in our Accord to our Acura dealer for some routine service, since they are closer geographically than the Honda dealer (both are owned by the same person, BTW). When the service was finished, I noticed with dismay that they had not washed the car... a minor disappointment, since it sure needed a wash and I was looking forward to not having to do it myself. Because I was in a hurry, I didn't mention it at the time. However, I did mention it in the "comments" section of the last dealer satisfaction survey I filled out.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
bomo wrote:
... I really did not want to get embroiled in these issues with the dealer because I thought it may impact the level of service I received from the dealership. I gave all fives ...
Do you think that the dealer managed to manipulate you a little [kinda, sorta, ....]? Dealers should fear less than 5 scores, not the purchaser!! Golly, maybe they will treat me bad with poor service because I spend $40,000 on a vehicle and was treated like I just bought a Ford Pinto [wanted something anoying and that came to mind].

Hey guys, if you can afford an MDX you can afford to walk into a Nordstrums [or comparable]. Hey, they WANT YOUR MONEY and will work to get it and work to get you to come back and spend more.

IMHO, something is really WRONG here.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I am sorry for ranting but my customers are encouraged to complain because I want to know what I need to do better. Customers are the reason for being!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
srpbep said:

Do you think that the dealer managed to manipulate you a little ... Hey guys, if you can afford an MDX you can afford to walk into a Nordstrums ... they WANT YOUR MONEY and will work to get it and work to get you to come back and spend more .... something is really WRONG here. ... Customers are the reason for being!!
edited for brevity!

I couldn't agree more. It's a study in intimidation --- when I hear that someone will give all 5s so they don't get screwed in the service department, all I can think of is a comment I heard once about waiters and waitresses - if you don't tip them big this time, next time they'll spit in your food! I can't live my life thinking I have to pay people to ensure that they don't do something bad to me in the future - that's b.s. and is nothing more than intimidation.

If you don't think the dealer deserves all 5s, don't hesitate to NOT give him all 5s - period, end of story!

·
681 Posts
Some Dealers Do It Right

I'm happy to say that my local dealer (McDaniel Acura of Charleston) does it the hard way. They have never mentioned a survey or tried to influence me - what they have done is an excellent job of servicing my car, nice perks like complementary carwashes, treated me like they gave a damn and ALWAYS call a few days later to make sure everything is to my satisfaction. Consequently, when the survey arrived, I had no problem giving them a great score WITHOUT prompting.
When I was in last week for an oil change I got to talking to a guy that I took to be a new salesman. He drove and X, was knowledgeable and knew this group well. I said some very nice things about the dealership and its management in conversation. Turned out he was a regional Acura "suit" who was there to compliment the service department for their >92% approval rating and high (top 20) national ranking. I'm glad he got to hear my honest opinions BEFORE I knew who he was.
In return, he authorized the service department to replace my plastic roof strips free because the showed some minor weathering. Sometimes it pays to be nice - both for the dealership and for me.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
54 Posts
survey prompt

Two days after my X was delivered, I got a call from the manager of the dealership asking if I had been contacted by Acura yet about a survey (which I had not). He "strongly urged" me to "help them out by giving 5's for everything!" Although I understand the competitive aspect of their business, I still thought it was more than a little tacky. I mean, do they forget that quickly that they are still selling these things for MSRP, and as soon as the '03's come out they will be asking for even more than that?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Good/Bad Dealers

It takes all kinds to make a world:

roadrunner has found an Acura dealer providing Lexus type service. My comment is :29: and wish they were all like this ...

BUT THEY ARE NOT

bdmd has found the other type, oh "please help us out". :28: OH PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK! If you want it, EARN IT. You DEMAND top dollar, you BEG for forgiveness for crappy service. Such a shame. Really taints the MDX experience. Finally found an appropriate place to use one of the smilies but it fits:

To all Acura dealers like the one referred to by bdmd, my response to you is simply :30:

I apologize to any and all who may be offended by my rudeness UNLESS YOU WORK FOR ACURA [dealership and/or corporate]. To those Acura employees, especially those with corporate, wish I could really deliver my inner feelings but there are those whose responsibilites would necessitate removing the post.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Mailed in my survey today.

Gave them the highest marks in all questions.
(the dealership and salesman actually deserved them)

Also, was reminder 2 weeks ago, when I picked up my MDX to expect a survey, and top marks would be appreciated.

No problem with the above, everyone has to earn a living,
but, talk about putting a gun to your head.

:11:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Good/Bad Dealers

srpbep said:
My comment is :29: and wish they were all like this ... BUT THEY ARE NOT ... bdmd has found the other type,
No not all Acura dealers as as good as we would like, however neither are all Acura dealers like the one bdmd found. I suspect that most Acura dealers are solidly inbetween. I would rank mine close to what roadrunner describes. Service and respect (to me) is as good as I have ever experienced. The dealership does not look as posh as the nearby Lexus dealership, but I'm into service not looks:cool: My dealers self-serve Cappucino is fine:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts