Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am starting to get closer to doing the stereo upgrade, and was wanting to get some ideas around custom made sub boxes, retro fits, etc. Aparetnly Q-logic doesn't make one yet for the MDX, and I know I read about many of you serious stereo guys who have had a custome made fibreglass box made. I would like to go with either one 12 in the back pass. side corner , or maybe two 10's , one in each back corner to maximize cargo area...any thoughts...and better yet, anyone willintg to share a pic or two about what your final product looks like...thanks in advance to anyone willing to share...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Custom Sub boxes

Hey audio buffs...no replies to this thread I started a while back...
Thought I would bring it up one more time....

Just looking for ideas (and hopefully a pic or two) on how you have made a custom sub box for a larger or deeper mounting sub...I know I read about some fibreglass and MDF creativity out there, would love to get a feel for how it looks...Thanks...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Custom Sub Install

Curtsan,
The aftermarket sub install in my MDX consists of one Boston Acoustics Pro Series 10" sub in the OEM "sub" location. It is powered by an Alpine mono channel 400 watt MRD-M500 digital amp. It is a completely stealth install and even uses the original grill cover so no modification is necessary.

The install was done by a professional. I don't know all the details about constructing the fiberglass box but he started by locating cardboard to form the exterior shape of the box, then doing multiple layers of the fiberglass and resin. The final box has about .5 cubic feet of volumn and physically connects the outer and inner metal body skin so that it becomes a rigid structure. The result is very tight and accurate bass reproduction with plenty of volume. The installer thought the results were better than the three 12" JL subs in his car! Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Curtsan,

I have 1 12" MTX in a custom box that is angled to blend into the corner up against the rear hatch. The box is covered in the same exact carpet material found in the X so it looks almost factory with no wires showing. It is powered by a 1ohm 600 watt translucent sub. 1 ohm provides lots of power without putting too much strain on the battery.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get the carpet from Acura, or a local install shop to match?

Is the box wood or fibreglass?

Di you end up having to cut some of the plastic interior trim panel away to fit it in?

Do you have any pics to share? My email is [email protected]

Thanks alot, Curtis

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I didn't make the box but I belive it is particle board covered with a carpet that matches perfectly. I would never cut away at the interior trim, the box is made to fit the truck so the sub is right up against the rear hatch. This way you can feel it. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance this week. I'll also post more pics of my custom gauges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts