Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I liked this LED light idea but wanted it to look more OEM and inside the door panel. My nephew has a RAV4 and he installed these lights that replace the plastic panels on the cargo door.

So I removed my brake light acess panel to do the same.

I didn't use the hard plastic clipboard because it cracked when I tried to cut it with a jig saw.:( The translucent report cover works well and cost $1

I marked the cut lines with pencil and stayed 1" away from the edges to avoid the clips behind. I used a circle template to create the radius corners.

I used a razor blade to trace the pencil lines to cut the opening. It took forever... I didn't sand down the edges good - too lazy. Then hot glued the translucent plastic to the back side.

I used a T10 18 SMD LED strip that connects to the courtesy light but kept the wiring inside the panel. You can use whatever light you want.

Modified panel installed. Some light comes through the original light cover.
Thanks Mrgold35 for the idea!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I love it! The brighter, the better!

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
62 Posts
Very interesting. I would consider this a true mod. I have already updated the OEM bulbs to LED but still disappointed in the overall light cast into the trunk area.

How much light makes it to the back of the 2nd row and the third row?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. I would consider this a true mod. I have already updated the OEM bulbs to LED but still disappointed in the overall light cast into the trunk area.

I only had one extra LED light for this and I only modified the passenger side panel. I'll let you know once I mod the other side as well and install the new light.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I ordered a pair of these 48 square LEDs for $8 on Amazon 2 years ago: Amazon.com: Cutequeen Trading 2PCS White 5050 48SMD 48-SMD LED Panel Dome Light Lamp + T10 BA9S Festoon Adapter (pack of 2): Automotive

I wasn't as creative and just stuck them right below the existing hatch light locations. The back of the LED panels were not sticky enough and I applied super glue to keep them in place. I love how bright they are:

Pic taken at 5am, no lights from the garage, my house, or street, only the double 48 LEDs and MDX cabin lights on:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here's a photo taken at 10 PM. Street lights are in the background but the rear of the X is pitch dark when the lights are off.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
62 Posts
@Age I think your last photo just sold me on this mod. I don’t get nearly that much light in the cargo area. I was thinking of ways to add a light to the sides of the cargo area because it was just too dark.

Before with the OEM Bulb.

After with the LED bulb

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Age I think your last photo just sold me on this mod. I don’t get nearly that much light in the cargo area. I was thinking of ways to add a light to the sides of the cargo area because it was just too dark.
FYI I am using the 24 SMD lights like these

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to make the lights align with the panel. I'm thinking about running two thin wires across the opening like a "t" and secure the light to these wires...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts