Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at the MDX for a while now and finally am ready to make the plunge and put down a deposit for a 2003 MDX Touring - Sage Brush that should be available by the end of May.

Oakland Acura gave me a price of $38,300 ($500 discount) or $41,817 with taxes and fees.

I know a while back MDXs were being sold at MSRP. Is it common now to find MDXs under MSRP? My concern is that when May rolls around, MDXs will be sold for a lot less than now since it appears that demand is finally slowing in the Bay Area.

I haven't contacted other dealerships yet but plan to call Hopkins and Concord. Any other dealers I should try.

Side note - I wasn't planning on purchasing an MDX until the end of the year but when I test drove it, I pushed my time frame up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the Chicago area and have not found any deals here. But I do not own one yet. I am also ready to take the plung...... I will let you know when we order ours if we get any deals. I think they are more willing to work with you when your going to put the money down. I was just looking when they were giving me pricing with no deals.

·
Registered
210 Posts
alluu said:
I have been looking at the MDX for a while now and finally am ready to make the plunge and put down a deposit for a 2003 MDX Touring - Sage Brush that should be available by the end of May.

Oakland Acura gave me a price of $38,300 ($500 discount) or $41,817 with taxes and fees.

I know a while back MDXs were being sold at MSRP. Is it common now to find MDXs under MSRP? My concern is that when May rolls around, MDXs will be sold for a lot less than now since it appears that demand is finally slowing in the Bay Area.

I haven't contacted other dealerships yet but plan to call Hopkins and Concord. Any other dealers I should try.

Side note - I wasn't planning on purchasing an MDX until the end of the year but when I test drove it, I pushed my time frame up.
I would be careful of the add on charges to this vehicle. I would ask them to list out the charges separately in an email or verbally so you know what you are being charged for, (preferably in writing). In addition, I have heard of this dealer selling cars out from under people on waiting lists.

Just something to consider. Try doing a search for "Oakland Acura" for additional info. I hope you have found something good, best of luck. :29:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MDX Touring Package $38,300
Dealer Documentation Fee $45.00
Tax (Alameda County) $3163.46
License $303
Gov. Fee $5.00

This is the breakout. I think that that is reasonable and I told them that I was hestitant of putting down a deposit because of the negative comments I had heard about Oakland and he stated that that was in the past. Too bad the dealer ratings do not show dates.

Wonder if another dealer will match the price. Is demand really dropping in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
210 Posts
alluu said:
MDX Touring Package $38,300
Dealer Documentation Fee $45.00
Tax (Alameda County) $3163.46
License $303
Gov. Fee $5.00

This is the breakout. I think that that is reasonable and I told them that I was hestitant of putting down a deposit because of the negative comments I had heard about Oakland and he stated that that was in the past. Too bad the dealer ratings do not show dates.

Wonder if another dealer will match the price. Is demand really dropping in the Bay Area?
Seems demand and (prices) are dropping everywhere thru the winter and into spring. I would expect demand to start increasing again soon unless the economy takes a big hit with the war coming up.
Sorry to hear about that 8.25% sales tax. :eek: If you live in the boonies like me it is only 7.25%. But then you have to live 90-120 min. from civilization.
I contacted about 8 bay area and valley dealers starting in the summer of 02'. At that time only Niello, Ball, Hopkins, and Modesto were at MSRP no forced options for a preorder 03'. By October I had several other dealers offer msrp/no forced on a preorder and $500 off an 03 from Stevens creek for a red base on the lot, plus $3500 off an 02' from Bakersfield. Bakersfield had at the time 10 touring models (white and silver) loaded with DIO so their discount brought the price back to like msrp with a bunch of useless crap added on. For more info on Stevens creek do a search of my posts on worst dealership experiences ever.
Sounds like you are doing some good research upfront. I would ask Oakland for a Vin# ASAP, which is usually available as soon as production of the vehicle starts.
I would continue to search other dealers (I went to the Acura site, looked up dealers in the area, and when to the dealer sites to look up inventory), keep in mind flexibility in color and model and buying what the dealer has instock will usually get you the best price.
Again, Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my '03 MDX from Oakland Acura back in Dec 2002. I've read about bad exprience from customers that visited this dealership. However, mine was a pleasant one. Sure they did not give me a penny discount on the vehicle or add-on accessories, but overall they were pretty honest. I got my VIN a few weeks after putting a deposit, and the car came in on-time. So hopefully they've had an 'attitide adjustment'. I would not hesitate getting another vehicle from them (with discount this time, of course, due to the economy and everything else). Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just bought a MDX from Mike Harvey Acura. The rating on this site for this dealership was not good at all. The saleswoman I thought did a good job but I have a few chosen words for the manager. I think the price is coming down a little bit, but when I picked up my MDX last week. I asked the saleswoman is the MDX is still selling like hot cakes and she said their stocks are all presold thur April, and people are putting deposit down for May. I do not know if she's telling me the truth or not. By the way, I had to put a deposit down on the MDX Feb 1 and pick up the car March 2.

Good Luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tnguyenmdc said:
I bought my '03 MDX from Oakland Acura back in Dec 2002. I've read about bad exprience from customers that visited this dealership. However, mine was a pleasant one. Sure they did not give me a penny discount on the vehicle or add-on accessories, but overall they were pretty honest. I got my VIN a few weeks after putting a deposit, and the car came in on-time. So hopefully they've had an 'attitide adjustment'. I would not hesitate getting another vehicle from them (with discount this time, of course, due to the economy and everything else). Good luck with your purchase.
They also told me they are getting their act together. Who did you deal with? $500 discount does look good. And most dealers have told me that they don't have any available until May. But that is fine since I need to sell my Accord first.

·
Registered
476 Posts
alluu said:

I put in an order for a base model in December at $1250 under MSRP and any accessories at dealer cost at the local dealer (Prestige Acura). I took delivery about 10 weeks later. The dealer played games with the "dealer cost" terms of the deal. They insisted it meant the cost the parts department sold the parts to the sales department. I contend that dealer is not ambiguous-- it is the cost to the dealership. Sales department cost was about cost plus 20%, so we have a beef over about $175. I am not impressed with the sales department's attitude or service, but, a car is a car. It's a commodity item so $1250 under MSRP was a decent price. Frankly I have yet to find a sales department at an auto dealership where I didn't feel like I needed a shower when I left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts