Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often notice a "crunch" sound at the end of an engine start. It seems to happen more at cold starts. This is similar to a problem I had on a different vehicle/make, and that time they attributed it to a bad AC compressor. I took the 2016 mdx awd to the dealer who said it was normal. i don't think it should be normal.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I often notice a "crunch" sound at the end of an engine start. It seems to happen more at cold starts. This is similar to a problem I had on a different vehicle/make, and that time they attributed it to a bad AC compressor. I took the 2016 mdx awd to the dealer who said it was normal. i don't think it should be normal.

Has anyone experienced this?
If it's normal,then every car would do it. Check another car. Mine doesn't do it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine definitely does it! I keep forgetting to mention it when I take it in for scheduled service. I'll be sure to mention it next time and see what they say. The sound is almost like two metal gears grinding for a quick second.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Crunch sound after starting vehicle

That sound is the compressor clutch engaging. If you turn the climate control off before starting the engine you won't hear it. Hondas and Acuras have been making this sound for many years. Nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mine does it...not super loud but it makes a slight sound that isn't typical of my experience with other cars. I think it's normal too, probably something to do with the auto start/stop system.

·
Registered
503 Posts
They say "it's normal" to everything until a fix come out or enough ppl complain.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'm sure it's true in many cases that they just say it's normal to make you go away. On the other hand, vehicles are exponentially more complicated than 10 years ago so it's impractical to go into a complicated engineering discussion to explain why it works the way it does. Or maybe it is in fact just a poor design, but it is working as designed and it's not easily fixed, by the dealer or manufacturer. Also, most people never noticed half the stuff discussed on this board, so incentive is low.

Reactions: Stephan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts