Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've had my MDX, I constantly do web searches to find out what is new and what people are saying, problems et al. What is a little peeving is the condescending tone that "TRUE SUV" columnists and reviewers refer to the MDX and its' "ilk" as crossover vehicles, crossover from where? My last truly brand new car was a 1983 Subaru wagon with 4WD, other than technology improvements, what is the difference. It seems that unless you vehicle gets gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon (Dodge Durango) (Ford HUGE whatever), it does not stack up- The columnists refer to this vehicle as some sort of wussy suburbanite minivan with higher clearance and better traction. Maybe someone could explain the attitude. I actually read my manual, and it did mention that the vehicle was designed to travel mostly on pavement- If that is so, why all the ads a top ski lodges, and the pictures of the vehicle digging in the dirt Baja somewhere? Could someone shed a little light, can I take it on the beach or will that ruin the transmission? Am I allowed to get stuck in the mud? Does anyone have a limitation suggestion on my new super expensive wussy good gas mileage Crossover vehicle? thanks Caroline PS - I just got over the 500K mark, maybe now I can give it some gas! :( :rolleyes:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since I just got my 2003, I looked thru the pile of Car and Driver and Motor Trend that I had in my closet. Both magazines called MDX very capable off-roader and mentioned that they had a hard time trying to get it stuck. As a matter of fact MDX was a part of a few road (I should say off-road) comparisons with the others SUV and did very well.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey all,

Don't take it too personally. The MDX, along with RX300, XC90, etc, are among the new trend toward on-road comfort. The MDX is good in off-roading (first hand experience with GatorGreg), relative to it's competition. It is capable in mild off-road terrain. However, it is more of an ALL-SEASON SUV, instead of ALL-TERRAIN. It performs great in snow (from what i have heard). Now with VSA, it will do even better in rain too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I think the term crossover means that they are SUV's based on a car or minivan, not a truck as were prior SUV's.

While the crossover SUV's are capable of off road use if I were considering serious off road duty I would have went with a truck based SUV. The crossovers give much better highway ride and handling and the highway is where most of us go most of the time with our MDX.

The term crossover doesn't bother me as much as using "truck" to describe the MDX. My last vehicle was a truck and believe me, the MDX is not a truck.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
It's all about labels. Just like some folks have a need to label people, some feel a need to fiercely label vehicles, their's and others'.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I ussually rip off labels, I just dont like them. :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
The "cross" terminology doesn't bother me one bit. We put labels on things as a short-hand for their description. In the case of the MDX, there are some off-road activities it works well at, and some it can't do at all. I just saw footage of an H2 climbing a 16 inch vertical wall. Wow! No need to use any qualifying phrases when describing the H2 as an off-road vehicle. The MDX just can't do that. I'm certainly not asking it too; to me, the operative word in "16 inch wall" is wall.

As far as the t-word (truck), I think it was Car & Driver in their description of one of the Subaru models where they said something like, "Anything this tall is a truck. Anything shorter isn't." By that definition, the MDX is the truck that rides like a car. :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Those ADs are HUGE LIE!!!

Have you seen those suv on top of gaint rock?
And if you think about it.. without a heli. lifting the car to the top, no way can a "car" of any kind can go up to it...

AD is tool to fool people to buy stuff that is not as good as the AD is.. they always make the item they are selling look better then what it is. If you have time.. look on TV, there's a AD about Izuzu or some SUV, it started by asking which car have the best rating for crash test, which car have the best side impact rating for crash test..etc and then if you pay attention.. it never said the car they sell is the one..cause it isn't! But if you didn't pay much attention.. you would thought that it is the best..which is big lie..
As to MDX going off road.. I did try it.. was fun.
But no way I am gonna take my MDX to Utah and try to go up on those gaint rock!
I'll just stay with some "mid size" stone, mud, snow, and keep my butt in the city...:1:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
"capabilities/liabilities/freakish stunts"

I too saw that show ( I think it was Car and Driver TV on TNN, narrated/hosted by Jim Scoutten, the man with an ashtray for a larynx and <a href="http://www.jimscoutten.com/index.html"> American's best known Car and Gun Guy</a> ?!?!!

I've seen the AM General folks on a few interviews regarding the H2 and I can't help but wonder how they came up with their list of "must haves" for the places the H2 ought to handle that the Hummer/H1 has mastered.

While I suppose that the climbing of a 16 inch wall thing is something of an example of ruggedness/capabilities, I can't help but think NO ONE will ever do that.

If you missed the segment, here's what they do. From a dead stop the H2 rolls up to a TRUE 90° wall. The engine is reved just a tad and the front wheel is literally HOISTING itself up the FACE of the wall. They did this at a slight angle, so that the left wheel went first, and the right wheel was 'hangin' free in mid air for a fraction of a second. They proceed to roll forward until the rear wheels contact the wall. Again the revs are increased slightly and the REAR is yanked up to the next level.

Truly one of the most freakish displays of automotive "testing" I've ever seen demonstrated.

Sort of reminds me of BMX 'trials' competition where contestants 'pogo' up a picnic table, onto the benches up to the top and down the other bench.

I kinda consider both of these almost LIABILITIES, as knowing that SOMEBODY can do it may lead the unskilled/unwise to attempt these things without proper preparation/training.

I'm sure ER docs have long lists of injuries suffered by BMXers trying to emulate a pro, and off-road mechanics probably suspect more than a few busted parts were destroyed trying to match the tricks of some monster-truck wannabe...
jonnygoodboy said:
... I just saw footage of an H2 climbing a 16 inch vertical wall. Wow! No need to use any qualifying phrases when describing the H2 as an off-road vehicle. The MDX just can't do that. I'm certainly not asking it too; to me, the operative word in "16 inch wall" is wall.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hey all,

I am not too impressed with the 16" wall. Why? If you have enough approach angle (via removing the front bumper), you can go up this wall too. A LOW range may help. Of course, grippy tires would help too.

If you look closely at the H2, you will see a few things that are not "off-road oriented". Check the link below and then see my comments on the pics:

http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?threadid=243&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
jonnygoodboy said:

As far as the t-word (truck), I think it was Car & Driver in their description of one of the Subaru models where they said something like, "Anything this tall is a truck. Anything shorter isn't." By that definition, the MDX is the truck that rides like a car. :)
Then I wonder what Car & Driver calls a Minivan?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Truck, car or SUV!! I think all that want to have a Hummer to go up a mountain in Utah, that is fine, but I thought the idea was to get out and climb the mountain? I just can't stand that condescending Martha Stewart sounding "crossover" term. it is OK for the EXterra to be advertised as a tri-pod, but don't dare call it a crossover, sort sounds like ( not to offend anyone) cross dresser.
I think a PAC should be formed right away, or a not for profit corporation to fight against discriminatory remarks regarding the MDX, and I will be the first to file for government grants, email if anyone wants to be on the board of directors (only board members can collect salaries!) Caroline :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts