Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost time to replace my brake rotors. I'm looking into replacing them with cross drilled & slotted rotors. I found these so far.

Has anyone have good experience with any of these brands

iRotors
$389.99 all four with brake pads
Acura MDX [07-08] Cross Drill Slot Front & Rear Brake Rotors & Pads

Brake Performance
Front pair - $144
Rear pair - $155
Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

Roto-Tech
Front pair - $359.90
Rear pair -$297.90
RotoTech Slotted Rotors, Roto-Tech Drilled Rotors, Roto Tech Brake Discs

SP Performance
Front pair - $229
Rear pair - $199
SP Performance Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors (Pair) for your 2007 ACURA MDX - TopBrakes.com - Your source for Rotors

SP Performance (zinc)
Front pair - $269
Rear pair - $239
SP Performance Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors - Zinc Plated (Pair) for your 2007 ACURA MDX - TopBrakes.com - Your source for Rotors

Street Max
Front pair - $234
Rear pair - $181
StreetMax Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors (Pair) for your 2007 ACURA MDX - TopBrakes.com - Your source for Rotors

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, which one did you end up going with and how do you like them over the stocks? I am ready to replace the brakes too and want to get something better than stocks. thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, which one did you end up going with and how do you like them over the stocks? I am ready to replace the brakes too and want to get something better than stocks. thanks!

I went with;

Brake Performance Front pair -$144 Rear pair -$155 Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

So far I like them. Feels similar to stock breaks. Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
569 Posts
tech, how have these rotors held up? I just installed them on my 07 MDX.

Thanks

·
Registered
652 Posts
The recommendation of drilled is for more consistant brake pedal force at the expense of less mass and more susceptability to warping. Slotted have very insignificant gain at the expense of wearing brake pads out 20% faster. And all this for an MDX, how often do you race your SUV?

·
Registered
432 Posts
feed back after 2 years?

I went with;

Brake Performance Front pair -$144 Rear pair -$155 Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

So far I like them. Feels similar to stock breaks. Which is a good thing.
My front rotors were turned once around 63k miles. She now has 109k miles.Today, mechanic says pads are still thick, rotors still good for another reusrfacing and that will eliminate the steering wheel vibrations. Reading about brakes in this forum convinced me to upgrade rotors.
I'd like to buy premium slotted rotors by Brake Performance due to its warranty.
So, any feedback after two years of use? Thanks in advance.

Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors $207/pair + free semi-metallic pads, shipped.
Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why bother with the cost of slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors for an MDX? Any "advantages" are negligible in normal driving conditions and they really come down to looks. Buy a set of cheap blank rotors and be done with it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Why bother with the cost of slotted and drilled/dimpled rotors for an MDX? Any "advantages" are negligible in normal driving conditions and they really come down to looks. Buy a set of cheap blank rotors and be done with it.
Looks just an added bonus.:cool: I am tired of my warped honda rotors. The promo right now is $196.31 + tax for a pair w/ free pads. I can afford that. Oh yeah, I don't want to double my labor installing cheap ones. Same thing with turning my current ones. There's a big chance I'll experience my current issue.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Looks just an added bonus.:cool: I am tired of my warped honda rotors. The promo right now is $196.31 + tax for a pair w/ free pads. I can afford that. Oh yeah, I don't want to double my labor installing cheap ones. Same thing with turning my current ones. There's a big chance I'll experience my current issue.
I agree with the prior poster...there's no reason these dimpled/slotted rotors would not warp any less than a set of quality rotors. If anything, slotted rotors tend to wear pads at a quicker rate and they also have less strength than a solid rotor. They're great in racing situations where you don't care about wear but I just don't find them appealing for the average driver. In addition, semi-metallic pads would wear extremely fast with these rotors. For less money you can buy a set of Akebono Carbon pads and quality premium rotors that will likely do just as good of a job.

You might also want to read that warranty. Here's a fun fact from their warranty: "Warped or cracked rotors must be sent back to Brake Performance before a replacement set will be sent out to the customer." Well that sounds like fun!

Seriously though...you're talking about some brake maintenance every 50k-60k miles? That's not bad in the scheme of things. The folks burning their pads/rotors every 20k-30k are the ones that have a complaint. Your results are at or above average for most any car.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
there's no reason these dimpled/slotted rotors would not warp any less than a set of quality rotors.
:29:

If anything, slotted rotors tend to wear pads at a quicker rate and they also have less strength than a solid rotor.
:28: Not true.

In my experience with numerous sets of rotors - drilled, slotted, and solid-faced - spread over several cars on which I kept detailed records, the slotted rotors did not wear pads any faster than the drilled or solid-faced rotors. That's just a rumor spread mostly by people who falsely make claims of the slots "shaving" the pads, when in fact the surface of the rotor alongside the slots is absolutely flat so it just doesn't happen.

OTOH there were no actual benefits to the slotted (or drilled) rotors either; they didn't take longer to warp, and when I was using them on the racetrack, they didn't take longer to crack. So unless you're doing it for looks, there's no reason to pay more for slotted or drilled rotors.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Well in the BMW circles I ran, there wasn't anything good said about the reliability of slotted discs. Complaints of going through pads nearly twice as fast wasn't uncommon. Whether it's true or not...doesn't really matter since there's no reason to run those rotors anyway. Unless someone just wants to find out if they'll chew the pads up quicker!

·
Registered
274 Posts
OTOH there were no actual benefits to the slotted (or drilled) rotors either; they didn't take longer to warp, and when I was using them on the racetrack, they didn't take longer to crack. So unless you're doing it for looks, there's no reason to pay more for slotted or drilled rotors.
true that! :29:

·
Registered
35 Posts
bumping this back up.

we have oem rotors and pad on our 2010. the rotors have warped a second time and the dealer has told us they cannot be machined again. i am from canada and they quoted me $800 for oem pads (20% remaining) and rotors plus fluid flush.

i noticed that this thread focused on the brakemotive brand, but their website is not in service and only points to an ebay page. they do not offer anything that is not cross drilled which is something i hope to avoid. i don't have the link in front of me at the moment but on the infiniti g35 message board there are pics of someone's stoptech rotor that had cracked and split right through the holes on their family sedan.

is there a cheaper aftermarket solution to oem? i'm tires of the constant warping. our mdx is often fully loaded with passengers or cargo and drive in hilly terrain and lots of heavy traffic, so warpage and wear are a constant concern.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Drilled rotors offer absolutely no advantages over solid rotors. People seem to think that they are race-inspired but show me an actual race car with drilled rotors. They do not offer more consistent brake pressure, nor do they offer any cooling properties. However, they can cause premature cracking if too much material has been removed. The only reason slotted rotors wear the pads out faster is because the slots provide an escape for the gases building in between the surface of the rotor and the brake pads. This means that you have better contact between the two, giving you additional stopping power. The pads wearing out faster is an indicator that they work more effectively with slotted rotors. The claim that the slots shave more material off the pads is absurd. The edges are not raised in any way. All they do is provide an outlet for the gases that are formed when the brake pads heat up. It has nothing to do with controlling the temperature of the brake system. It's just venting the gases on the surface of the brake pads to allow them more consistent contact with the rotor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
small update.

so i went ahead and ordered from ebay for the brakemotive stuff for front/rear everything:

https://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=401058967769&alt=web&globalID=EBAY-US&referrer=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/enull.m43.l3160/7?euid=null&bu=43191393745&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

it's been a few weeks (because i'm in canada), and finally something arrived... but it was only half the shipment that came in :(

so far i have 2 rear rotors, 1 set of rear brake pads (L/R)... and TWO sets of front brake pads?!?

instructions say powerstop:

so... gotta wait for the front rotors to show up. hopefully.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts