Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a gag. I am planning on cooking a pot roast for my girlfriend. I hope to have it ready by dinner on Saturday. Problem is i need to travel quite a bit to her. I am hoping i can cook a pot roast on low in a slow cooker that plugs into my MDX’s console plug. I plan to keep the car running while crockpot going. Anyone think that this will be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. Just a crockpot slow cooker to make a pork roast. It would be in the back on the floor secured items on each side to keep it from moving and lid with duck tape. I am being serious. It will cook on low. I just dont want to be stranded if it eats up too much battery.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Can you find an inverter to push enough power to the crock?

I've used my MDX to store a crock overnight in the cold because of lack of room in the fridge and also the crock being too hot to put in the fridge.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
You have me thinking!! Do they sell a tiny mini chiller to store drink or beer that can be hooked up to a cigarette lighter in the back?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The MDX's with Rear entertainment come with a power socket (regular 2 pin wall one) and is rated at 100w max I think.

Just check what is the power rating on crockpot and see if that matches with the maximum safe draw from the Aux port.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Much easier just to cook at home and chill or freeze in Ziploc and put on ice in a cooler for the trip. It only take a few minutes to reheat in the microwave or 20-30 mins in the oven. The MDX might have the watts for the 12v or 110v plug for the Ent system; but, I don't think it has the amps for a slow cooker?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’ll just echo what everyone has said, that’s to check the draw from the crockpot. I wouldn’t think it would be too bad on low, but I’m no expert. (BBQ for life!)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
A quick google search indicates a crock pot pulls approximately 250 Watts... I believe this is too much for the standard aux power jacks in most vehicles (MDX included).

You'd need to run 10ga wire (or larger) from the battery to safely handle that load.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
695 Posts
You have me thinking!! Do they sell a tiny mini chiller to store drink or beer that can be hooked up to a cigarette lighter in the back?

Yes...

·
Registered
268 Posts
A quick google search indicates a crock pot pulls approximately 250 Watts... I believe this is too much for the standard aux power jacks in most vehicles (MDX included).

You'd need to run 10ga wire (or larger) from the battery to safely handle that load.
But does that mention if it's on high or low? There SHOULD be some variance, but I couldn't tell you exactly

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all. It is a Hamilton Beach one. I checked specs and it pulls 190W. Clearly over the 100W max stated. Oh well. Thanks for your suggestions. As for the taking her out to dinner suggestion. Lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts