Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Another mystery sound coming from my mdx recently is a loud creaking sound when shifting from P to D. Anyone have a similar issue and what was the resolution? Thanks!

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
379 Posts
So this might be a stretch w/o sitting in the car and hearing the actual sound, but sometimes the brakes and rotors can cause some creaking from moving from P to D and the pads grip the rotors as they begin to turn upon moving into D. Best way I can recommend to rule that out is put your car in an open area, ever ever ever so slightly push the brake pedal in to allow for the tranny to shift from P to D. Because of the light press on the brake pedal, the car should start rolling forward. See if the creaking still exists when doing that.

Again, that’s probably too simple, but worth a shot to rule out creaky rotors/pads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. Honestly though sometimes it just makes me wonder if it's the transmission because the sound comes when shifting so I don't release the break at any point. But again I don't think that a tranny should be making creaking sounds.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's a good idea. Honestly though sometimes it just makes me wonder if it's the transmission because the sound comes when shifting so I don't release the break at any point. But again I don't think that a tranny should be making creaking sounds.
Try shifting from park to drive and letting your foot off the brake before it actually engages the transmission. I am betting it is the vehicle staining against the brakes which is normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is also making a creak noise when shifting from park to reverse, with foot on brake and parking brake engaged. We park on a hill with the front end higher. It is in for service currently and I mentioned this as one of the issues that needs to be looked at. We'll see what they find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is also making a creak noise when shifting from park to reverse, with foot on brake and parking brake engaged. We park on a hill with the front end higher. It is in for service currently and I mentioned this as one of the issues that needs to be looked at. We'll see what they find.
Keep us posted. I'm curious to find out myself and have my b16 service coming up on Monday. I'll mention it to them then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep us posted. I'm curious to find out myself and have my b16 service coming up on Monday. I'll mention it to them then.
I'm still waiting for my vehicle to come back. It had another issue which has taken quite some time to track down. Curious if they determined the cause of your creak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still waiting for my vehicle to come back. It had another issue which has taken quite some time to track down. Curious if they determined the cause of your creak.
Tierods. They needed to torque it go spec. But 16k mils and the tierods are loose? How? It's annoying af.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-spec (Apex Blue Pearl)
14 Posts
My 22 Aspec also makes this loud creaking noise from park to reverse and its annoying as hell to me. It doesnt sound good but everything is working great with having owned it for over a year with 18k+. Let me know what they say please.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 22 Aspec also makes this loud creaking noise from park to reverse and its annoying as hell to me. It doesnt sound good but everything is working great with having owned it for over a year with 18k+. Let me know what they say please.
It may be awhile before I hear anything. They broke something while working on my vehicle and the replacement part is backordered. No idea when I'm getting it back. Could be a month or more.

·
Registered
'19 Sport Hybrid (Adv)
50 Posts
Conjures bad memories from my 1995 Chrysler Cirrus. Everytime I shifted from P to D it made that creaking/ratcheting noise. Then I heard it on all the other Chryslers of that era.

That was my first and last Chrysler. Never heard such noise again in all other cars I've owned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts