Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am not new here - had another account but can't seem to find my damn login.
I recently purchased a 2014 MDX Elite with 27K KM. Car looks spankingly brand new - inside and out.
Two days ago, I noticed a hairline crack on my windshield - middle top- where the rear view mirror is. Now the hairline crack has stretched to under the rearview mirror. No rock/stone chips (can't be 100% certain but no evidence of it). I called Speedy Auto Glass here in Montreal and they want $900 to replace the windshield. I have not called my insurance, as I just got the damn insurance as well. We all know how these insurance companies work. If you have a claim, your rates go up.
It seems that some people has this problem with their 2014 MDX as well as RDX models (quick Google search). I wanted to ask if anyone can say if the dealership will cover it or would I have to pay out of my pockets.
If this is a common problem, then most likely, it will occur again. I have extended warranty with the car as well. Any likelyhood that dealer will cover?
I checked Acura's website but there is no recall for the windshields.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
If you don´t see a rock chip or the crack comes directly from the windshield edges go to ACURA! those are signs of Chassis Stress failure and it should be covered by warranty under the claim of bad windshield installation at the factory.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I think the first thing to do is to figure out whether that's the original windshield. It may be one that was just replaced, perhaps with an aftermarket one, and the install done improperly. Obviously Acura isn't going to replace under warranty an aftermarket windshield installed by another company.

If it's the original windshield that had stress on it due to not being installed correctly at the factory it seems that it would cracked long ago.

My 2014 windshield is original and after multiple coast to coast trips in it it's gotten a few whacks with rocks - one that took a chip out of it - but there are no cracks.

If you determine it's a factory windshield you can always take it to Acura and see what they have to say about doing a warranty replacement - especially if they've seen others with identical cracks and know the cause to be due to a build issue - and are open and honest about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my windshield replaced soon after buying the car. Highway rock chip slowly developed into horizontal crack from A-pillar to rearview over a period of few weeks. I had acura watch plus, and safelite said only oem glass is available for AWP. My Insurance covered the windshield replacement as a no fault claim. Invoice was around $1500.

The replacement has been fine for last 7/8 months.

·
Registered
151 Posts
With these sensors and cameras it may be worth just paying the deductible and saving the up front $1500 or so

Yeah rates may go up but you'll have to balance that out over time and determine what's best for you

Go to local safelite and get a free estimate ... they do stellar work that's backed by a warranty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts