Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to an acura dealer for a regular oil change and was told tha the fee was $34.95. In the past, it was $24.95 and was told that there was a recent increase in the filter cost and a new fee for disposil of oil. Has anyone else heard about an increase in the cost of a routine oil change? And out of curiosity How much is the cost of routine oil changes at your local dealer? I was surprised to hear this.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Rallye is a lot

I purchased fro MRallye in LI and they charge $34.95.

But I always seem to get a coupon for 24.95 just wehn I need it.

Have one righ tnow if you need it I can send it to you. Just had a 15,000 mile done at Valley STrem Acura ($200 less than Rallye and did more).

Let me know if you know of any cheaper place.

Mush

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Rallye is a lot

Mushman said:
I purchased fro MRallye in LI and they charge $34.95.

But I always seem to get a coupon for 24.95 just wehn I need it.

Have one righ tnow if you need it I can send it to you. Just had a 15,000 mile done at Valley STrem Acura ($200 less than Rallye and did more).

Let me know if you know of any cheaper place.

Mush
The service manager applied a credit as if I had a coupon, and I think I paid $27.95. With tax almost thirty. I would really mind but I always throw $5 tip to the tech when I go in. I change at 3000 miles and 3 months and was hoping to stay at the $24.95 + $5 Tip totalling $30 thirty something. Now it would be over $40 with increase, and go to 3000 miles in a couple of months.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I have no idea why they are raising the price, but don't stop throwing the tech a 5 spot. You have no idea how far that goes with the shop to make you be remembered by the technicians for your gratitude!

Tips in the shop do work, just like any business :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am normally a pretty good tipper, but I never heard or thought of tipping an auto service tech. Would be interested in the experiences and opinions of others on this. Well I would do it for benefit of "extra" care, I do wonder a bit about the whoel thing of having to "pay" extra for what you thought you already paid for. Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have yet to experience an Acura dealership for service. Previous experience with dealers it seems limits how close you can get to the actual mechanic that works on your car.
Don't they usually use the lesser experienced or lesser trained to do routine maintenance like oil changes, and the 'techs' for more involved warranty work?

I suppose if I had a working dialogue with a particular mech or tech, and I found he did a good job on my last visit, I might be tempted to tip him 'to keep up the good work'.
I don't know. It's ok, I just never thought about it really. I've had issues in the past usually with service mgrs. and charges, not because of poor work being performed.
Only one issue with a Firestone station mechanic who replaced power steering hoses under an extended warranty. A great lesson to avoid after-market warranties. The actual job was ok, but he left enough spilt fluid all over the back of the engine and transaxle to start a fire. It didn't, but I almost did when I went back the next day. I got my deductible refunded and lots of apologies but made sure everyone in shouting distance was warned about this service center. Still makes my blood boil when I think about it.....I doubt tipping that idiot would have done any good.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wait4mdx said:
I am normally a pretty good tipper, but I never heard or thought of tipping an auto service tech. Would be interested in the experiences and opinions of others on this. Well I would do it for benefit of "extra" care, I do wonder a bit about the whoel thing of having to "pay" extra for what you thought you already paid for. Thoughts?
Comming from a family in the auto busines and being an ex-mechanic, tipping makes all the difference in the world. Once they get to know you, the quality of service is much better, the time frame of the work is much faster. If you need to get something done quickly they do it no problem with a history of tipping. Also if you drop your car off and don't actually see the mechanic work on the car tipping is even more important I've seen alot of little things done to vehicles that the average consumer wouldn't even realize until months later. Everything from a scratch to a pinhole in your tire to a slice in a belt and I could go on and on. There are so many things the mechanics could do and the service managers and shop owner don't even realize. Tipping does make a difference. It should be done upfront prior to work being done. If you tip after the damage may already be done. I've worked at dealers and individual shops and it makes a big difference. Once you leave the mechanics sum you up and make lots of comments. Good relationship with the actual mechanic makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts