Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what i have read there is a TSB for the 2016 MDX that fixes things for at least some people.

My 2017 is driving me nuts. The shift between 1-2 and 2-3 is almost always delayed and then harsh. I don't feel confident when pulling out of places. It wasn't like this when i test drove.

What are other people doing to fix or manage it? I was told by my dealer that there is no TSB for the 2017.

I love the MDX except for this. I regret my purchase a few times a week.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
There is nothing you can do except live with it for now until there is a TSB Update that covers your model. Have you tried running it on Sport mode all the time? Seemed to help some members.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Man it sucks to have something like that going on, in a brand new car....

Did you know about these issues before pulling the plug? or just went along due to the successful Test drive prior to the purchase?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I knew some people had issues but it was fine for others. I test drove and although the transmission was different feeling (lots of gears to go through), the issues i am having now were not there.

I wonder how much of a hit i would take if i traded it in for a sport hybrid.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I would wait though that 7 DCT is brand new and un-proven by daily drivers... Perhaps at least a year until several owner reports pop up.

·
Registered
499 Posts
My wife had a 2017 MDX loaner when our 2014 was in for a TRABSMISSION TSB and she said the 2017 transmission felt great to her. We even thought about trading to a 2017, but the TSB helped our 2014 a lot, not as rubbery and wandering. 2014 better now, but still typical Honda crappy transmission. This our 4th MDX and 6th Honda, however, to us the MDX is still the best SUV for the money out there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How many miles does op have on the car so far? The car will eventually learn and become smoother over time. Be relatively gentle when you are going from stop to start, it will be okay.

It is definitely not perfect and it is sad for Acura to go with this transmission. I believe it is due to towing capability and fuel economy. My 07 TSX before , which was manufactured in Japan, was butter smooth. The only thing it needed was V6 and SH-AWD. So I still have confident in Honda's in-house transmission

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles does op have on the car so far? The car will eventually learn and become smoother over time. Be relatively gentle when you are going from stop to start, it will be okay.

It is definitely not perfect and it is sad for Acura to go with this transmission. I believe it is due to towing capability and fuel economy. My 07 TSX before , which was manufactured in Japan, was butter smooth. The only thing it needed was V6 and SH-AWD. So I still have confident in Honda's in-house transmission
I only have about 600 miles right now. Any idea about how many miles it takes to learn?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got a 2017 AWD w/Tech, Put 20 miles driving back from the dealer. I can feel some unsmooth gear change in low speed, also the car seems to be hesitating to move out of stationary. Hope it will be better after some more driving.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The default shifting logic may be to blame. As you drive the car the adaption logic will take over and you may be satisfied with the way it shifts.

That and you will begin to get used to it.

I had a similar issue going from my 5AT in my Ridgeline to the 6AT paddle shift in my 2g X.

·
Registered
96 Posts
6300 miles on my '17. I only dislike the cold behavior of my 9spd. And by dislike I mean it shifts firmly and quick so it comes off as harsh. Otherwise it operates to my expectations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the original poster - have you tried running in normal mode ("D") rather Sequential ("S" - aka "Sport") mode?
My 2017 is super smooth in normal mode, very impressive. I'm keeping my older 5-speed 2008 MDX a bit longer, and when I hop back to the 2017, the whole thing is so quiet and smooth that it always impresses me.
I do like Sequential mode but not on slow surface streets, that's where it is a bit too aggressive with some of the lower gears. So if I ever drive in "S" mode on the freeway, once I get to the surface streets I put it back in "D".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sequential ("S" - aka "Sport") mode
For what it's worth, Sequential and Sport are two separate items.

Sequential (a second push of the D/S button) locks out the top few gears and holds shift points (plus a few other items).
Sport (selected via the IDS function) increases throttle response, alters steering feel (heavier) changes the transmission mapping slightly and delivers a bit more power to the outside wheels on SH-AWD models.

You can be in Drive + Sport and Sequential + Sport depending upon your needs and wants.

Remember that a flick of the paddles in Sequential puts you into full manual mode until you push the D/S button to return to standard Drive mode.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you use paddles in D it returns to non paddle mode if you stop using it for like 30 seconds or something.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Right! but I'm pretty sure it's not tied to a set time/duration, rather to the speed of the vehicle. Coasting after a paddle selection seems to return the automatic nature of the transmission. If you keep throttle pressure it appears to hold the selected gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As of lately, i have been driving some in each IDS mode so see if my transmission just needs some training. Some days it runs nice and smooth with shifting about were I would expect it. Other days it continues to have the delay shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. The drive mode doesn't seem to effect that.

Occasionally when first pushing the button for drive or reverse, I will hear a "clunk" that is audible from inside the vehicle with no windows open.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As of lately, i have been driving some in each IDS mode so see if my transmission just needs some training. Some days it runs nice and smooth with shifting about were I would expect it. Other days it continues to have the delay shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. The drive mode doesn't seem to effect that.

Occasionally when first pushing the button for drive or reverse, I will hear a "clunk" that is audible from inside the vehicle with no windows open.
For that clunk, which is likely a little drivetrain slop, are you completely stopped when the shift occurs?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts