Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed the coolant level in my 2014 MDX at MIN, I filled it up to MAX in Sep 2017 and drove around 1500 miles.

I don't think it is normal, what do you think? I checked the oil (also changed around 1500 miles back), it is full but I am not happy with the color or smell(no smell at all) . I have done quite a few oil changes on my other cars and I kind of know how used/burnt oil smells.

I am already dealing with VCM vibrations, and not prepared to deal with one more issue.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1. Synthetic oils usually do not have much odor, especially after only 1500 miles of use.

2. Some evaporation of coolant is normal, but what you describe would be excessive. Make sure that you let the vehicle sit at least 10 hours before checking level or adding fluid. Be sure the vehicle is on level ground for accurate readings.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How does oil colour or smell reflect poorly on Acura? If anything, it would be more indicative of something to do with the oil itself, not the vehicle. Or perhaps your Acura engine runs so well and has so little blow by that the oil is remaining cleaner than your other experiences with other vehicles.

Regardless, oil smell and colour can tell you absolutely nothing to do with the engine / oil performance. If you're worried about how the oil is performing in your engine, get a Used Oil Analysis (UOA).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not have suspected oil quality if not for coolant level drop. However after looking at youtube videos, I checked engine oil fill cap.... it looks perfect, no residue of any sort even though my commute is short in this cold weather. So, it makes me think coolant is not getting into the engine. I don't see any leaks, not sure where it is going. I filled it up to the MAX level, lets see if it drops again.

But one thing still bothers me is that MDX does emit a lot of smoke every time I start it. Not sure all MDXs are like that, my other v6 mini van wasn't this smokey.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The difference between min and max mark on the tank is hardly anything to worry about in 1500 miles and 4 months, especially when you consider that the tank level fluctuates with engine temp and even outside temp (not sure where you live but ambient temps in September and January is a big difference in most places).

Smoke at startup?? By smoke do you mean steam which is normal byproduct of IC engines? If it's really smoke then a pint of coolant is the least of your worries. The fact that you say your mini van also 'smoked' leads me to believe its normal steam.

Stop smelling your oil, its a useless data point. Send a sample to blackstone if you want to see how everything is going inside.

·
Registered
414 Posts
And, a used oil analysis will tell you if there's coolant in your oil and you'll know one way or the other if coolant is entering the oil.

Coolant in oil can cause a fair amount of white exhaust, so maybe for peace of mind, get the UOA.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
A cooling system pressure test will generally reveal if there's a leak in a head gasket causing coolant to get into the oil or a leak in another gasket causing the coolant to go elsewhere.

'Smoke' is usually water vapor. This is usually easily determined by just smelling that smoke/vapor and see that the vapor is condensing into water. dripping from the tailpipe. This'll appear differently depending on the temperature and other weather conditions outside. Usually other similar vehicles will emit about the same in the same conditions - i.e. on a cold morning you see this 'smoke' (actually vapor) from many vehicles. This vapor is white. If you're seeing a cloud that darker then it could be a different issue including a failure in an emission component.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts