Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just did this on my 2015 SH-AWD along with TB, WP etc, etc. replacement yesterday at 95,173 miles (pre-emptive maintenance). Nothing special, generally the same procedure as any other Honda/Acura vehicles. Sitting next to your FR tire removed, engine block drain is located a few inches left & up from oil filter. Then the radiator drain. Measured at about 1-2/3 gal, minimal amount was spilled. Use a very large container so not to spill too much. I had collection of clear tubing, but non fit, just let it drained to large container below.

I was unable to release drain plug, removed whole thing, drained more than a gallon from engine block drain alone. Drained blue coolant looked very clean, made me to think coolant had been replaced some time ago, didn't bother with flushing with distilled water. Coolant capacity is 1.67gal. Use Acura Type II pre-mixed coolant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I found the engine block coolant drain bolt. Do you recall what you have to remove to get at the radiator drain valve?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I cursed a lot trying to find and remove radiator drain petcock, you'll have to remove the large plastic apron. It was a real b***h even after removing the plastic cover. I almost stripped the engine block drain.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I cursed a lot trying to find and remove radiator drain petcock, you'll have to remove the large plastic apron. It was a real b***h even after removing the plastic cover. I almost stripped the engine block drain.
When you remove the water pump, doesn' tthe block drain anyway, so no need to remove the engine block drain? For those in cold climates, if you have that engine block drain bolt out, it's a good time to install a block heater. If it's the same as Hondas / Acuras of my past, the block heater replaces the engine block drain bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts