Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Ok I'll throw this out. I've done some measurements and it looks like when I open the back of my future X, the rear hatch will hit the top of my garage :mad: . So I've been thinking... most time's I'll just be reaching in to get some groceries and/or the likes.

Has Anybody thought of trying to make the rear window into a lift up "hatch"?

The reason I ask is because I noticed a picture of a crashed X (see below) :-(

If you look closely, The "window" seems to be simply glued on to the SUV. If we could somehow replace the glue with a gasket. If you get a tight enough seal, noise should not be a problem. I know a buddy that can drill holes in the window and mount a hinge/locking mechanism. I need to figure out a way to deal with the rear windshield wiper but I believe it can flip down out of the way. Since I don't currently own an MDX. Could some one confirm the "flip down". Also the defrost mechanism is an issue and (of course) the lifter shocks.

I doubt this can happen without major cost/customization, but I thought I'd throw it out there. To see what everyone thought

Thanks,

Paidtoomuch
(well haven't paid yet, but one is on order White/Tan 02 base)

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts
The windshield wiper does not fold out very far. Barely far enought to squeegee behind it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would venture to guess that in a future year, the MDX would have it that way.

I currently have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, with such a feature. The year before I bought it, the window didn't open (like current MDX). Then my year they offerred it as an option and now it is standard.

It all depends on the number of requests ACURA gets!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rear Window Hatch ???

Ergonomically speaking, I'm wondering if the Rear Hatch would need to be redesigned with a window that falls a little lower. Just standing next to my X and envisioning a window hatch "as is" made me feel like it would be cumbersome to open it and reach over into the cargo area for groceries. I'm about 5' 10"

Of course, I've never had an SUV with this feature so maybe that's the way they are. That is, just for real "light" loading and unloading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wife just got a new 2002 Santa Fe and has the same hatch style as the MDX. The window also opens seperately. Nice feature. Hopefully Acura will see fit to add this option in the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi paidtoomuch,
My suggestion to your problem (you can flush it down the toilet! I won't be hurt!!)

There is a handle on the inside of the hatch door (to pull it down to close) - from there, tie a string / chord to one of the other hooks in the cargo floor (child seat hooks, cargo net hooks etc etc). Just measure the string so that it stops before opening too much. Get the idea???

Advantages :
1. Your MDX is untouched
2. When you move to a different house, you won't even remember you had this problem.

You can decorate the string or put a fancy ribbon etc. etc.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Another suggestion (really my rule): Never open the hatch inside the garage. In my case, I have always fold the two side mirror before going into the garage so I have to stop anyway and using it for loading and unloading. :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
If we want Acura to modify the rear hatch window...

let's lobby for an electric "roll down window" ala the new Sequoia or any 4Runner. What keeps this from being a widely used set-up is that most SUVs windows are larger than the tailgate surface below them...but that's NOT the case with the MDX. The tailgate is large enough for the window to completely go down into it...and wouldn't that be cool? :p
Incidently, cmohan's suggestion about the rope limiting the upward travel of the X's tailgate is pretty darn clever! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rear Hatch

It is a common practice for auto manufacturers to purposely leave off certain desirable features or options. This is done so they can easily and cheaply make modifications on future model years and justify raising the MSRP.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems with small garages. We all knew that the MDX would be big but who would have thought about how much room the rear hatch would need to be fully opened?

I didn't realize how big my garage really is.

I can open the hatch without hitting anything.
I can stand behind the hatch and open it without getting pinned between the hatch and garage door.
I can open/close the garage door without hitting the hatch.
I don't have to fold my mirrors.
I can walk completely around the MDX.
I can open the driver's door to the second detent without hitting the CL next to it.
I can open the passenger's door to the first detent (once I put up shelves, there should be more room to open the door).

As far as putting an openable window in the rear hatch, I would think this would make it less rigid and more prone to rattling parts. When I bought the CL, I was told that the reason why it didn't have fold down rear seats was because it would be less rigid. Now that I have the MDX, lack of cargo space in the CL is a non-issue. Now I can go to Home Depot to buy shelves for the garage!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: If we want Acura to modify the rear hatch window...

Leader(in L.A.) said:
let's lobby for an electric "roll down window" ala the new Sequoia or any 4Runner. What keeps this from being a widely used set-up is that most SUVs windows are larger than the tailgate surface below them...but that's NOT the case with the MDX. The tailgate is large enough for the window to completely go down into it...and wouldn't that be cool? :p
Incidently, cmohan's suggestion about the rope limiting the upward travel of the X's tailgate is pretty darn clever! :cool:
This would be impossible. Acura designed the rear window to be more station wagon like, and less traditional SUV-like by steeply raking the rear window (which subsequently also eats into some cargo room and headroom for the 3rd row). As a result, there is no way that it will be able to roll down.

You can pretty much forget about retrofiting a rear hatch. There are simply too many factors to concern, with the most being structural integrity of the rear hatch. The glass is also not designed for such punishment and could be too thin to withstand the constant up and down flexing and slamming, not to mention the major complexities in mounting the struts and the rear defroster grid.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have to agree with drew, its impossible for their to be an electric roll down hatch with the mirror at such an angle.

btw, paidtoomuch i like your name, but i feel you have to buy the MDX before you can claim that miserable title:D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Another suggestion

Modifying the MDX hatch to prevent it from hitting the top of the garage is rather severe and costly solution that will likely create more problems than it is worth.:eek:

Another option, in addition to the one mentioned above by cmohan, is to attach some styrofoam padding to your garage in strategic locations. This will act as a buffer between the hatch of your MDX and the top of the garage when the hatch is opened.

My garage door is also too low when it is open, and this is the solution that I used. I also attached some styrofoam pieces to the garage wall, that create buffers for the front and rear doors (this is much easier than teaching a 4-year-old not to throw open the door when getting in and out). This solution may not be pretty, but it protects the hatch and the doors of my MDX from unnecessary damage really well.

Now, as long as my wife pays attention when parking and does not hit the right side of the garage door opening with the mirror again, there should be no garage-related damage to the MDX (I can dream, can't I?).:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts