Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on replacing shocks and considering replacing most of the steering/suspecion components. Difficiult time deciding on whether to replace lower controls arms. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I've been contemplating doing this for a couple of years. I know one member said replacing these was the best thing he could have done with the suspension.

·
Registered
805 Posts
While the transmission was out and the sub-frame was down, I did replace all shocks/struts with Monroe aftermarket ones.

I also replaced the lower control arm bushings (saw the same tear on the bushing as in your picture) and the ball joints with MOOG aftermarket ones.

The stabilizer links looked pretty bad and were cheap enough so I replaced both along with the sway bar bushing.

The outer tie rods were still good so I left them alone and only replaced the rubber boots.

I have to say it rides a lot better and with a luxury feeling again. The Monroe shocks are a lot softer than the original shocks, so stay away from them if you want to have a sport-car-like ride. I am an old man, so it suits me fine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While the transmission was out and the sub-frame was down, I did replace all shocks/struts with Monroe aftermarket ones.

I also replaced the lower control arm bushings (saw the same tear on the bushing as in your picture) and the ball joints with MOOG aftermarket ones.

The stabilizer links looked pretty bad and were cheap enough so I replaced both along with the sway bar bushing.

The outer tie rods were still good so I left them alone and only replaced the rubber boots.

I have to say it rides a lot better and with a luxury feeling again. The Monroe shocks are a lot softer than the original shocks, so stay away from them if you want to have a sport-car-like ride. I am an old man, so it suits me fine.
My outer tie rods are bad, same with stabilizer link so I putting in new there. I suspect this may be why my steering started to feel a little loosy goosy a couple of years ago.

I just priced the bushing and the ball joint on autozone and looks like $90 in parts. I checked ebay and they have a aftermarket set (probably made in china) for $130.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did this on a Honda Pilot which is the same part. I ended up just buying the entire control arm, it was only a little more expensive and all the bushings/ball joints are already pressed in. The entire job took maybe an hour.

I bought the Raybestos control arms on Amazon - these fit the Gen 1 MDX and are a great deal with free/Prime shipping:
R:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 507-1619 Professional Grade Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly: Automotive

L:
Amazon.com: Raybestos 507-1620 Professional Grade Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly: Automotive

·
Registered
19 Posts

I am thinking about replacing the control arms on my 2005 as well. It has 257,000 miles on it and both sides have something that looks like a split in the control arm bushing, so its time to replace before it fails. How is your car doing? How many miles have you put on your control arms? Are they holding up okay? The moog seems like the best thing on the market right now, but who knows?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts