Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had 2 years of flawlessly syncing the address book of my iphone with my MDX. Now after the latest iOS update, the address book won't sync. My Speed Dials are still there. The only number in the vehicle's address book is my own number. I have deleted the MDX bluetooth profile from my iphone and re-paired it. This was an exercise in futility. The attempt to pair the phone with the vehicle kept failing. Finally it worked. I could have deleted the iphone profile from the MDX but this would erase all my speed dials so I did not try this.

I still get messages from my iphone to the MDX display.

This is solely the fault of Apple. Tim Cook is in a downward spiral. The last update also killed my iphone battery.

Time to go back to Android? But I had lots of issues pairing my Galaxy to my MDXs.

On another note, Siri works great in the MDX for dialing contacts in my address book on my iphone. I am now forced to use this feature. It integrates well with the MDX system.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I still haven't seen a solid solution on various Apple forums other than hard resetting the iPhone (to be clear, backup on iTunes, reset the phone, setup as new, then restore the backup), deleting the pair off the car, and then re-pairing the phone after hard resetting it. But that's a lot of work to do for something that should just be working right off the bat (I say this sarcastically because bluetooth is ALWAYS an issue with iOS). Everyone else I've seen driving various different brands are all having issues except MAYBE Hyundai. It's also not just the phonebook not syncing, but also disconnects, has volume issues, and also it happens with various BT devices including headsets, speakers, and other accessories.

FWIW, I've ALWAYS had issues with Samsung Galaxy devices and vehicles. Not sure what was up with the Galaxy family (have had the S4-S6, work is offering an S8 soon, but I'm more tempted to just tell them to replace my S6 with a Pixel). So, I wouldn't necessarily count Samsung as being entirely representative of the Android family (Samsung is like a light version of Amazon when it comes to modifications to the launchers and OS, and commonly messes up a LOT of it during attempts to be "different"). I've had pretty good experiences with HTC, the Nexus, and Pixel lines. LG depends but is mostly fine. Haven't tried the other brands.

So yeah, I recommend backing up, wiping it out, setting up as new, and then restoring. iOS 11 is a broken piece of junk.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will never be fixed by Acura. Their HandsFreeLink was designed to work with the older Apple iOS. I wonder if Apple cares enough to fix this? Somehow I think not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Spoke to tech support at HandsFreeLink. They are aware of the problem and it affects hundreds of thousands of Acura and Honda owners. Supposedly, Apple is working on a fix and it will be out soon.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Wonderful. I hope Apple is actually fixing and Honda isn't just passing the baton again by saying someone else is doing the fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad it's not me

I found this thread and forum in a desperate search to figure out why my iphone contacts won't synch to my '17 MDX (fwiw, I've only owned this vehicle for a few weeks and am still learning the features, so I initially suspected it was user error). Only a handful of the contacts synch. I tried deleting the phone and re-pairing it and that worked, although I had to reset all my speed dials and voice tags. Alas, the solution only lasted until I took the phone out of the car. The next time I got in the car, only the same handful of contacts were synchronized.

Another problem I seem to be having is that when my phone is physically connected through one of the USB inputs and I try to use HFL to call one of my speed dials by voice tag, the system "flips" from HFL to Siri, which then does not recognize the voice tag. Am I doing something wrong? Please help this MDX newbie.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
On Azine, people are reporting that if you remove the pictures from the contacts, you will no longer have this sync issue either.

As for the flip from HFL to Siri, I'm guessing it's because you're using the voice command button, which defaults to Siri when the iPhone is connected via USB. I'm not sure there's a way around this other than to unplug the usb cable. But I imagine Siri comprehends the English language much better than the voice command of the MDX lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
On Azine, people are reporting that if you remove the pictures from the contacts, you will no longer have this sync issue either.

As for the flip from HFL to Siri, I'm guessing it's because you're using the voice command button, which defaults to Siri when the iPhone is connected via USB. I'm not sure there's a way around this other than to unplug the usb cable. But I imagine Siri comprehends the English language much better than the voice command of the MDX lol

Thanks for that tip re: removing the pictures. I'll try that.

As for the flip to Siri, it's a nuisance because I don't always want to just access calling-related features. It's an issue when I want to use voice command to activate navigation.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Heh Acura's techline article says they know about it, but don't know how to fix it yet. Well, if the pictures removal works, I guess you guys found the fix before they did lol

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heh Acura's techline article says they know about it, but don't know how to fix it yet. Well, if the pictures removal works, I guess you guys found the fix before they did lol
I tried removing the pictures. Still doesn't work. If Acura knows about it, then it's a very poor business practice to advertise/include this feature as part of the Tech package without at least some kind of disclaimer.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Ah shucks that sucks. The problem here though is that they only make it compatible with whatever is out at the time of development. You need to find a brand that provides OTA updates (e.g. Lexus) to keep the infotainment current with the current generation of phones and their OS updates. Most manufacturers don't do this, so it's pretty much industry standard that with the speed at which our phones update, you will always experience some kind of problem within a year. The problems are more prevalent on the iPhones for some reason; almost every iOS update that comes around comes with bluetooth compatibility issues and this time it also came with phonebook issues (this is happening with many car manufacturers right now).

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah shucks that sucks. The problem here though is that they only make it compatible with whatever is out at the time of development. You need to find a brand that provides OTA updates (e.g. Lexus) to keep the infotainment current with the current generation of phones and their OS updates. Most manufacturers don't do this, so it's pretty much industry standard that with the speed at which our phones update, you will always experience some kind of problem within a year. The problems are more prevalent on the iPhones for some reason; almost every iOS update that comes around comes with bluetooth compatibility issues and this time it also came with phonebook issues (this is happening with many car manufacturers right now).
Tesla does OTA updates.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just bought an iphone X. In case anyone is wondering, still have the same issue. So not a hardware problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just got an iPhone X and was able to sync it to my 2015 MDX Advance with not problem (after I deleted my old iPhone from the MDX). I have tested it over the last couple of days and so far so good. My entire contact list appears to be stored properly and I have made a few calls from the car menu. I don't know if I can receive TEXT messages yet. Testing that now.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got an iPhone X and was able to sync it to my 2015 MDX Advance with not problem (after I deleted my old iPhone from the MDX). I have tested it over the last couple of days and so far so good. My entire contact list appears to be stored properly and I have made a few calls from the car menu. I don't know if I can receive TEXT messages yet. Testing that now.
Tried this. It worked for 5 minutes then back to not working. At least I was happy for 5 minutes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It has been working for 3 days now. I even used the Voice feature to make a call from the Phone book today. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quick Update: I tried again to remove the pictures. I had - erroneously - only initially removed the photos on the contacts I wanted to synch, and didn't remember to remove the photo affiliated with myself. Yesterday I removed ALL the photos, including the one on my own contact, and voila! All the contacts are now imported into the phone book. I've been in and out of the car several times now, turning the ignition off/on each time, and they're all still there.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick Update: I tried again to remove the pictures. I had - erroneously - only initially removed the photos on the contacts I wanted to synch, and didn't remember to remove the photo affiliated with myself. Yesterday I removed ALL the photos, including the one on my own contact, and voila! All the contacts are now imported into the phone book. I've been in and out of the car several times now, turning the ignition off/on each time, and they're all still there.
I need the photos. Helps me at work cocktail parties. Is that so and so. Check my address book at take a look at the photo. Helps when you have a 7,000 person address book.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need the photos. Helps me at work cocktail parties. Is that so and so. Check my address book at take a look at the photo. Helps when you have a 7,000 person address book.

Hmm...maybe there's a workaround for that, such as a shadow contacts app? Not that you should have to do that. The system should work as advertised. Though to be honest, I was so hung up on the principle of being able to import my contacts but now that they're all imported I realized that I probably don't need 99% of them for calling from the car, and the navigation through the phone book is so slow & clunky that it probably takes more time than it saves to call a contact unless it's set up as a speed dial...and I don't have nearly the number of contacts that you have.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts