Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealership yesterday because I was due for an oil change. I also previously got the letter about doing an oil consumption test for my 2013 MDX so I participated in it. I checked my oil levels this morning and it looks like they overfilled it, am I correct? Here are two readings.

Will that affect my consumption test?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
734 Posts
No problem, it's just that the accuracy of the test is in doubt. What is the work order says, 4.5 or 5 qts?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
They can write down whatever they want on a ticket. Good Luck
Just started this oil consumption bull
What Acura considers excessive oil consumption is ridiculous! The dealer states that one quart per 1000 miles is acceptable oil usage, mileage makes no difference. My vehicle holds 4.5 quarts per spec. So if my vehicle would happen to use this amount at 4000 miles we have have only a half quart left. The warning message appears way before that. So under Acura`s paremiters the owner should disregard the low oil warning. So if your not 4 quart low after 4000 miles you are all good ! Wow if the engine goes away it's all good because your within ACURA Oil Consumption Perimeters. DOES anyone else feel how ridiculous Acura`s statements are ?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They can write down whatever they want on a ticket. Good Luck
Just started this oil consumption bull
What Acura considers excessive oil consumption is ridiculous! The dealer states that one quart per 1000 miles is acceptable oil usage, mileage makes no difference. My vehicle holds 4.5 quarts per spec. So if my vehicle would happen to use this amount at 4000 miles we have have only a half quart left. The warning message appears way before that. So under Acura`s paremiters the owner should disregard the low oil warning. So if your not 4 quart low after 4000 miles you are all good ! Wow if the engine goes away it's all good because your within ACURA Oil Consumption Perimeters. DOES anyone else feel how ridiculous Acura`s statements are ?
You're misunderstanding or was explained the test procedure incorrectly. If it uses more than a quart in 1,000 miles, they document that and add back to full. AFAIK, 1qt/1,000 is the standard for every manufacturer. Some (mostly Euro brands) even go with 1qt/800 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oil Consumption Recall \ Test
Current Process - if your vehicle uses more then one quart per 1000 miles.
Acura considers this excessive oil consumption and will make repairs. Current vehicle millage, year of vehicle is not in the equation. Any mileage until Sept 2019.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Oil Consumption Recall \ Test
Current Process - if your vehicle uses more then one quart per 1000 miles.
Acura considers this excessive oil consumption and will make repairs. Current vehicle millage, year of vehicle is not in the equation. Any mileage until Sept 2019.
So what's confusing or troubling about this? It doesn't matter if your car has 10k miles or 210k miles...they will make the repair. Normally they would have no obligation to offer this repair if your car was beyond the 6 year/70k mile power train warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another reminder to watch out for the dealership overfilling the oil level.

Took my 2011 MDX (88,000 miles) in for the Excess Oil Consumption Test.
Part I of the test, the dealer changed oil and filter to start the test. Having read about dealers overfilling the oil, I made a point to check while at the dealership when I picked up the car. Unfortunately, I didn't wait 5 minutes, so it looked like the oil was right at the top hatch mark of the dipstick. When I got home, I realized my mistake by not waiting 5 minutes, and checked again after waiting. The actual oil level was over an eighth of an inch above the top hatch mark of the dipstick.
Immediately contacted the service rep to let him know I was concerned the test wouldn't be accurate due to the overfill, sending him photos as well. I asked if I needed to bring the car back to get the test done correctly. He said no, that they would take the overfill into account at the 1,000 mile check.
Went back for Part II of the test (1,000 mile check) and service rep said no problem with the car as it was only half a quart low, and further indicated that the excess oil test was complete - no need to return. I reminded him of the overfill and that the "half quart low" reading was not accurate and he said I could return for a second check at 2,000 miles. Dealer refilled accurately this time to the top hatch mark of the dipstick.
Returned for Part III of the test (2,000 mile check), with dipstick measuring about an eighth of an inch above the low hatch mark, and service rep says the car meets the standard for repair. He sent the paperwork to Acura and I've received word its been approved, so now waiting for parts to schedule the repair.

My appreciation to the forum members who noted the practice of overfilling by some dealerships.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another reminder to watch out for the dealership overfilling the oil level.

Took my 2011 MDX (88,000 miles) in for the Excess Oil Consumption Test.
Part I of the test, the dealer changed oil and filter to start the test. Having read about dealers overfilling the oil, I made a point to check while at the dealership when I picked up the car. Unfortunately, I didn't wait 5 minutes, so it looked like the oil was right at the top hatch mark of the dipstick. When I got home, I realized my mistake by not waiting 5 minutes, and checked again after waiting. The actual oil level was over an eighth of an inch above the top hatch mark of the dipstick.
Immediately contacted the service rep to let him know I was concerned the test wouldn't be accurate due to the overfill, sending him photos as well. I asked if I needed to bring the car back to get the test done correctly. He said no, that they would take the overfill into account at the 1,000 mile check.
Went back for Part II of the test (1,000 mile check) and service rep said no problem with the car as it was only half a quart low, and further indicated that the excess oil test was complete - no need to return. I reminded him of the overfill and that the "half quart low" reading was not accurate and he said I could return for a second check at 2,000 miles. Dealer refilled accurately this time to the top hatch mark of the dipstick.
Returned for Part III of the test (2,000 mile check), with dipstick measuring about an eighth of an inch above the low hatch mark, and service rep says the car meets the standard for repair. He sent the paperwork to Acura and I've received word its been approved, so now waiting for parts to schedule the repair.

My appreciation to the forum members who noted the practice of overfilling by some dealerships.
See, this is my concern too. That’s why I took photos the following morning of my dipstick. And people here told me they filled it at 5 quarts. I’m going to bring that up next time so they know I ain’t fvckin around. “Trust nobody” and “cover your @ss”.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep. Had the same overfill issue happen to me at a local Acura dealer so I started it over at another dealer. Not my second dealer is playing games. Originally said bring it every 1000 miles for 3 checks... On the 3rd check they started saying it was 5 checks. Going in for my 5th check today! It's lost 1-1.5qt every 1000 not to mention they even started charging me for oil!! The ability to have the service done ends Sept 1 so I'm starting to thing they're stalling people to get past that date. Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep. Had the same overfill issue happen to me at a local Acura dealer so I started it over at another dealer. Not my second dealer is playing games. Originally said bring it every 1000 miles for 3 checks... On the 3rd check they started saying it was 5 checks. Going in for my 5th check today! It's lost 1-1.5qt every 1000 not to mention they even started charging me for oil!! The ability to have the service done ends Sept 1 so I'm starting to thing they're stalling people to get past that date. Hoping for the best.
I've done the first oil consumption test reading. Apparently, the technician measured the reading from the "overfilled" line, not the max line. I checked before going in and it was about 1/3 qt down from the max line, but the technician noted and refilled 0.9 quart. I checked afterward, the technician refilled back to the overfilled line (the dot past the RCA). Also, I got confirmation from the service rep about the September 1st deadline, you must initiate the oil consumption test by this date. It is not the "completed by."

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts