Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer's Report loved the MDX, but said the emergency handling was poor because of a fishtailing problem. I just saw it.

I was on the fwy today with my 1 day old (or new) MB MDX when another one passed me going around 90 mph. Ahead of me he hit his brakes and attempted to change lanes to avoid plowing into a slower driver in his lane. His car then fishtailed violently about 6 times, just missing the center guard rail and adjacent lane. I could see the frame and body flex, then a chrome colored rod the width of the car fell out from the bottom of his MDX. He kept on driving, probably with wet pants!

Has anyone experienced this problem?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Obviously........

he does not know the limitations of his vehicle and driving skills. He could have been driving an NSX and if he did not know these 2 important things he would probably fishtailed also but maybe a little less due to the lower center of gravity. Even traction control or something similar will not save you if you past your vehicles limits and your own driving skills. I think everybody would probably agree to that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think you need stability control at that point - you need idiot insurance.

I can't think of a single ESC system that would compensate for an emergency maneuver at 90 MPH on a 4400LB vehicle. It would be pretty sweet if possible though. Next on the agenda would be autopilot.

CR's reviews were more realistic - the lack of stability control with respect to slower speeds and turns. People have remarked in other threads that the MDX's type of AWD prevents such a system from being implementable. Don't know if that's true though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Something fell out from under the car?

Maybe a suspension component failure, contributing to the handling behavior? Or maybe just something in the road that he kicked up? Considering that we have unpainted iron castings under there, it doesn't seem likely that anything chromed would have come from the MDX. What did it seem like to you?

I have tested the high speed stopping capabilities of this vehicle and also thought that it may get a little light in the butt. A bit of suspension / ABS tuning may be needed in a future model.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Different spin...

I'm reading this differently... that driver's experience, although scary and not real bright, sounds pretty positive. High speed maneuvering, losing the rear end and keeping the 4 wheels on the road without incident (other than scaring the s**t out of the people around him) is a pretty compelling argument for the abilities of the MDX.

Not that I'm going to go out and test the limits any time soon, it's still good to hear that our vehicle can pretty much stay put in emergency handling.

That must have been phenomenal to see.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Exactly

ScottyB said:
I'm reading this differently... that driver's experience, although scary and not real bright, sounds pretty positive. High speed maneuvering, losing the rear end and keeping the 4 wheels on the road without incident (other than scaring the s**t out of the people around him) is a pretty compelling argument for the abilities of the MDX.
Sadly, very, very few people are trained or skilled to properly handle a situation like that. The fact that this obvious moron, with limitted experience with the MDX (how long could he have owned it!) was able to maintain control is a tribute to its handling.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Montero

A2MDXer said:
At least the MDX did not get the dreaded "not acceptable" rating, which CR just slapped on the Montero.
To add to the above poster:

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/06/20/home_auto/autos_cu/

This is a CNN financial article, I was unable to quickly find a link to an actual CR article.

It would have been one of my other choices if MDX had not turned up.

12 pm. OK, a video on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2001/06/20/mitsubishi.cr.affl.med.html

Scary!
I am sure this is the part of the same test which also involved the MDX. I wonder if there is a way to obtain the MDX video.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Montero

vip9 said:

12 pm. OK, a video on CNN
http://www.cnn.com/video/us/2001/06/20/mitsubishi.cr.affl.med.html

Scary!
I am sure this is the part of the same test which also involved the MDX. I wonder if there is a way to obtain the MDX video.
WOW! Scary is right vip... and that's at a relatively low speed. You see that right front tire blowout on the silver one. Yikes!

I would love to see all the other SUV's they tested. I guess Mitsu is trying to save face by claiming the test isn't real world... low speed, a car pulls out in front of you, you cut the wheel to avoid it. What's not real world about that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
H2ODavid said:
I could see the frame and body flex, then a chrome colored rod the width of the car fell out from the bottom of his MDX. He kept on driving, probably with wet pants!

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Maybe the chrome rod that fell out cured his "thud" problem?

·
681 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just think if--

This was a Ford Explorer? It probably would have tipped over. If someone is going that fast, slams on the brakes to avoid an accident, my opionion was very lucky he didn't wreck. He sounds like he needs a lesson in driving.

Lmeans

P.S. I should put he or she. It doesn't have to be a man driver to be an idiot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Disagree about the NSX

It would handle the 90mph lane change. Just give me one to show you with and I promise I'll give yo uthe keys back after I prove it works <cough> :)

Actually, I don't think the NSX even has VSA yet. It'd probably spin out if an inexperienced driver stomps the brakes and then spins the steering wheel hard... ;-)

·
Registered
282 Posts
The NSX reference was to stress a point....

I just meant that even with a great sports car that is meant for some spirited driving, even the latest technology can not save you from yourself when you go beyond your limits or should I say stupidity or ignorance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"I don't think you need stability control at that point - you need idiot insurance."

Does AcuraCare cover Idiot Insurance?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Are you here?

bdespain said:
Just out of curiousity, is the crazy driver on this forum and willing to give us the blow by blow details?;)
Even if the driver is a forum member, I don't think he/she will ever step forward. Not with all the derogatory remarks thrown at him/her!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
H2ODavid said:
Consumer's Report loved the MDX, but said the emergency handling was poor because of a fishtailing problem. I just saw it.
Pardon the interruption, but just to clarify, Consumer Reports did NOT say that the MDX's emergency handling was "poor." They said it was "fair" (the half-black dot). "Poor" is the solid black dot.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Fair or poor, or whatever rating is there - what's the difference to those who already drive MDX? Of course, the ~4.5k lbs truck cannot handle in emergency as good as a sedan - it does require getting used to, changing the driving habbits, decreasing the speed limits (90 mph on a busy freeway - sh1t for brains 100%). Think 5 times before rushing in it somewhere, jumping from lane to lane, going fast on curves, etc... (done that - thank god, breaks on a dry pavement work GREAT!)
After reading Vip9's comments about his winter driving experiences, I am getting a bit concerned about braking and handling on wet, icy and snowy surfaces. VTM will get you out, but it won't help you to halt fast! Instead of watching pros trying to tip over the trucks at 40 mph, I'd rather see how the trucks handle emergency braking on wet asphalt, ice and snow...

·
Registered
181 Posts
sgtglok said:
Instead of watching pros trying to tip over the trucks at 40 mph, I'd rather see how the trucks handle emergency braking on wet asphalt, ice and snow...
Have to agree on this, 100%. I'm in Miami and the rainy season (hopefully) should be hitting us. Miami drivers suck to begin with, when there's a little water on the ground, forget it!

Just yesterday I started looking for a driving school to take a 1 or 2 day class that has SUV's. I only found a few places, BMW being one of them. Having a realistic understanding of how this type of vehicle will handle in an emergency situation is suddenly high on my list. I would love to find a place that will let you use your own vehicle with outriggers on skid pad tests. Not that I want to blow a tire or damage my bute, but I would like to get a feel for MY MDX.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts