Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
JL_SS said:

SuperTech, I believe you are talking about MDX and not Pilot replacments?
I know people who work at Honda. They order plenty of transmissions too. Mostly Odysseys and Accords, but there have been a handful of Pilots. The only time the factory has bat an eye is when an order comes through for the "four shaft" '03+ MDX unit.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
A2MDXer said:
Well, wish me luck because now I have one of each type of tranny. I picked up the Pilot last night.
Congratulations! Since the 2006 Pilot has the redesigned transmission, I think you'll be okay!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks guys. In another week or two, I will post my impressions. One thing I never noticed about the Pilot is that it does not give the chirp when you lock it - it blasts the horn. It's a little thing but I hate the loud horn (scared the crap out of my kids the first time) so I will now only use the single click when locking it.

Otherwise, the 06 Pilot does pretty well compared to my 2001 MDX. Handling is a bit looser but it's also a bit softer. And I like having VSA and projector headlights.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, it appears as if the transmission bug has bitten me as well. I've got an '01 with 106,000 miles on it. When shifting into third gear (up or down) the engine revs and then the gear finally engages after a few seconds with a clunk. I'm taking it to the dealer (Montgomeryville Acura) on Wednesday. I'll keep you updated on what they say. Any advice on getting some help from Acura would be appreciated but with my mileage, I might be out of luck.

BTW: I just had the 105,000 service done the other week, so no matter what happens, I'm dumping a bit of change into my MDX. On the plus side(if there is one) the loaner car I had for the last service was an' 05 RL. I'll have to try for that one again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread after 5 years.

My 2004 MDX's original transmission went out shortly after the mfr warranty expired. Luckily, we had an extended one through Geico. We got a rebuilt transmission at that time for free.

Well, on Valentine's Day just a week ago, that one went out as well. That was on a busy road with my wife driving and my 2 year-old son in back. The car simply stopped and went into a 4-wheel skid right in the middle of heavy traffic. She didn't get hit (again, luckily) and everyone's okay. Needless to say, we're pretty soured on Acura and their ****ty transmission.

It's at the dealer now, and the service manager himself told us we should unload this POS as soon as it's done. Luckily (notice how often that term comes up in this reply?), that tranny was still under warranty from the place Geico got it from.

I don't give a **** about the reputation Acura has, it's all BS. I've owned Subarus, Nissans, even Dodges with fewer problems, and the problems they did have were far less significant than requiring a new transmission every three to four years.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I'm resurrecting this thread after 5 years.

My 2004 MDX's original transmission went out shortly after the mfr warranty expired. Luckily, we had an extended one through Geico. We got a rebuilt transmission at that time for free.

Well, on Valentine's Day just a week ago, that one went out as well. That was on a busy road with my wife driving and my 2 year-old son in back. The car simply stopped and went into a 4-wheel skid right in the middle of heavy traffic. She didn't get hit (again, luckily) and everyone's okay. Needless to say, we're pretty soured on Acura and their ****ty transmission.

It's at the dealer now, and the service manager himself told us we should unload this POS as soon as it's done. Luckily (notice how often that term comes up in this reply?), that tranny was still under warranty from the place Geico got it from.

I don't give a **** about the reputation Acura has, it's all BS. I've owned Subarus, Nissans, even Dodges with fewer problems, and the problems they did have were far less significant than requiring a new transmission every three to four years.
Sorry to hear that, glad no one was hurt. If you have a 2004, you have a different transmission design than 01/02. This thread is about the the 01/02. You need to post in the 2004-2006 tranny problem thread.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks. I'll do that.

I'm just extremely angry at this point. I can't believe Honda, with such a great reputation, would put such a poor product on the road.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you went into a four wheel lock on a busy highway, you should file a complaint with the NTSB ( I think it stands for National transportation safety board).

Your situation was definately a safety issue and glad no one was hurt as well as I would not like to be the car behind.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
If you went into a four wheel lock on a busy highway, you should file a complaint with the NTSB ( I think it stands for National transportation safety board).

Your situation was definately a safety issue and glad no one was hurt as well as I would not like to be the car behind.
The thing that concerns me is that this is not a common failure mode for the Acura tranny, and it happened on a tranny rebuilt by someone other than Acura. Makes me suspect the rebuild company.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for all the different views. I am going to do a little more research on the rebuild company and Geico and see exactly where I should direct my energy. The whole situation has soured me on Acura, but I think the majority of my displeasure has probably been misdirected toward them.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Thanks for all the different views. I am going to do a little more research on the rebuild company and Geico and see exactly where I should direct my energy. The whole situation has soured me on Acura, but I think the majority of my displeasure has probably been misdirected toward them.
Well, your first tranny should not have failed under 100K, so it is understandable to be disappointed with the Acura. I can also certainly see having your family put in danger compounding that, whether it is misdirected or not.

In general a lot of the aftermarket warranty companies do not give you a choice, they can even put in a tranny out of a junkyard. It is usually best to try and purchase an extended warranty backed by the vehicle manufacturer if possible.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts