Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Much worse than average" ratings in the 2006 issue after MDX got (how I don't know) "better than average" tranny rating in the 2005 issue.

After all of this - and similar tranny ratings in the CL and TL - Acura doesn't step up to the plate and formally extend the tranny warranty for 01 and 02 MDX's.

For Sale: 2002 MDX with about 52k miles on it. I am officially beginning to shop for the replacement.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
all I can say is "awww sh*t" oh well. Got the extended warranty. Well see how long the Russian roulette will be.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ouch - that's a stinger. Must have been alot more "incidents" reported this year.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Markedoc said:
For Sale: 2002 MDX with about 52k miles on it. I am officially beginning to shop for the replacement.
CR is ok for total neophytes, but the well informed types usually have the scoop long before they do. Transmission problems have been documented for quite some time here on this board. Or did you just need CR to solidify it for you? I would've thought that Honda's introduction of an all new 5 speed auto just two years after the MDX came to market was a pretty good sign of saying that the transmission was a weak point.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Re: Re: Consumer Reports finally dings 01 and 02 trannys

SuperTech said:

CR is ok for total neophytes, but the well informed types usually have the scoop long before they do. Transmission problems have been documented for quite some time here on this board. Or did you just need CR to solidify it for you? I would've thought that Honda's introduction of an all new 5 speed auto just two years after the MDX came to market was a pretty good sign of saying that the transmission was a weak point.
Very true - but having CR report this will likely put a dent in resale values.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Consumer Reports finally dings 01 and 02 trannys

screbr said:

Very true - but having CR report this will likely put a dent in resale values.

That is what I was concerened about.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Consumer Reports finally dings 01 and 02 trannys

SuperTech said:

Of course I know about the MDX's "transmission problems" by reading this board. But it's impossible to really tell by reading this board how MUCH of a problem the transmission really is. Acura certainly won't tell you. Is it 1%? 10%? More? Lots of threads about problem trannys, and threads about about people who have had no problems either.

Yes, it aggravates me that Acura won't step up to the plate and formally extend the warranty on the transmission. One of the main reasons why I bought the Acura was for its reputation for reliability. Maybe I should have know better because of the Honda Odyssey tranny problems, but I ended up with the MDX. I have practically driven the wheels off of my last Japanese cars that I have owned and was hoping to do the same with this car, eventually keeping it for a second vehicle a few more years down the road.

Yes, I considered an extended warranty, but haven't (if it's still an option) pulled the trigger, because I have been considering moving into a sedan. I have owned many Japanese and many German cars, and have not been all that impressed with the value the MDX has provided for $40,000. It's a decent vehicle with very good utility, but in my opinion, it lacks the refinement I would expect in a $40,000 vehicle. Again, just my opinion, and maybe I should stick with sedans, who knows. But the thought of pouring $2k more into an extended warranty to cover my a$$ if the tranny breaks after 50,000 miles doesn't make sense - to me. I would hope (I am not a mechanic, I am an accountant, so what the hell do I know) that a tranny would be solid for a lot more than 50,000 miles.

Would Acura cover my transmission if it fails in the next 25k miles? Maybe? Probably? With a fight? I guess if you can go by other's experience, there's a good chance Acura would cover it, but with my local dealer, EVERYTHING is a battle. They are like the Capital One ad with David Spade ... "the answer is always no!".

So I am going to start looking harder for a replacement. Nothing wrong with the MDX at the moment, and I've taken the biggest part of the depreciation hit (ie - the first 1-2 years) so I can take my time. I just think it's time to move on to a sedan, probably AWD, which will be more suitable for 99% of my driving anyways. Hopefully I can pick one that i can hang onto, relatively worry free, for 8-10 years. And no, it won't be an Acura.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Consumer Reports finally dings 01 and 02 trannys

Markedoc said:
Maybe I should have know better because of the Honda Odyssey tranny problems, but I ended up with the MDX.
A few years ago, i had a heated battle with the elders on this forum about MDX's tranny problem. They all said that it won't happen on the MDX. It's a different tranny than Ody's. I was nearly banned for expressing such impossibility! I hate to rub it in now....:D

BTW, i believe that the tranny problem is a DESIGN FLAW. I have a friend with Acura TL on their FIFTH (5th) tranny!! My cousin's TL 2nd tranny is on it's way out. My fiance's 2001 Honda Accord blew it's tranny at 97K miles (she's a granny when driving). Her 2nd tranny is already acting up at 105K miles! This is why we dumped it and got the Highlander. What does this all mean?? Acura has NOT found a solution! Nobody really knows if the new tranny (5-speed) is any different...we will find out over the next few years.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I was convinced that Honda trannys were a problem after reading the 2005 Service Bulletins. In 12 Bulletins, there must have been 7 articles on "How to Ship a Tranny back to Honda" or How to empty a tranny before shipping" or "What Codes to use to get a reman tranny " and on and on.
It became clear to me that Honda has accepted that their trannys need routine replacement in the normal service life of their vehicles, and they have just added it to the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think Acura/Honda needs to add a new accessory when they sell the vehicles new as a complimentary accessory. You open up the trunk or back hatch, where there is a new ready- to- install transmission on a pallet (with a bow on top). You store that in your garage until it is time to take it in to get the transmission swapped out. Will save some time in writing up service bulletins on the subject.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Another reason why I jumped on the oppurtunity to buy the last bullet proof honda product in my opinion: 2004 Honda Legend aka Acura RL. Simple 4 speed transmission and reliable Legend technology......The 05 RL's tranny's are already showing "early" signs of failure in my opinion......read the RL boards to see for yourself........So far my 05 MDX has been ok, I do notice a odd downshift to third gear when coming to a stop or slowing down.......I'm keeping an eye/ear on it......:mad: I only have 8000 miles or so too !

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Consumer Reports finally dings 01 and 02 trannys

tigmd99 said:

A few years ago, i had a heated battle with the elders on this forum about MDX's tranny problem. They all said that it won't happen on the MDX. It's a different tranny than Ody's. I was nearly banned for expressing such impossibility! I hate to rub it in now....:D

Acura has NOT found a solution! Nobody really knows if the new tranny (5-speed) is any different...we will find out over the next few years.
A few years ago there was a technician on this board that said that the transmission was going to be a problem. Not many wanted to believe him, and some even went to try and discredit him. I'm sure he'd like to really rub it in now.

And Acura did find a solution. They made a totally new transmission for '03. The 2001-02 unit was actually in fact loosely based on the Odyssey unit. It also shares some design architechture with the plagued CL/TL unit. But it is different than the Odyssey unit. It has a different case and final drive to have the transfer gear bolt on. Which is what allows the MDX to be AWD. The '03-up unit shares nothing with the other designs. Whatever they did...they fixed it. The amount of internal failures I've seen from it are far less than the old one.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Fabvsix said:
The 05 RL's tranny's are already showing "early" signs of failure in my opinion......read the RL boards to see for yourself........
Link me to this. Other than all the recalls for software/control unit updates, some squeaks and rattles, and a couple keyless access problems, the RL has been pretty solid so far. I haven't seen a single powertrain failure of any kind at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My thoughts on the the 01-02 MDX transmission (I have an 02 with 62K on it). A larger than normal population of these transmission will fail; however, some of these transmissions will probably last a normal lifetime (what ever that is). If it has not failed yet either you have a good one or it is a ticking time bomb. Time will tell.

Honda has not warranted these transmissions to 100K like they did with the TL so most likely they are better transmission with a lower failure rate in comparison. I believe, the more miles you have on the transmission the more likely the chance that you have one of the transmissions that will last a normal life.

That said the decision is to take the depreciation hit and trade /sell the MDX and get another vehicle versus paying for a new transmission (worst case) or continue success with the current transmission.

Since my next vehicle will be 40K+ my plan is to take a chance on the transmission, if it fails - have it replaced and drive it for 5-6 months to recoup the cost (Figure a $500/month payment on a new vehicle) and then get a new vehicle. With a new/replaced transmission it should help the resale value versus the unknown of a tranny with 62K on it.

Tough decision - good luck.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Its unfortunate about the tranny issues. Hopefully (knock on plood) that my '03 tranny design does indeed address the issue.

The reason I have bought Acura was dependability, and yes, no car is perfect, BUT the tranny is a pretty big deal.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Being on CR can serve as two positives.
One, it means there are not just a bunch of worry-warts on the forum, and the signficance of failures is beyond this small segment of owners represented here.

By having the problem known on a national database gives it greater visibilty.
And the manufacturer 'should' assume more responsibility for it.
It may not be just a black mark, but an indication that Acura/Honda owners expect MORE reliability from their vehicles, than perhaps other owners (with the possible exception of Nissan, Toyota, et al).
And based on the history of the marque, they have every right to expect that.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Supertech,
I'm talking about the "whining" noise some are complaining about.....tranny seals leaking, too low of fluid on the rear diff was addressed, but come on......too early to tell to be honest....I certainly hope NO trans problems with current products selling....www.acuraworld.com
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It's really not that early to tell. The '05-up RL transmission is almost the exact one from the '03-up MDX. The strange thing to me is that while the transfer gear case in filled with 80w-90 gear oil on the MDX, on the RL it calls for ATF-Z1.

I have seen only a handful of internal failures on the '03-up MDX transmission, so one would think that the unit in the new RL will be pretty solid. Leaks on the other hand...that something that has never been fixed. Axle seals or torque convertor seals. Those have a pretty consistent failure rate no matter what the year of the MDX is.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SuperTech said:
It's really not that early to tell. The '05-up RL transmission is almost the exact one from the '03-up MDX. The strange thing to me is that while the transfer gear case in filled with 80w-90 gear oil on the MDX, on the RL it calls for ATF-Z1.

I have seen only a handful of internal failures on the '03-up MDX transmission, so one would think that the unit in the new RL will be pretty solid. Leaks on the other hand...that something that has never been fixed. Axle seals or torque convertor seals. Those have a pretty consistent failure rate no matter what the year of the MDX is.
SuperTech,

Not sure if you know this but is the tranny in the 06 Pilot similar to that of the newer MDXs? I ask b/c I will be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Are the rebuilt trannies "fixed"?? If Acura did indeed have found the problem, then why are the rebuilted trannies still failing??

Maybe MDX's trannies fail later in life because most owners don't drive as hard (or abuse) as TL's owners. Remember, Acura/Honda could be playing a dangerous game...if they warranty every Acura to 100K miles, then it will cost them too much. But, if they just warranty the high-risk group (Acura TL's), then they can get away with the rest of the owners. My fiance's Accord had an easy life (my fiance is a granny when driving)...thus, it failed at 97K. My cousin is on his 2nd tranny at only 60K (and it's on it's way out too)...he obviously drives harder than my fiance.

Remember, after 100K miles, you're on your own. Most owners will be going to local shops a that time to get this fixed/replaced rather than being screwed at Acura dealerships.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts