Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my mom bought the car certified in 2008 (2004 MDX touring), there has been constant scraping coming from a certain wheel, at first, the dealer noted this was because of a bent backing plate rubbing up against some part of the wheel (forget what exactly it was hitting) so every few months we would end up taking the car to have one of the plates bent to eliminate the embarrassing noise, now that I own the car, the dealer is blaming it on a build up of rust on the backing plate, causing it to make noise, we have spent hundreds getting these fixed!
Can I just buy new backing plates (how much $$)

Will the problem be resolved once I get new tires and brakes done (the tires are way overdue)

Is there a fix like puutibg extra washers onto the bolts that hold the plates on to give more room between wheel/brakes and backing plate?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't understand the load of crap they are giving you.

If you had a bent plate, then one time to the dealer to "un-bend" it should be enough!!!

If there is truly rust behind the mounting bolts, you may have bigger problems.

Since I cannot see the vehicle, it is very difficult to know exactly what is making your noise. A broken brake clip could be part of the problem, but any decent dealer, heck even a poor dealer should have checked that. It's also possible you have a wheel bearing dry and it can make a screeching noise.

His is what I would do, if you are mechanically so inclined.

Use quality jack stands 4 of them, and on a level surface put the entire car up on the four stands. Make sure it is solid, use the jack points, do not use suspension parts. Start and place the vehicle in D5, and let it idle, have a helper stay in the vehicle in case of emergency. Without getting too close to the now moving tires, try and isolate exactly which wheel is really the problem. You may need to use reverse to get the noise to appear, if so, lightly apply the brakes to make sure all wheels are stopped before changing directions.

Once you get the noise isolated, shut everything down, and tear into that wheel, check everything for straightness, if nothing found, remove the caliper, (leave the hose connected) and repeat the process above, except DO NOT USE THE BRAKES, use neutral, and allow the wheels to coast to a stop. This will tell you if you have a wheel bearing bad or not.

There is a lot more to this, but it gives you an idea of what is needed to find noises like this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts